Cancellation of a Blue Badge

Options
I have a question for a friend.

She used to claim DLA and was always awarded High Mobility and Middle Care. She had the result of her PIP assessment about 6 weeks ago which gave nothing for mobility and standard care.

She is happy with the care rate so has accepted the decision.

She has always had a blue badge (by virtue of the DLA award). She contacted the county council and they told her that she must return the current badge for cancellation as she is no longer entitled to it under the automatic rules. Consequently she returned it last week.

Does she have to re-apply under the discretionary rules now to get it back?

I did check for her with the council myself and they were adamant that if you lose the pass porting benefit, the badge has to be returned as it was obtained by virtue of that pass porting benefit.

Comments

• Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    If she has no mobility component of PIP then I fail to see why she would get the blue badge returned but this begs another question.... If she has been awarded zero mobility component and she accepted this, why is she wanting the blue badge returned?

I'm not having a pop btw, just a little confused. When I first applied for my blue badge back at the beginning of 2012 I hadn't at that point been awarded DLA and was required to attend an assessment with my city council. I 'passed' the test and got my badge prior to being awarded DLA (which I also got). I had to renew my blue badge December 2014 and just the DLA entitlement alone was enough this time.

I have no idea whether local councils have tests outside of DLA / PIP entitlement nowadays sadly so I really don't know. :(
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Does she have to re-apply under the discretionary rules now to get it back

- yes
    - old rule DLAHRM qualified her
    - new rule 'with further assessment' needs to be 'tested' !
    - best of luck
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    benniebert wrote: »
    I have a question for a friend.

She used to claim DLA and was always awarded High Mobility and Middle Care. She had the result of her PIP assessment about 6 weeks ago which gave nothing for mobility and standard care.

She can in principle appeal the decision of course - though this would risk losing the care award, if it is in doubt.
    If not - then there would seem to be little reason not to appeal - unless the money is not an issue.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter got this in reverse. Automatic blue badge for being severely sight impaired (one of us drives her)

No PIP as apparently she is not disabled...

Weird
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    N9eav wrote: »
    My daughter got this in reverse. Automatic blue badge for being severely sight impaired (one of us drives her)

No PIP as apparently she is not disabled...

Weird

See this makes little sense to me. (not a dig BTW)
    she would always be accompanied in the Blue Badge situation.........so why would she need a Blue Badge as its not a mobility issues?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    blind.soght impaired people get an automatic blue badge.
    they may have no trouble walking, and are always accompanied when in a car.
    but crossing busy roads/car parks can be very hazardous even when accompanied.
    many visually impaired people like to walk independently if possible and a blue badge aids with this.

i am blind, and unless it is strictly necessary, never use a disabled bay.
  • custardy
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    blind.soght impaired people get an automatic blue badge.
    they may have no trouble walking, and are always accompanied when in a car.
    but crossing busy roads/car parks can be very hazardous even when accompanied.
    many visually impaired people like to walk independently if possible and a blue badge aids with this.

i am blind, and unless it is strictly necessary, never use a disabled bay.

all valid,however i'm sure there are many conditions that cause similar issues without a Blue Badge.
    Just seems weird the Blue Badge is issued in a situation where by its very nature the badge holder must be accompanied.
    To be clear I could care less either way. I have no issue with any deserving group/individual getting them. Just seems a strange choice for auto issue
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    See this makes little sense to me. (not a dig BTW)
    she would always be accompanied in the Blue Badge situation.........so why would she need a Blue Badge as its not a mobility issues?

I think that in most cases it's not the distance, but the terrain. But then again, I see a lot of Blue badge holders that seemingly have few issues when you interpret what you see by looking at their actions. People look at my daughter who is 25, beautiful and seemingly normal, but she can't see hardly anything.
    We too use it sparingly and I almost never park on yellow lines. TBH they have issued so many of the badges now that finding a disabled parking space is pretty much impossible.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • custardy
    Options
    N9eav wrote: »
    I think that in most cases it's not the distance, but the terrain. But then again, I see a lot of Blue badge holders that seemingly have few issues when you interpret what you see by looking at their actions. People look at my daughter who is 25, beautiful and seemingly normal, but she can't see hardly anything.
    We too use it sparingly and I almost never park on yellow lines. TBH they have issued so many of the badges now that finding a disabled parking space is pretty much impossible.

Funny you say that. I was in the Quartermile underground car park yesterday. It has disabled spaces. To my knowledge it has no lifts (outwith private business ones) and horrible stair access.
    People get lost in it all the time with no pedestrian paths/clear signs.
    On street level there are double yellow bays,parking bays and some single yellows. Far more practical.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    She can in principle appeal the decision of course - though this would risk losing the care award, if it is in doubt.
    If not - then there would seem to be little reason not to appeal - unless the money is not an issue.

As you say she could lose the care side by appealing. However I have just realised that it is nearly 7 weeks ago when she received the decision notice. Am I right in saying that she should have appealed within 30 days? If so, then the discussion is finished - she can't have it changed even if she wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport