Water leak on shared supply pipe

in Water bills
3 replies 1.6K views
Hi, we are one of five houses fed by a shared water supply pipe and it has a leak which falls under the responsibility of all properties.

The question is who arranges for the repair and how do they go about making sure each house pays their fare share of the costs?

One house is rented and the landlord has said they aren't going to pay towards the repair.


  • CardewCardew Forumite
    29K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    The water company will fix the leak.

    Then sue the landlord in the Small Claims court.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Ambassador
    44.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Two options, either someone takes the lead and arranges the repair and gets the money from each house owner or the water board sort it and bill each property owner.

    We had similar - 4 houses, one privately owned, one a private landlord and 2 owned by a housing association. The HA proved very difficult and it ended with the water board serving notice on all property owners, still nothing happened. The water board then arranged the repair and billed each house owner.

    There are rules on apportioning the bill. Whoever is served by the point on the pipe where the leak is, is liable to pay their share. The cost is divided equally between those who are liable.

    The landlord can say what they like, legally they are liable so will end up paying; that is often why it is easier to let the Water Board sort it. They will bill the landlord and you won't be involved. (If the landlord still refuses to pay the water board will take them to court and has the power to put a charge on the property).
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, in my home and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ask the water authority if they will fix it for free under the 'one free leak repair' scheme that many of them offer. Otherwise, do as Cardew suggests-the LL is clearly legally responsible for a leak on his own property.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools