PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solid wall a reason not to buy?

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I should say it is mid terrace, but has an entry/ginnel (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods!) on one side.

There are only three houses in this terrace and we're in the middle.

Does one of the neighbours have a right of way across your back garden? That would put me off much more than solid walls.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2015 at 7:34PM
    Options
    The EPC is currently 59 (D) potential 84 (B).

Does not having a wall mounted thermostat affect energy efficiency? This house only has individual thermostats on each radiator. Would it be worth getting a wall mounted thermostat fitted?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cavity walls were only introduced in the 1920s and didn't become universal until the late 1940/50s
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The EPG is currently 59 (D) potential 84 (B).

Does not having a wall mounted thermostat affect energy efficiency? This house only has individual thermostats on each radiator. Would it be worth getting a wall mounted thermostat fitted?

D59 is not bad .I just checked the EPC for the house I sold it was F32 . The average in the UK is D57 .
    My present house is D60 and the house is 23 years old .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Zoology_Dragon
    Options
    Pretty standard for a period property!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I should say it is mid terrace, but has an entry/ginnel (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods!) on one side.

There are only three houses in this terrace and we're in the middle.

It's a 2 bedroom house, with a small loft conversion (very small and not a bedroom). The boiler is a combi boiler, the vendor says it is about 5 years old.
    No idea what you mean by entry/ginnel. Party wall at 1st floor level only?

Even so, you're effectively insulated on two sides.

I'd be asking questions about the loft conversion though - was this done properly? Is it safe? Properly insulated? Is there a Building Regs Certificate?
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    No idea what you mean by entry/ginnel. Party wall at 1st floor level only?

Yes, that's what I mean! A passageway between the two properties into the back yards. Most houses round here use the back door for the main entrance.
  • Mocha61
    Mocha61 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    If the walls are solid i dont think you can insulate, we wanted to do ours but couldnt. If the house is cavity brick then you can, the insulation goes between two brick walls that are held together by metal ties.
  • doodle-bug_2
    Options
    We live in an end terrace, which now has an extension on the end. Ours was built in 1930s, solid nine inch wall (two bricks thick). We didn't have a problem with heating, but recently decided to 'upgrade' ours when we were re-decorating.

We insulated the outside walls of the house only - with wooden battens, kingspan insulation, then plasterboard. I must say that it has definitely made a difference, even though we had no problems before - it is now very warm indeed.

We only lost a couple of inches of the room size, plus easier than external insulation.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The EPC is currently 59 (D) potential 84 (B).

Possibly. It would depend somewhat on how well the TRVs are performing. If you don't arrive home at exactly the same time of day as well, you can get room thermostats which you can control via your phone. And if your boiler doesn't already have it, it may have frost protection too.

But I'd say well performing TRVs are more important than a basic room thermostat, as it's more important to get the desired temperature in each room. You can even get electronic TRVs as well.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family