We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Baby on Board signs

Options

Comments

• Anatidaephobia
    Options
    I always thought that (initially) people used them in some misconceived idea that it would encourage other drivers to drive more safely near their car. But now they're definitely just a fashion accessory. I've seen quite a few cars with several of them with silly slogans all on the back window; all they're doing is giving the driver of that car a few extra blind spots!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2015 at 12:47AM
    Options
    I always thought that (initially) people used them in some misconceived idea that it would encourage other drivers to drive more safely near their car. But now they're definitely just a fashion accessory. I've seen quite a few cars with several of them with silly slogans all on the back window; all they're doing is giving the driver of that car a few extra blind spots!

You're correct:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

I find it strange that the suggestion was people should be more careful when seeing these signs rather than just being careful all the time. I prefer not to crash into other vehicles regardless of who the occupants are so I opt for the latter approach.

John
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I take it to mean that there's possibly a distracted driver on board and therefore keep a good stopping distance. Now that I have a baby I can really understand what a distraction they are.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kynthia wrote: »
    I take it to mean that there's possibly a distracted driver on board and therefore keep a good stopping distance. Now that I have a baby I can really understand what a distraction they are.

Really? LMAO!

No, they are a sign that the driver of the car can breed:T

Yes, I have bred also, but have never put one of those signs in my car because-

Emergency Services can spend precious time searching for the ' baby/princess/monster on board' who actually isn't!

There are some very strange people around, and I never wanted to advertise the fact that I had a person in the car that these strange people would want!

If you see a Golf in Central England in your rear view (assuming you look) and the driver is shaking her head, it's probably me:rotfl::rotfl:
    20p Savers Club 2013 #17 £7.80/£120.00
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fizz wrote: »
    Really? LMAO!

No, they are a sign that the driver of the car can breed:T

Yes, I have bred also, but have never put one of those signs in my car because-

Emergency Services can spend precious time searching for the ' baby/princess/monster on board' who actually isn't!

There are some very strange people around, and I never wanted to advertise the fact that I had a person in the car that these strange people would want!

If you see a Golf in Central England in your rear view (assuming you look) and the driver is shaking her head, it's probably me:rotfl::rotfl:

To be honest, the massive car seats nowadays let everyone, including emergency services and strange people, know that there's a baby on board. :D So there's no reason to avoid them or to have them, they're more for decoration than anything else.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    More annoying the Little Princess on board signs
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lulu_92 wrote: »
    Why else have them? The stranger in the car behind you does not need to know you have a child, and I doubt they care. Cars with children in them are identifiable by the presence of car seats and the occasional sun shield on the window.
    Kynthia wrote: »
    To be honest, the massive car seats nowadays let everyone, including emergency services and strange people, know that there's a baby on board.
    I entirely disagree. I have a large vehicle, black level 0 car seat (newborn to 9 months) and rear tinted windows and there is no way it is visible from outside.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought they were another symptom of the "I'm special" society.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • KathyBerry
    KathyBerry Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I thought they where just so people drove carefully by your car.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I entirely disagree. I have a large vehicle, black level 0 car seat (newborn to 9 months) and rear tinted windows and there is no way it is visible from outside.

Fair point, but it still doesn't make the signs have any actual use.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills