We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OK advice on Turbo now fitted :-)

13

Comments

  • OddballJamie
    OddballJamie Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Also £35 excess and doesn't cover existing problems or wear and tear.

    Sounds like a waste of money if you've already got breakdown cover.
  • Darnun72
    Darnun72 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hmmm Is a turbo going classed as wear and tear?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Darnun72 wrote: »
    Hmmm Is a turbo going classed as wear and tear?
    Depends. Your original failure would've been, yes.
  • Darnun72
    Darnun72 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Sod that then...Thought it was a nice way of ensuring I was covered if it happened again.
    Basically I am in a suck it and see scenario then :-(
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,218 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Does the car have FSH?
    Do you know what oil was used during services?
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Darnun72
    Darnun72 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Yes it has FSH but I couldn't tell you what oil. I know after the first turbo blew the garage bought the best oil for my engine and filled it with that.
  • Darnun72 wrote: »
    Yes it has FSH but I couldn't tell you what oil. I know after the first turbo blew the garage bought the best oil for my engine and filled it with that.

    have you got invoices to back your full service history up with because that would tell you the grade of oil & brand to see if the correct oil was used which would be very important to know.

    you say the currant garage used the best oil, again find out the brand & grade. as you have supplied the turbo most parts like this will not cover pasts with warranty so you may be in for expensive labour bills from the garage.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    have you got invoices to back your full service history up with because that would tell you the grade of oil & brand
    Possible, but unlikely that the invoices will give that information.
  • Darnun72
    Darnun72 Posts: 24 Forumite
    OK So I am driving home tonight and I don't know whether it's me being utterly paranoid now but in 5th gear doing say 60mph, the car feels juddery. That's the only way I can explain...Not smooth like it used to be.

    When I got home, I could smell a burning smell coming from the engine. Now this has been the case since the first turbo exploded and the garage are saying it's most likely the excess oil in the pipes burning off but still now, after he has cleaned everything for a second time????
    I lift the bonnet and it seems to be strongest when i put my nose over the air intake pipe. Leave the engine running and after about 10 - 15 seconds the smell goes.
    Now I have no idea what the hell is happening
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,218 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you have a very bright torch of some kind take the car a run, park it up with the engine running and shine the torch into the engine bay.
    Do this when it's dark.

    If there's any oil burning or similar you should be able to see the vapor easier this way and should be able to see where it's coming from.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.