Tyre Pressure.

Options
13»

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The tyre pressures recommended by tyre and car manufacturers are just that, recommendations. They can't take all the variables into account so they are a 'one size fits all'

If you only do short journeys and the tyre never gets up to working temperature then you may benefit from a few pounds extra. The only sure way to get them right for you is to do a chalk test.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Read it again. The poster said under inflated fronts AND over inflated rears, so rear tyres having more pressure than the front.

You're really not understanding what you see in front of you. Read the whole post, not a selected bit.

By underinflated he means compared to the manufacturers recommendations. By over inflated he means compared to the recommended pressure.

You've them made up the bit about the rears having more pressure than the front.

His final sentence was:-

"I suggest following the recommended pressures. "
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    Options
    The tyre pressures recommended by tyre and car manufacturers are just that, recommendations. They can't take all the variables into account so they are a 'one size fits all'

If you only do short journeys and the tyre never gets up to working temperature then you may benefit from a few pounds extra. The only sure way to get them right for you is to do a chalk test.

My last car had three different recommended pressures for rear tyres.

One for driver only, one for moderately loaded and one for heavily loaded. There was a diagram with pictures of different numbers of people and suitcases.

In practice I had it fairly close to the moderately loaded most of the time, but going to France, packed and towing a trailer I pumped it up to the heavily loaded pressure and then let it down again when I returned.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,691 Forumite
    Options
    Read it again. The poster said under inflated fronts AND over inflated rears, so rear tyres having more pressure than the front.

Compared to the manufacturers spec. The fronts were 2psi under the spec (32) and the rears 4psi over the spec (26)

Nothing to do with the fronts being lower pressure than the rears, because they were the same (30).

If the car's spec said 30 front / 38 rear, that'd be fine, if they said 32 front / 26 rear, that'd also be fine.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

As has been clearly pointed out to you, best to read the whole post before jumping to conclusions about what it says.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Well my tyres are now the proper pressure.

32 at front, and 26 at back. Makes sense to have more at front and less at back i guess.

Thanks
  • Sam_Fallow
    Sam_Fallow Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    Well my tyres are now the proper pressure.

32 at front, and 26 at back. Makes sense to have more at front and less at back i guess.

Thanks

Well done. Happy Motoring.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure