Top Cash ISAs

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,375
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    UKDeejay wrote: »
    The above article mentions that many bank current accounts now offer interest rates on balances far above the best cash ISA rates.
    However, these bank accounts usually require that you pay a monthly fee - typically £10.00
    No they don't, you must be looking in the wrong place - try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#interest
    After all, who has large sums of money 'sloshing around' in their current account???
    Anyone who wants to earn better interest than they'd get putting it in a <1% traditional savings account or cash ISA.

And there's no need to refer to 'their current account' as if it needs to be singular.... ;)
  • Nohopeharry
    Nohopeharry Posts: 23
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Who has large amounts in their current account? Me unfortunately, in a HSBC one earning no interest at all. Thankfully, I've learned, and now have a few other current accounts with attached regular savers :j Im hoping to put some into an investment soon, but it's like a minefield lol
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

After all, who has large sums of money 'sloshing around' in their current account???

Me and many other posters on here.

Apart from Regular saver accounts, my current accounts have the highest intest rates. Where else do you suggest keeping cash savings?:cool:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Are cash ISAs genuinely safer than UK gilts? Seen as both are bugggered if the gov goes bust
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,532
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Who has large amounts in their current account?

All my cash savings are in my current accounts! All earning on average just over 4%
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    LTRT325 wrote: »
    I know I can only open 2 ISAs in a tax year (I cash and 1 investment) but can I end up with loads of ISAs over a number of tax years or do I always have to move my money to keep it in just the two ISAs? I read somewhere recently that you could only own 2 and now I am confused!!

Some though not all ISAs allow contributions made in previous years into other ISAs to be transferred in. Your current ISA providers should be able to advise which of the accounts you have allow transfers in.

Note that you need to go through particular steps to transfer the money; do not withdraw it otherwise you will not be able to pay it back into this years accounts (beyond this year's limits). Again your current providers should be able to advise on this.

If you do transfer old ISAs into new accounts I recommend getting the bank staff to do the transfer for you. I previously had problems with transferring funds (done by bank staff as a payment not a transfer) and since it was the bank's fault they could fix the transfer; if I had made the same mistake there would be no come back.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are cash ISAs genuinely safer than UK gilts? [STRIKE]Seen[/STRIKE]Seeing? as both are bugggered if the gov goes bust
    If the gov goes bust we're all bugggered in more ways than one. And the only safe place to have assets would be abroad (Euros, Dollars, property in Swizzerland etc).

But more relevant would be to consider which is safer if the gov does not go bust (a more likely scenario).

Brexit for example, may or may not turn out to be a good thing, but is highly unlikely to bankrupt the country. But it IS much more likely to hit gilts than cash savings (whether ISAs or not).

As would the election of JC as PM.
  • I just got a letter from Coventry BS saying they are putting up the rate on their Easy Access Cash ISA from 1.05 to 1.3% on 1st December. I believe that makes it the current Best Buy for Easy Access ISA's.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    SteveG2010 wrote: »
    I just got a letter from Coventry BS saying they are putting up the rate on their Easy Access Cash ISA from 1.05 to 1.3% on 1st December. I believe that makes it the current Best Buy for Easy Access ISA's.

Not a best buy. It was withdrawn last week.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Not a best buy. It was withdrawn last week.

But existing customers are getting 1.3% and can add this year's allowance to it.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback