Sleep deprivation due to deaf neighbour

Options

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never found ear plugs very effective but when I noticed the recommendation for bioears I thought worth a punt until I read the negative reviews from people who had to go to hospital to have them removed :-(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0013HGG0C/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one/279-8828766-5327554?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options

The worse night so far has been her music night. Thin Lizzie, Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet. Coulda been worse I suppose. Coulda been jazz. Nice.
    Or that Bjork song...its oh so quiet, so peaceful until....

That made me laugh! Takes me right back!

Seriously though, I really hope you get something sorted soon. Sleep deprivation is awful. You sound like the kind of neighbour we would all like to have. Some good suggestions. When I was nursing, a lot of elderly people do become more nocturnal, and there isn't anything you can really do about that. I'd imagine she will be horrified once she knows. And as others have said, it could be that her eyesight has also deteriorated and she isn't ignoring your letter.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I have never found ear plugs very effective but when I noticed the recommendation for bioears I thought worth a punt until I read the negative reviews from people who had to go to hospital to have them removed :-(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0013HGG0C/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one/279-8828766-5327554?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

OMG!! I was considering trying these Bioears thingies, as I not only suffer horrendous tinnitus, but have a DH who snores like a pneumatic drill (even being nearly deaf, I can hear him, as he's right next to my ear). Having read the reviews, I shall give them a wide berth - many thanks for the timely warning, missile.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was a bit surprised to read that about the earplugs as we've been using them for several years now without incident, but I fully believe it. We always buy them in a high street shop so I hadn't encountered these accounts, and I felt worried I'd recommended something dangerous!

What I will say is that I suspect some of this may be down to not following the directions and merely shoving them in, or tearing them in half to get them further into the ear as they're fairly large. They're not meant to go 'in' your ear as the foam ones do and instead form a seal over the top of your ear. A comparable US brand has now added more vigorous warnings to this effect. In my view this minimizes the risk of problems with them getting stuck as I find they don't break up without putting some effort into it. But I'll certainly be more circumspect in my recommendation from now on.

If anyone else has suggestions for something they'd tried I'd be happy to hear them, particularly as the bioears do need regular replacing and aren't particularly cheap.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think there is more to it. She is likely in denial either about the deafness or she has of some kind of dementia. Becoming nocturnal quite often goes with some dementias. It is also very easy to slip into nocturnal habits when you have nothing in particular to get up for. I find it happens to me a lot because I have a 21 year old who is out of work and presently waiting for his degree course in October.

He spends all night talking to someone in a different time zone on the internet. I wake up and think I have nothing to get up for, so I turn over a go back to sleep. Before I know it I am on nights too.

I think it is worth trying ear plugs until it is sorted because it does take a few weeks for the council to sort noise issues out. They have procedures to follow. These are necessary to protect people from malicious complaints.

Local Authorities send their staff on hundreds of courses. They don't just send wardens and welfare officers on courses on how to deal with deafness, dementia, blindness and all manor of thing they also send the electrician and plumbers on these courses too. Everyone goes on a customer care course every year. Who ever sees her will be tactful and they will be told she is deaf.

They will refer her to a welfare officer they cannot send one to her about the noise. A welfare officer can refer her to other departments so she is likely to get assessed for any care she may need and any benefits she may not be claiming. Far from complaining about her you will be doing her a favour. They will not tell her you have complained.

How do I know all this? When I developed a bad back I had to give up nursing and I got a job with my local authority as a warden.

FPK have you referred your neighbours to your local authority. It has nothing what so ever to do with if your neighbours owning their house and everything to do with public health. We may not have a medical officer of health any more but we still have an environment department and that looks after public health. Noise is one of the biggest public health problems LAs have to deal with.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Don't worry Nurstmaggie, he's been referred. In fact, this most recent complaint builds on our last issue. It is my experience with how well it has been handled in that past that has made me suggest it. They really do take into account what is written in the complaint and make every effort to tailor their visit, bringing relevant people when they can. In our area it is a very effective service.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Thanks Upsidedown Bear, the sample pack looks like just the ticket. I'm not fond of the foam ones,personally I find them very uncomfortable but I like the idea of trying out different sorts.
  • Lance_De_Boils
    Options
    Oh dear.
    The lady has broken my heart.
    We bumped into each other on the stairs today and her face lit up. She said "How are you? I haven't seen you in ages". I said fine thank you and there was a pregnant pause while I waited for her to mention the note I had put through her door.
    She didn't. So I asked "Did you see my note?" She said "oh, was it from you? I didn't realize. What was it about? I couldn't read it because my eyes are bad".

And so I had to tell her. She asked how long her telly had been too loud. I lied and told her "not long". She also asked when I could hear it. I told her "after midnight".

She was very apologetic and I think a little embarrassed. We both agreed that sound probably travels more at night.

Tonight there is silence from above, but of course now I am worrying that she is creeping about and afraid to make a noise.

Your posts have all been very helpful and kind.

If the problem should continue I will go down the welfare/social services route, rather than contact the noise nuisance department.
    I will get some earplugs.

Old age can be a lonely place for some. And deafness can be a lonely place for some. I will keep an eye (and ear) out for her to see what I can do to maybe help out a little.
  • amibovvered
    Options
    Just a thought - and of course, not much use if she likes listening to music a lot! - but I wonder if she knows how to use subtitles? Although I do like to try and hear the voices as well, I rely on subtitles to follow TV programmes so hopefully my TV isn't on loud enough to annoy my neighbours (semi, not flat, so slightly different).

Although on second thoughts, if her eyesight is too bad to read a note, subtitles may not be the answer either! Poor lady.
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure