Tyre Pressure.

paragon909
paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
So I've been looking online at those tyre pressure checking sites like aa and kwik fit.

I set all my tyres to 30psi. But some sites say set front to 31 or 32 and back to 26 psi.Why is it saying set back tyres lower psi, i've noticed on other sites people just set them all to the same, my tyres size are 185

Comments

• Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My cars has a sticker on the door frame with the correct pressure for my car
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    paragon909 wrote: »
    So I've been looking online at those tyre pressure checking sites like aa and kwik fit.

I set all my tyres to 30psi. But some sites say set front to 31 or 32 and back to 26 psi.Why is it saying set back tyres lower psi, i've noticed on other sites people just set them all to the same, my tyres size are 185

There will be a recommended tyre pressure setting for your car, usually found on the drivers door pillar. Different cars often have different recommended settings, and also, whether the car is loaded or towing as well. Please check your recommend settings first.
  • Yes, front and back are often different because the front tyres are loaded more than the rear. My car has a sticker that specifies different pressures for different loads in terms of people and luggage.
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite

What car?

4-5psi shouldn't be dangerous, but please be aware that extreme over inflation will cause loss of grip.
  • Sam_Fallow
    Sam_Fallow Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But some sites say set front to 31 or 32 and back to 26 psi.Why is it saying set back tyres lower psi,

Depending on the vehicle type/model. It will depend on the weight distribution of the car. No load on the rear compared to a lot of weight all up front means the front tyres bear more of the load and require more pressure.

I could be wrong, it's just my thoughts but it sounds plausible doesn't it.

As mentioned, find the sticker (usually in a door frame) with the correct tyre pressures.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Tyre pressure is a very important specification which the vehicle manufacturer, along with a selection of tyre manufactures will have spent a fair amount of time to get right.

You can't just whack in any old amount of air and hope it'll be OK.

As well as knowing what car it's also more than possible that the pressures will be different for the various different tyre and wheel options for your model.

And then there is the loading to take into account - a car with only the driver and perhaps one passenger will reqire different pressures from the same car carrying 5 people and all their luggage.

Should all be explained on the tyre inflation label - usually on the driver's door-post.

It;s easy to check - but we would need exact model, what year and exactly which tyre size you have.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    The other problem is how (in)accurate the air machines are at petrol stations.

I ran an Audi A4 many years ago and used to run the pressues a little higher than suggested as I found it to handle better.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    its 53 plate vauxhall corsa, tyre size says 185 on all sides.

When i checked the pressure it was quite low like at 20, But i've put all tyres to 30psi.
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    The other problem is how (in)accurate the air machines are at petrol stations.

I ran an Audi A4 many years ago and used to run the pressues a little higher than suggested as I found it to handle better.

Some cars, especially the high end models, then an incorrect tyre pressure will be very noticeable.

On my motorcycle with upgraded Ohlins suspension, I can tell if the tyre is out by 2psi !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure