Anyone got a hybrid heat pump system?

Options
A la this? http://www.thenaturalenergycompany.co.uk/Hybrid-heat-pump.html

Did you pay for it through RHI, in which case how did you go about getting the money, and how much did it cost?

And lastly is it any good?

We'd be looking at it for a 4-bed, 3 reception house.

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have mains gas, then probably not worth considering. If LPG, then may be worth a look, but running 2 different systems at the same time could cause problems.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 March 2015 at 10:02AM
    Options
    I'd guess that its more expensive than a stand-alone heat pump or boiler and twice as complex so there's a greater chance of faults. Servicing is also likely to be more costly as you've got both a gas boiler & heatpump to be looked after.

I'd suggest that you cost it out properly, heat pump, gas boiler & combination unit to check the differences.

I've got a heat pump because we don't have mains gas but given the choice I would have installed a combination gas boiler. Our heating system was also designed around the heatpump rather than just stuffing one onto an existing hot water system (we installed an overlay underfloor system).

We also improved our insulation and draught proofing although, even with a heatpump, our EPC has only gone from a low F to a high D.

Our heatpump is relatively cheap to run (our total electricity consumption is about 8000kwh/year) and we get £670 a year in RHI payments. After having our system for nearly five years I am convinced about heat-pumps and I'd probably choose it over gas if we were doing it a gain but only as part of a proper total system design.

Get a proper assessment from several suppliers and do your own investigations to understand how these systems work before jumping in.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Does not look good....

Just stick to a conventional heat pump, ideally Vaillant . I can not see any benefits in what you are looking at.

A heat pump which has been installed correctly will not need a back up boiler,and this will raise complications with your rhi payments in that you would have to send meter readings every quarter rather than just getting what ever is on your EPC .

Stay away .

If you are around the Midlands maybe worth going to the nec in a couple of weeks where I am sure there will be plenty of different companies offering advice on renewable heating at the home builders and renovation show
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Stevenmccaw
    Options
    I replaced a 6 month old Worcester boiler with a Daikin hybrid. I saw a drop in heating bills of 50/. I have just installed solar panels to complement the system, as electricity became virtually my only bill. Yes, I have to submit meter readings, but I still get 80/ of the rhi of a normal heat pump. I get instant hot water, and the hybrid was cheaper and more compact with no water tank. After fuel savings, rhi and fit my bills are now -36. Negative bills :) I was paying 90 electric and 108 gas before the install. £234 a month savings.

I can't recommend highly enough.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I replaced a 6 month old Worcester boiler with a Daikin hybrid. I saw a drop in heating bills of 50/. I have just installed solar panels to complement the system, as electricity became virtually my only bill. Yes, I have to submit meter readings, but I still get 80/ of the rhi of a normal heat pump. I get instant hot water, and the hybrid was cheaper and more compact with no water tank. After fuel savings, rhi and fit my bills are now -36. Negative bills :) I was paying 90 electric and 108 gas before the install. £234 a month savings.

I can't recommend highly enough.
    Hi & welcome to the forum ...

Looks interesting - how long has it been installed and did you just rip out the old boiler and install the HP with no other changes ?? - also, do you run the system the same way as the GCH boiler, or do you now use a different heating pattern ? ...
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Oakgreen
    Oakgreen Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I have this setup and it works well, (all be it running as ASHP most of the time) but its good to know there is a conventional boiler there to help out when needed. also meant I could undersize the heat pump saving money and keep some original radiators again saving money compared to a direct replacement of boiler for heat pump. so the capital costs were lower, I also didn't have to remove and make good a functioning modern boiler - all the controls are much more accurate when the boiler does run (although the original controls fitted to the boiler were not brilliant). I posted some numbers on this in another thread for my consumption etc but cannot add a link on here.

The RHI quarterly reading is very simple, they email you and you put some numbers into the My RHI portal, like reading your consumption meters but better! Also qualified for the extra RHI metering payment - in summary the RHI payments over 7 years will just about cover the cost of the equipment and installation and the running cost savings / general comfort levels will continue hopefully.
  • Silent_Dancer
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't understand why you would go to this level of complexity. Two heating appliances more to go wrong.
  • Oakgreen
    Options
    Agree on the fact that there is more to go wrong, in theory they should end up doing a similar amount of work compared with running just one appliance. I wanted to install a heat pump but didn't see the point removing a perfectly good boiler so chose to keep it in reserve. all i can say is that financially and in terms of comfort the combination is doing exactly as intended. As the boiler was about 6 years old I would argue that by taking a large portion of the annual load away from it the time until the next major component failure has been extended. The heat pump comes with a decent warranty and has not had a single issue to date - but appreciate what you are saying, at some point both will need repairing which is inevitable. In my house at least neither need to run for long periods and there is no starting and stopping of the heat pump when it does run so I don't anticipate a costly failure for a long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure