rotting neighbours fence!

Replies

• misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SailorSam wrote: »
    When i went out this morning i had a section of fence blown down near the gate. I noticed the post broken the other day, it looks as if someone has backed their car into it. So i can't fix the fence before i get a new post and don't even know where to begin. That's in a couple of foot of concrete, it will be a hell of a job to dig up, and those posts weigh a ton.
    Still there's Easter gone. Something will have to be done.

Cut the post nearer to the ground, but with enough left that you can pull it out still and kick it to loosen it too. Cuts the weight down a bit.
    Dig around rather than just down cos likely a whole load of ballast there too and if you can move the ballast then it comes out tiny bit easier.
    And boy do I feel for ya. :rotfl:
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    missprice wrote: »
    Cut the post nearer to the ground, but with enough left that you can pull it out still and kick it to loosen it too. Cuts the weight down a bit.
    Dig around rather than just down cos likely a whole load of ballast there too and if you can move the ballast then it comes out tiny bit easier.
    And boy do I feel for ya. :rotfl:

I've been thinking about it, you can see the steel rods inside the concrete post where it's broken. I wonder if i could knock it down and cut the steel right by the ground. Then instead of digging and getting a concrete post, just get a wooden one straight on top of the ground, Then if i get some sort of steel bracket to screw to the ground and hold the post. Even if it was only 4 great big shelf brackets, on the ground and up the post.
    I'll work something out, or like the Op ask my neighbour to fix it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • martinsurreymartinsurrey Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I've been thinking about it, you can see the steel rods inside the concrete post where it's broken. I wonder if i could knock it down and cut the steel right by the ground. Then instead of digging and getting a concrete post, just get a wooden one straight on top of the ground, Then if i get some sort of steel bracket to screw to the ground and hold the post. Even if it was only 4 great big shelf brackets, on the ground and up the post.
    I'll work something out, or like the Op ask my neighbour to fix it.

http://www.edecks.co.uk/products/407/43/145/0/Bolt_Down_Anchor_(100mm_x_100mm)?amp;utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CJvYicDs0sQCFYvpwgodlE4AlA

there you go.

bolt to the concrete slab, slot in wooden post, and tighten bolts.

RECLAIM YOUR BANK HOLIDAY! BEER FOR ALL!!!
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be perfect that Martin thanks.
    It's got to be better than trying to dig up the concrete,
    Cheers
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • 27col27col Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    emzky wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to do about this but our neighbours fence seems to be rotting away and has become really weak and bowing. We've had to patch it up on numerous occasions where it's failed to do it's duty just to keep our dogs on our yard. Last night we had some really strong winds which, surprise surprise, damaged the fence even more. Hubby had to go out and screw bits back on before work so the dogs wouldn't get through. If we didn't have dogs I wouldn't be so worried. My only concern is they have recently had two rabbits and if our dogs get to them it might end up badly. What do we do? We can't afford to spend money on someone else's fence. But at the same time understand it is our responsibility to keep our dogs safe.
    Let's see if I've got this right. You own a dog, but you expect someone else to pay for a fence to keep it in your garden.
    You know darn well that it is entirely your responsibility to keep your animals fenced in. But you are pleading poverty. Amazing how you have enough money to cover the not inconsiderable cost of owning a dog. But amazingly, cannot afford the other part of the cost of dog ownership.. Namely, that of keeping the animal enclosed.
    I, and no doubt, many others, think you have a b****y cheek.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Why are your neighbours rotting?
  • edited 31 March 2015 at 8:15PM
    NeverInDebtNeverInDebt Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2015 at 8:15PM
    As said dog is your responsibility therefore is up to you to make sure your dog doesn't' go in other peoples garden. Do you expect others to clean up your dog mess as well? Its part and parcel of owning a dog, it doesn't just end with buying dog food

Why not get some fence posts costs a £6-£8 each for 7 foot and get some postcrete around £7 a bag. Use old pallets between posts
  • Hoof_HeartedHoof_Hearted Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some nice people on here! If the wooden posts are OK, how about getting a roll of chicken wire and tacking that along the length of the fence? Relatively cheap solution.

It is annoying when neighbours don't shoulder their responsibilities.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Some mistakes here. I assume in this case though most of you are correct but in some cases title deeds will say if you are required to have a fence and to what standard.

In our case the neighbours need to erect a stock proof fence to keep the beasts out. They do make a lovely mess of their lawn when they do get in :).

(They bought the ground with that proviso written in to the deeds.)
  • 27col27col Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some nice people on here! If the wooden posts are OK, how about getting a roll of chicken wire and tacking that along the length of the fence? Relatively cheap solution.

It is annoying when neighbours don't shoulder their responsibilities.
    You have missed the point entirely. It is not the the neighbours responsibility to keep your dog fenced in. They have no other responsibility other than to maintain the boundary marking. They certainly do not have to maintain a fence if they don't want to.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides