PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solid wall a reason not to buy?

Options
I am jumping the gun a bit here as our survey is not until next week, and I might get some answers then, but it's going round and round in my head!

We're FTBers buying a mid terrace which the vendor says he *thinks* is about 100 years old. From what I can tell it seems to be in generally good condition (I just need to insulate the wooden floor and replace the wooden front and back doors). I've just asked our vendors whether they have cavity wall insulation, they said they weren't able to get it due to the type of construction apart from in the extension which was put in in 1999.

They didn't seem to know much about it but I am presuming this means the house is solid wall. This means it's going to be much more difficult to insulate doesn't it?

Estimates on the energy saving trust website say external wall insulation could cost £5,000 to £18,000 for a saving of £175 a year on bills. Is it even worth it looking at the saving vs the cost of installation?

Should this be a reason to reconsider buying it? Energy efficiency is important to me because I can't stand wasting money! I'd hate to give up on this house now but, at the same time, I don't want to make the wrong decision in buying it if it's excessively difficult to heat/insulate. It felt warm when we were in there, but it would do as they are trying to sell it! I don't feel there's any scope to renegotiate the price due to this. I'm sure someone else would pay and not care about it.

Comments

• princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of people live quite happily in single skin houses. Cavity wall insulation is not the best thing since sliced bread for insulation in absolutely all situations.

It's all rather situation dependent.

Being a mid terrace, it is effectively insulated on each side anyway; a neighbouring house is basically a big, and probably heated, cavity. The extension also sounds properly insulated. If the roof insulation is also decent and the windows good then you probably don't have the biggest amount of exposed single skin.

But it is what it is, it's not going to be a modern insulated box the upgrade costs to insulate further probably won't be worth it, but then the extra cost of heating is probably not as much as you fear anyway.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    what is the EPC rating .How big is the house .How old is the boiler
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All houses 100 years old will be of solid wall construction, but solid walls themselves vary in type and thickness.

It is possible to insulate on the exterior of the house, which on a mid terrace will be cheaper than for a detached or semi, but this may make the house stand out from its neighbours somewhat, depending on the existing finish. There's also the question of cost v payback time and the chance, as its a first buy, that you may not be there long enough.

Mid terraces generally are easier to heat than the more expensive alternatives and there's no reason to feel cold. My daughter recently bought a similar sort of property and it's been very warm and comfy this winter.

I agree there is no scope to re-negotiate on this 'discovery,' which most purchasers either wouldn't be bothered about, or would suspect before they viewed.
  • Rollinghills
    Options
    I agree with the above, mid terrace is insulated on both sides anyway. 175 maybe an estimated saving that does not necessarily apply to your house. It would not put me off if I liked the house but the thing is, everyone is different. If you think you'll be unhappy every time you think about heating costs and every time you get the bill then maybe it's not right for you, we all have our idiosyncrasies and only you can tell by how much it would bother you.
  • Old_Git
    edited 21 March 2015 at 5:10PM
    Options
    the last mid terrace I owned cost £70 per week to heat .
    It had high ceiling three floors and a 20 year old boiler .

Ask to see recent bills for heating .
  • Rollinghills
    Options
    Old_Git wrote: »
    the last mid terrace I owned cost £70 per week to heat .
    It had high ceiling three floors and a 20 year old boiler .

That sounds like a lot! Maybe you should have got a new boiler!
  • Old_Git
    Options
    That sounds like a lot! Maybe you should have got a new boiler!

I sold the house and got £83000 profit ;)
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I should say it is mid terrace, but has an entry/ginnel (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods!) on one side.

There are only three houses in this terrace and we're in the middle.

It's a 2 bedroom house, with a small loft conversion (very small and not a bedroom). The boiler is a combi boiler, the vendor says it is about 5 years old.
  • Old_Git
    Options
    I should say it is mid terrace, but has an entry/ginnel (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods!) on one side.

There are only three houses in this terrace and we're in the middle.

It's a 2 bedroom house, with a small loft conversion (very small and not a bedroom). The boiler is a combi boiler, the vendor says it is about 5 years old.

ask to see a recent gas bill .Then you will know what you are dealing with.
    what is the EPC rating
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 March 2015 at 5:20PM
    Options
    3 storey mid terrace, similar age, I do some working from home and I like to be warm - thermostat generally between 17 and 20 depending on what I'm doing. Current duel fuel bill is £61 pm. And that's with single glazing on the front of the house - with double or secondary glazing (and more use of jumpers) it could easily be lower. I don't think that's too bad, considering I'm not knocking myself out to save energy. The people I bought off had much higher bills, so they obviously liked it warmer and had things like a tumble dryer, which I don't. It's down to lifestyle as well.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport