'The £1 Million cash card' - Anyone played it lately?

Options

Comments

• Julio
    Julio Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2011 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Hi All,

Well its a new card and its time to crack the code. The latest game "the £1 million cash card" runs till 30/06/11 and has two types of "win".

My "winning ticket" (they are ALL winning tickets) had :

3 x loaf (three loaves)

and

2 x tyre

I just need to know what the distribution of prizes is out there to work out the value of each (roughly)

PLEASE do NOT call the premium rate number - or text the £6.50 txt back number - at least not on my account !!

So, over to Money Saving Experts... Whadya get in your "lucky" cards??

Regards, Julio.
  • arya885
    Options
    Hi, I've got the same as you (3 x loafs and 2 x tyres). Does anyone know what it means? And there are also two little numbers on the cards. For the loafs the number is 993 and for the tyres it is 891. I hope someone can help :j
  • arya885
    Options
    I am going to ask what my award is by mail, as it is the cheaper option =/ I think it will only be 10£ and the week at the hotel in Algarve, as they have more than 5000 of each of these two prices. The hotel looks great, but they don't pat for transportation, which is not so great... I hope I am wrong with my expectations, though :p
  • likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    I've just found 3 loaves on one.

I found 3 pears or something last year and went the postal route to claim, as detailed somewhere in small print on the back of the cards.

It took a couple of postings ie. couple of envelopes and couple of stamps (palaver asking you to mail twice as I remember). Plus an email to 'remind' them as nothing was forthcoming after weeks and weeks.

Got a very polite email back from some lady at PC who said she'd issue my cheque for a tenner. I then recieved TWO cheques for a tenner in two separate postings, was honest about it and was told I could keep both 'if I wished' as it was their mistake!

So, in my experience not a scam but weird and I can't see how they make any money out of it?
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • mwalder
    Options
    I got the card in the sunday times, and got as far as figuring out that 3 loaves = 1 week at the algarve, which is pretty cool I suppose.
    I got 2 tyres as well though, and wasn't about to sit for another half hour (well, three minutes I suppose) to find out what that means. Does anyone know?
    As far as I remember, the million euro was 3 stones, 3 basket balls, and something else...
  • kiebee
    kiebee Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I really don't want to seem like I'm begging, but I posted this in the other thread a while ago and haven't heard from anyone. I'm really keen to have a go at this, but I can't find any of these cards recently (even the Sky mag had none!), and the he local newsagent doesn't have any either (got some right funny looks there!). Would someone mind sending me one? Obviously I'll pay for postage etc.
    Im a kiebee buzz,buzz!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Current card still has the accom only holiday as a "prize", presumably they were issued before the recent court judgement against the company. Card also does not make it clear that if you phone then the cost of the call (£9.18) and 2 stamps means you only get a few pence gain if you have "won" the £10 prize (which along with the "no real value" prize holiday make up almost all the prizes on offer.

Following the ruling in the first substantive case before the High Court under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs), the Court has indicated that it will make enforcement orders against Purely Creative Limited, Strike Lucky Games Limited, McIntyre & Dodd Marketing Limited, The Winners Club Limited, Dodd Marketing Limited and certain of their directors.

Ways in which the promotions were held by the court to be in breach of the CPRs included the following:
    • by creating the impression that the recipient has won a prize, when in substance the consumer is simply being offered the chance to purchase a low value item
    • by deceiving consumers as to the geographical origin of particular products, or by describing a holiday voucher as a prize, when it would cost the consumer a significant sum actually to go on the holiday
    • by downplaying the costs to consumers of calling a premium number to find out what they have won.
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2011/11-11
  • arya885
    Options
    @kiebee: They will send you one card if you ask it on their website: purelycreative.com/play/Play.htm Have fun! ;)

@likelyfran: They make money with people who call or text them to know what they've won. If you call or text, they charge you about £9... But if you read carefully the small characters, then you learn that you can also ask by mail :D

Since everyone has got the three loaves and the two tyres, it is not very hard to guess it's probably the vacation and the 10£. I hoped I could get the Tesco gift card (because I got loaves), but it seems I was wrong TT_TT
  • kiebee
    kiebee Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    arya885 wrote: »
    @kiebee: They will send you one card if you ask it on their website: purelycreative.com/play/Play.htm Have fun! ;)
    Tried that ages ago, not heard a peep from them. :(
    Im a kiebee buzz,buzz!
  • karenstoner
    Options
    Oh dear. I am so annoyed with myself (and with this company). I got taken in by this scam, and I knew it must be a scam, I just couldn't see how it worked. My daughter got the scratchcard in her Kerrang magazine. So of course, she had to see if she'd won the xbox. I told her she definitely couldn't claim by phoning up, as I'd seen the premium rate charges. But then she told me you could text, and that was charged at the normal rate (20p). So I thought there could be any harm in doing that...
    Well. The text we sent to them only cost 20p, but then they sent back six texts in rapid succession, and when each one arrived, about 2 pounds was deducted from her phone!!! Also she'd previously used my phone to claim the other prize, not monitoring how much the credit was being depleted. We've lost about 18 pounds all together. Needless to say the so-called prizes came to nothing. One was a holiday in the algarve (but no transport!) The other was 10 pounds, but no way am I going to give this company any more of my contact details so that we can claim it.
    How do you block incoming calls that charge? I'm frightened to top up our phones now.
    I didn't even realise people could get charged for receiving texts! Well no one ever told me. It's just outright theft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure