Barclaycard

Hi
ive messed up, I have 4 credit cards, which I am paying off, one has been cleared. Unfortunately as I owe about 10,000 on my Barclaycard and paying interest, the payments are high and half of it has been eaten up in interest.
Unfortunately this month I could not make the payment I have been in touch with them who said I had an excellent credit with them (been with Barclaycard for 8 years never missed) there was nothing they could do only put me through their credit management team.
I cannot jump to a 0% was wondering would it be better for me to go through their credit management team, as my credit file would be effected either way by not making payment. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you do a balance transfer for the minimum payment from the one that has been cleared (even if it's not 0%)? Or indeed any of the others if they are not at their limit?
  • Money_Mad_3
    Money_Mad_3 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I can't transfer closed the account which I had paid so as not to get tempted in using it again.
    Think I am stuck really.
  • tripled
    What about the other two?
  • Money_Mad_3
    Hi
    There isnt much left on the other two. Do you think if my husband got a balance transfer card he could use that to transfer my balance onto his. (Justing trying to think of an idea) But never heard of anyone doing this.
    Sorry if you think no chance:(
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Money_Mad wrote: »
    Hi
    There isnt much left on the other two. Do you think if my husband got a balance transfer card he could use that to transfer my balance onto his. (Justing trying to think of an idea) But never heard of anyone doing this.
    Sorry if you think no chance:(

Do you have any joint accounts with your husband?

Apart from this missed payment with Barclaycard, what is your credit history like? Any other late payments, defaults, CCJs etc?

Assuming you do have a joint account with your husband and also assuming his credit history is clean, your late payment marker may affect his chances of taking out a new 0% BT card.

If he already has a credit card which has an existing offer for a 0% BT, then yes, he can transfer your Barclaycard debt onto his card. The balance transfer can't be done from another Barclaycard though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • tripled
    I think there are a few threads on this. From what I've seen, if you do the transfer online then it'll go through (providers don't ask for the cardholder name), but if you do it over the phone they might ask for the name and refuse if it's not your card. So yes, you should be able to do that if your husband can get a card.
  • Money_Mad_3
    Hi
    No joint bank accounts, my credit reference is ok only ok as I have many credit cards (husband doesnt believe in them so can't tell him the real problem) I have been with Barclaycard for 8 years and never missed nor have I missed the payments on others. This is the only time with Barclaycard, I did phone them and ask whether there was any thing with a better interest rate as I was struggling to pay this off, but they said no, and that because my account has been ran impeccably they may be able to do something next April. Because my balance is high the interest I am paying is £180 per month. so it is never going down (feel embarrassed now).
    I will have to ring them they did send me a text we are here to help, but didnt want to ruin my credit reference but as I have missed the payment date my credit reference will be ruined anyway.
    All my other accounts are ok being paid it just that Barclaycard was so high that I could not afford to pay such a high payment.
    Thanks for listening to me
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Does your husband actually know about your debts? If not, I would suggest you need to urgently sit down and talk to him, especially if you are going to need his help in paying them off.

Do you have a job/a salary? Anything you could sell to bring in some extra funds?

If you have debts on 4 cards and one is £10k, how much is your total debt? How was this incurred? Buying stuff for your household etc or by your own personal spending?

If you are struggling with repaying your debts, you should speak to one of the free debt charities. Also fill out a statement of affairs and post it over the DFW board where they can offer further advice.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Money_Mad_3
    Hi
    Yes he does know I have credit cards doesnt know how much the Barclaycard is though. A lot was spent on the household, and just got carried away with myself. Yes do have a salary, but after all bills and mortgage paid not a lot left.
    Many Thanks
  • Money_Mad_3
    Hi
    The only one I am really struggling with is the Barclaycard as I have missed a payment will have to find double the payment amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure