Housing benefit overpayment- URGENT

Options
tucia
tucia Posts: 54 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 31 March 2015 at 6:34PM in Benefits & tax credits
Few months ago i received a letter from council that I have to pay overpayment for the property I was living previously. Overpayment is £13,000.00. I was shocked!!
I explain what was the situation. I was living there with my wife and 3 kids. I applied for housing benefit and both our names (mine and my wife) where on the claim. After while my wife cheated on me and I couldn't live with that so within one day I moved out. My life was ruined. I wasn't thinking about anything.
I wanted to sort out housing benefit but she said she will deal with. I think she was worrying that she won't get any money. After 1,5 she decided to inform housing benefit department that I moved out 1,5 year ago. I think she was adviced that she will be entitled for more money. Now HB department chasing me for money I have never received. All the time money were coming into her account. She still lives under this address but now I have to pay back huge amount of money.
Council is saying that I am responsible for that because I was a main claimant. Is that true? Her name was there as well and it was always coming to her bank account. Who is responsible for overpayment when were two names on the application ?
I don't really know what to do :( please help me!!!

Comments

• tucia
    Options
    Any advice??? I don't know who should be responsible for this?
  • LiveSimply
    Options
    I'm sorry I have no advice, but just wanted to say there will be more people around tomorrow, don't panic.
    Trying to connect. 
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help. I do think you need to contact the Council and ask them for a statement of your account so that you see how they've calculated the overpayment.
  • tucia
    Options
    Thanks. I will wait. I have no choice.
    I am just worrying. This is unrealistic amount for me. I won't be able to pay this at all. Why me? I have not seen this money!!!
  • tucia
    Options
    I got statement already. All this money my ex received not me but my name was there as a main claimant. Her name was there as well! I am speechless!!!
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are responsible to report any change in any circumstances .
    The cold hard truth is if you made a claim for Housing benefit and failed to declare any changes then the payment has been claimed outside of the rules and they can attempt to reclaim any over payment.

However, arrange a meeting and explain this was an over sight and request they re-evaluate any entitlement .
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If both your names are on the claim then you are both equally responsible for paying back the overpayment.
  • tucia
    edited 31 March 2015 at 11:26PM
    Options
    I made mistake. I should called myself but she said she will sort out everything. I was so stupid to believe her.
    I will pay if I have to but why council is asking only me to pay all overpayment. She should pay half of it as well.
    She still lives there. Probably she is getting more HB money and laughing that I have to pay what she received.
    I don't claim HB anymore but she is.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tucia wrote: »
    Thanks. I will wait. I have no choice.
    I am just worrying. This is unrealistic amount for me. I won't be able to pay this at all. Why me? I have not seen this money!!!

'Why me'? Unfortunately if you didn't contact them and cancel the claim when you left then you are still responsible for at least half of the overpayment.
  • tucia
    Options
    I know that I made mistake but when your wife is cheating on you do you think clearly about other things?!
    I want council to allocate to me only 50% of this overpayment and I will try to pay this but will take very long time for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure