any guinea pig money saving tips?

in Pets & Pet Care
724 replies 36.7K views

Replies

• Thanks lellie and borderlakland

Rufus was the same age as rocky. Just devastated to have lost him. He had a random ear infection and was on treatment for a couple of weeks, vet said he fought it really hard but just couldn't beat it. We always saw rufus as the tougher one... rocky is so called because he looks like he's been in a fight, he has one ear that is split in half- his mummy bit him when he was a baby.

I'm a bit wary of introducing another one just in case it doesn't work out... we wouldn't really have the space to accomodate two in separate quarters of decent sizes. Have been meaning to go over to the guinea pig rescue that you gave a link to though lellie... might have to give them a ring :-D

Will also look into the covered garden mesh/hardboard. I hadn't thought about that but am liking the idea of a DIY pen

Thanks again
    Very excited to be marrying my partner in crime for the last 7 years in September 2012 :j
    No longer a midlandsfairy... back living in the sunny south!
  • robwendrobwend Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    rocky will really need a freind. they are pack animals and you will be depriving him of company and make him very depressed. rocky will mix totally fine with whatever mate you give him. ive never heard of a agressive GP lol
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • lellielellie Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    aww poor piggy..

I'll try and get some photos taken of our set up. They've got a pen made out of hardboard which is lined with fleece blankets as bedding.. They've then got a ramp up to a small indoor cage (kept on a small table) that we got from petsathome. This small cage is mainly for travel, but they can use it to hide away in too. The cage is ideal as it will fit on the back seat of our car and they can come with us when we go visit family and such.

I think you should try and rescue a pig - the rescue will give you advice on how to introduce each other and they might be a bit grumpy and nip a bit but they won't hurt each other.. you could always talk to the rescue and agree between yourself that you will take one pig.. try it for a while - if they won't get on - take that pig back to the rescue and try another.. you'll eventually get a pair to bond. The people at the rescue we went to said that sometimes when they get a bunch of pigs arrive at once and they have to pair them off, very occasionally a pair might not work and they just swap them over until they all make friends - they've paired lots up though and usually they become best buddies! :)
  • Have rung the rescue centre and left a message so hopefully they will call me back. thats a really good idea lellie, i hadn't thought about seeing if they would agree to take the adopted one back if they were to fight badly when introduced and try another.

Did you have a good experience with adopting your pigs?
    Very excited to be marrying my partner in crime for the last 7 years in September 2012 :j
    No longer a midlandsfairy... back living in the sunny south!
  • LizD_2LizD_2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You could try http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/ or www.cavyrescue.co.uk, they have lots of links to rescue places.
  • VindieselVindiesel Forumite
    472 Posts
    LizD wrote: »
    Hi Vin

You should be fine with GPs if you are ok with other small animals. If you're not sure, try going to a rescue place and volunteering with them. This will also get you used to handling them: they do have a tendency to wriggle and jump out of your hands if you're not confident. Even small falls can seriously injure pigs as they're not designed for it.

GPs need a large hutch to live in and a secure run for exercise. They love to eat grass - your garden is like an all you can eat buffet to them!

Most people keep them in large rabbit cages when indoors. I have a similar set up to this:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3105/cat/515

This site has loads of useful information.

Mine chatter their teeth when hungry (I think it's their versio of licking their lips), but I've not heard them grinding. They do gnaw a lot though.

Get some good books: I would recommend any by the late Peter Gurney - a genuine expert on our furry friends.

If you decide to get some, go to a rescue centre first - there's usually loads looking for homes. You'll be hooked, though!

Hi Liz

thanks for the repsonse :-) That is some helpful advice..there is a local pet rescue centre that i would like to 'rescue' some pigs from. Just to clarify though- you said they don't grind their teeth but they gnaw? what exactly do you mean- like hamsters grind their teeth on the sides of the cage as they HAVE to to keep their teeth ground down- do pigs do something similar? Are they noisy when doing this?

thanks

ps- in some of the photos they are running round people's kitchens. Do they not get stuck in awkward places like under the fridge or behind the cupboards or are they genreally well behaved?! One or two of my hamsters got under the floor boards never to return..wouldn't want to suffer that trauma again ha ha

cheers V
  • robwendrobwend Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    well they are just like large hamsters really lol so yes if theres a gap they may try there luck. leave them to play in rooms where you know they cant squeese out or down anything lol, coz if one gets stuck....boy will you know about it!!lol like pigs being murdered
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • nodwahnodwah Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Vindiesel, i'm a GP owner of 1 week and so far they scuttle for a dark place as soon as poss so I reckon they would end up under the fridge etc and also they knaw the sides of the wee wooden 'house' they have in the hutch. Mine have been outside so far but I honestly lie awake worrying about them so they will have to come in at some point! (my DH isn't keen - but he can go outside!!)
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • LizD_2LizD_2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Mine hid behind the loo after a bath (was contemplating handing myself over to the RSPCA for being a bad mummy!). They'll usually come out in their own time if you leave them alone and put some food down.

They'll chew (and swallow) anything wooden or plastic, they need to keep their teeth down like most rodents. (Although technically, they're not scientifically classed as rodents anymore). Oh, and they probably won't use the chew blocks you can get, they'll probably go for their hutch, cos it'll annoy you more! It can be loud, but it's not constant.

As Robwend says, they do escape, but probably won't go far unless frightened.
  • nodwahnodwah Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've had our GPs for just over a week now and I don't think the've ever drunk any of the water from the thingy on the side of the hutch.
    DO they get enough water from their food? ( they esp like cucumber and carrot) I know I saw them drinking at the rescue centre.
    I thought they maybe were stressed about new surroundings etc, but they seem to recognise me as the carer already so presumably are fairly relaxed.
    So don't they drink much?
    They sure pee a lot!:rotfl:
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides