MSE News: Co-op faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade

Options

Comments

• JJFGB
    JJFGB Posts: 10 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been a Co-op customer for 18 months. I still can't access my account as I don't exist despite having both my old and new account number. On Sunday I contacted the CEO and head of customer services and was promised it would be sorted the next day. So far nothing.

My last bill I could access before the change was in December. This means I have not had my March bill and I am due any day to get my next one.

As a member of the Co-op, I was thinking of going to there next AGM and raising their awful service. Then I had a thought. If all of us customers affected by this got together, we could force a no confidence vote in to the board.

Anyway, if I ever hear from the Co-op, I will let you all know.
  • geriatrix1
    geriatrix1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As someone who had a near escape from getting involved with Coop Energy, I recommend having a look at the blistering complaints and comments on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/cooperativeenergy

I'm beginning to wonder if the discredited bloke who was in charge of their bank, has now ended up in charge of their energy business. :-)
  • mikkadol
    mikkadol Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It's clearly well over 8 weeks since this co-op disaster occurred, therefore presumably the energy ombudsman has been notified and is taking some action(?). Can anyone confirm that the ombudsman is taking action? How can I find out?
    I can log into my co-op account but can't get any billing info etc etc.
  • nuunaa
    nuunaa Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Call 08000937540 to get straight through to somebody to help re website logins.
  • JJFGB
    JJFGB Posts: 10 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry Nuunaa, but firstly even that number has long queues and secondly, it is not a login on problem. I am advised that there has been a problem migrating my account from the old to the new system resulting in the account being unavailable. I have also been advised that "thousands of customers are affected".

Let's also not forget that as illustrated on this thread and elsewhere, even if you can access your account, most customers are finding the information contained within it are complete garbage.

You don't happen to work for the Co-op by any chance?
  • fat-pudding
    fat-pudding Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikkadol wrote: »
    It's clearly well over 8 weeks since this co-op disaster occurred, therefore presumably the energy ombudsman has been notified and is taking some action(?). Can anyone confirm that the ombudsman is taking action? How can I find out?

The trouble is that when I first applied in January, I heard something in February giving a date in March that then turned to April. All of which wasn't so bad and didn't suggest major problem at that point in time. It was only during April when I started to try and get hold of them due to the delays to clarify and it was then 23rd of April when they finally replied.

That means it's only 6 weeks since my complaint which quite frankly they are dealing with very poorly. They have lied, promised things and then changed their mind etc. etc. but it's still 2 weeks until I can complain to the ombudsman. I'm thinking of phoning the regulator on Monday telling them that they need to suspend Co-op from taking any new customers.
  • mikkadol
    mikkadol Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks fat-pudding-

Yes like you I was aware of Co-op Energy IT problems sometime ago but didn’t do anything assuming it would be fixed quickly. Since my post dated 5th May I have contacted the ombudsman’s organisation and was given helpful and sympathetic advice on what to do. However it seems they only deal with individual complaints and only after the eight weeks has expired from the date of your first complaint to the energy company. So I started my own eight week countdown ticking with a formal complaint emailed to the Co-op Energy yesterday.

The ombudsman’s operative would not comment if other complaints had been made or if there they had generic evidence of problems at Co-op Energy which was a bit frustrating.

I like your idea of instructing Co-op Energy not to take on any new customers until this IT problem is sorted. This is the sort of action needed to create space to fix the problem.

Good luck with your dealings with the ombudsman in 2 weeks time. Let us know how ombudsman proposes to deal with what must be the crux of your complaint: That the Coop Energy’s IT system is not functioning correctly. (!)
  • Jackie_E
    Options
    Well the Co op are terrible.. I have tried to change my account over since February and when I spoke to a gent he said that this had been done. Well it hasn't, and not only problems in getting the new account system to work and logging on issues, eventually I got this problem sorted. But my bills are all wrong, now I cannot get hold of anyone.

Constant phone calls and emails and no replies.

When you do get hold of someone they put you through to their so call overflow line, who transfer you back to the same person you spoke to in the first instance. Frustration!!!
  • nuunaa
    nuunaa Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJFGB wrote: »
    Sorry Nuunaa, but firstly even that number has long queues and secondly, it is not a login on problem. I am advised that there has been a problem migrating my account from the old to the new system resulting in the account being unavailable. I have also been advised that "thousands of customers are affected".

Let's also not forget that as illustrated on this thread and elsewhere, even if you can access your account, most customers are finding the information contained within it are complete garbage.

You don't happen to work for the Co-op by any chance?

Hi, No i dont work for Co-op! - I got that number after waiting 20 minutes only to get through to a call fielder - they gave me that number which i got straight through onto. They helped me get logged on to my online account after 6 months without being able too!! However all the readings/bills are all at 0 , i am £208 in credit as they have taken 3 DD's in the six months. OVO have at long last closed my account but their final meter readings do not match the ones i gave to them and co-op!! Im still waiting to see what Co-op have as the opening meter readings!! Its a right ole mess!
  • markpack
    markpack Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    mikkadol wrote: »

Well, I've escalated my complaint to the Ombudsman so I hope so...! My guess would be that the more complaints the Ombudsman receives, the more likely they are to take more serious action as that's my experience in other sectors. If it's just one complaint, the focus often is just on an apology and compensation and it's only if there are lots of complaints that more systemic issues are considered. So do join me in complaining...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure