BT Broadband, Phone and TV cashback deal

Options

Comments

• matelotmax
    Options
    Hi Everyone ;-)
    I have been trying to sort out my BT broadband recently.
    I am currently on BT Infinity with a limit of 100Gb, which I never breach.
    I thought, as a light user, [google searches, weather BBC News etc] my data usage was minimal.
    I do not "Stream music or download dvds/films.
    So I was shocked to the core to discover on MyBT that my data usage was excessive [more than 1GB per day on average].
    So I did some checking.
    The data usage meter on the BT website has consistently show multi-GB usage over the past few days.
    I have employed two other data monitors: BTs own "thinkbroadband" & independent "Glasswire".
    Yesterday BT website showed 7.5GB data usage whereas both BT "tb" & Glasswire showed only 120MB [e.g "Official/Billed data usage was 61 x MORE than actual usage].
    This morning BT website showed 12.25GB usage, with the BT 2tb" & Glasswire both showing again only 120MB.
    It is not a case of I am in danger of exceeding my allowance, but rather how can I trust such a blatant lying provider.
    I have subsequently cancelled BT and moved to Virgin.
    But I would [seriously] be interested in knowing if anyone else has encountered the same scam?
    I suspect that it is a generic/organisational scam, aimed at lower limit individuals, as a "hedge" toward them buying a more expensive package.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    matelotmax wrote: »
    The data usage meter on the BT website has consistently show multi-GB usage over the past few days.
    I have employed two other data monitors: BTs own "thinkbroadband" & independent "Glasswire".

BT will show your total download amount (Sky STB, phones & tablets on WiFi etc), the other 2 as far as I can see will only report your computers amount.
  • DilbertJones
    Options
    Is there any way to see the past offers available from BT?

I signed up on the 15th Feb to Bt Infinity 1, the offer I am fairly sure contained the BT Sport App (not sure if was available via sky) plus £95 cashback.

I have seen no mention of BT Sport & my service goes live tomorrow (1st March) so I contacted them today & was told that BT sport isnt included in my package...

I got put through to someone who is calling me back on Friday 2nd and he has said he will sort this out for me at no additional cost but I wanted to see if I can prove my point should this turn out no to happen.
  • bispet182
    bispet182 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2018 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I move my broadband account around every year and I have used BT more than once now. I am currently using John Lewis (which via Plusnet is technically BT) and after a shaky start they seem to be OK.
    The reason I am adding to this thread is my constant annoyance with BT's tricky manoeuvres to extort more money from their customers. I will look at BT when my contract expires but in the case of the latest offers, which are being copied by many providers, the trick is to have an 18 month contract. If you go for the maximum saving you will pay the line rental up front for one year. Then, you have either to pay the full amount per month or another annual line rental (which is non refundable) leaving you with six months paid when the contract ends. This increases the cost of the contract considerably. If BT were at all concerned for their customers they would make the line rental paid up front for an 18 month period. Typically nefarious behaviour from BT the offer, as always, is not anywhere near as good as it appears.
  • Fustis
    Fustis Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2018 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Hi

I got the January MSE email, and as a BT customer, I asked if they would match Plusnet (BT owned).
    They said "No", but had done so before, so it was worth asking.
    I said "bye then", and was offered a deal on fibre, and agreed there and then to the offer.
    Outside work to be done 19th Jan, inside work on 30th Jan, and I picked 8am - 1am option.
    Router kit to arrive prior to 30th.
    That was 5th Jan 2018.
    They sent a bill on 13 Jan. They phoned me on Sunday 14 Jan to say the deal was off!
    I had a chat and the woman from BT said she would have another look, and Yay! the deal was back on.
    I asked if the price was the same as 5 Jan, she said yes.

One day later - 15 Jan - another phone call Deal off again! Reason given capacity!
    I specifically asked on the 5th about capacity because my neighbour had 'capacity' problems 2017.
    No problem they replied.
    We (myself and BT) are now engaged in legal negotiations prior to court action.
    In one of those conversations with the elc team (supposedly the bees knees problem solvers) it was disclosed by the BT member that Open Reach had said that the end of March 2018 was the earliest possible date that the fibre deal could be done.
    Meanwhile BT sent me bills for fibre for Jan-Feb and Feb-March, even though they couldn't provide that service.
    Also I left for another provider, but BT still keep harassing me for payment for Feb 13 to March 13 even though I left BT on 6th Feb!
    Beware BT is all I can say, even though I was with them for 17 years. Never again!
    Legal action etc still ongoing, will update upon resolution.
  • jennyf76
    jennyf76 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I signed up for the BT Infinity offer expiring on the 1st March. £120 reward card and £50 cheque, I've just claimed for the reward card but the cheque cash back claim link isn't working. Anyone have the link please ?
  • diane***
    diane*** Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was invited by BT to go to the ombudsman, customer service was cocky and told me I was stuck in an ever increasing price rising contract because I didn't reply in time to emails, emails I did not receive, the deadlock letter they sent me assured me I was unlikely to succeed because they were right.
    the ombudsman was able to help me, they saved me a £300 charge which was charged to end the ever increasing price contract and £12 a month until November 18 on charges, so another £108.
    BT customer service do not seem helpful , they just tell you anything to make you believe you're stuck with your problem.
    i'd say it was poor training of those folk........... so if you are having problems ..... don't give up nor take notice of BT customer service..... their job is to make you go away, not help.
  • diane***
    diane*** Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got a deadlock letter from BT, they told me I could go to the ombudsman but they would win because I hadn't replied to emails informing me the price was going up in the 30 day limit they set.... I didn't get the emails. They said I had and tough.
    I argued.... when is absence of consent, consent.
    to get out of my 2 year contract was £300, to remain until the end an additional £108.

with little hope I did go to the ombudsman, they said they could help in this situation.
    I got out of my contract at no cost and the original price of £61 was reinstated instead of £73.
    I get sports broadband TV phone.

customer service seems to be all about getting you to tolerate nonsense, I have now opted for post communications. I want to save the planet but I don't think a policy of consent in absence is correct.
  • BARRY2
    BARRY2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I got a deal from bt where they were prepared to connect for nothing! Their £129.00 connection fee is nothing less than robbery!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure