Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

edited 3 March 2020 at 7:18PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
4.3K replies 359.1K views

Replies

• Watty1Watty1 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nice to see you here. I'm gradually catching up with those  I once knew then will find new diaries too  
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We decided against bees too after I went on a one hour beekeeping course  and spent the whole time willing myself not to run away flapping my arms and screaming 😂😂 I didn't, of course 😁 We have the space, but learned that it would be far too cold and windy up here in the winter, and nobody else would put a hive here as it would be too much hassle, so not something fir us either, certainly not for the next few years.

Excellent tidying there!
    Taking a break from the internet for May
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Well, it's tough now. Trust that you made the best decision with the information you had at the time, and deal with the situation as it is, rather than how it was, or how you wish it would be.

*wags fingers in bossy but kind fashion* 😁
    Taking a break from the internet for May
  • greentgreent Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I feel the pain on a double whammy - switched last month so had old pymt come out and new supplier took 1st mth (£180 ish) up front too - ouch!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2022: £404.64
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Re electric supplier - We were moved last year (Dec old one went bust, Feb it was finally moved to Scottish Power) - when I did the comparisons I elected to stay with them on a new tariff. Ours is electric only. A smallish 3 bedroom cottage, almost £190 a month even with economy 7. On the other hand, we use very little oil for heating as our (electric) range (on from October to May) heats most of the house so we just turn it on once a month to stop the CH pump seizing (and it does hot water).
    Save £12k in 2022 - #14 £9,500 £11,036.47 (116.17%) at end of October OS Grocery Challenge 2022 spent £2,696.48/£3,000 annual (not incl £500 contingency) - try to keep it really low for December so we don't break into the contingency 89.88% so still significantly over spent for this stage of this year. My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman