Should I pay to sit with my 4 year old

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 26 April 2015 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Checked in 7 days prior to our holiday, and again on our departure day for the return flight. All 5 of us in one row.
    Same here. Never paid the "family tax", always been seated together anyway :cool:
    The weather was terrible on the way out with wind and driving rain. Boarding took an age as they were only allowing around 20-30 on the plane at a time, front door only.

The 2 folks in row 1 were like frozen snotters by the time we all got on.

£110 saved, and a wee chortle at the pair in the £15.99 seats.

Happy Days.
    Or the "speedy boarders" where that just means they get on the bus first, and those last on the bus are generally near the doors so get off it first, and onto the plane first :)
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Actually I right naffed off with MSE .....so its ok for families to be sat together but other passengers in groups can fork out this 'tax'?

If I go on holiday in a group booking then I expect, if possible, to be sat with that group - not be expected to pay for the privilege.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I right naffed off with MSE .....so its ok for families to be sat together but other passengers in groups can fork out this 'tax'?

If I go on holiday in a group booking then I expect, if possible, to be sat with that group - not be expected to pay for the privilege.

Any group that avoids checking in at the last minute is likely to be able to organise seats together for no charge 95% of the time.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Any group that avoids checking in at the last minute is likely to be able to organise seats together for no charge 95% of the time.

my point is why make families a special case.

its just like the general election - unless you have young children or an oap then none of the parties are interested (or so it seems!) in you
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    my point is why make families a special case.

Agree. And I guess my husband and I ≠ 'family'.

And yeah, I get that there is a distinction, but I'll pay to select seats if the airline requires and I want to be certain about it. I know I could take the risk and probably be OK, I choose not to take the risk (though I haven't paid to book seats in ages, I would if it was the only way to pre-select seats at the time of booking and yes, I know that they are not guaranteed). I don't see why others (other than those with status with the airline) should have the fee waived just for opting to procreate and to fly with their offspring.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 April 2015 at 1:07AM
    Options
    The fees aren't "waived" because I've kids, They're "waived" because I choose not to pay them.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The fees aren't "waived" because I've kids, They're "waived" because I choose not to pay them.
    But MSE are 'demanding' (yes, really :rotfl:) that the fees are 'waived' for people with kids:
    MoneySavingExpert.com is demanding that airlines scrap a 'family tax' that pushes worried parents to fork out an extra £15 each per flight just to guarantee they can sit next to their children.
    'Family tax'?
    It's a chargeable optional extra.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,115 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Safety concerns. If you need to evacuate a plane you want everyone moving towards the exit, not parents trying to move against the flow to retrieve children 10 rows back. (assuming plane is not in air). Same if the oxygen masks are needed - you want everyone to remain in seats, not trying to check on kids.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've booked return flights with Virgin. On the return leg the flight is operated by Delta on behalf of Virgin. On my return journey I have selected our seats for free. On the outward journey, on a Virgin plane, it's £25 each. While we do prefer to sit together as it's a long flight we are not prepared to pay £75 so will have to wait for online check in 24hrs prior to flight for seat selection.

If my DD was younger we would have paid for 2 seats together so she was with one of us as it would reduce pre holiday stress for £50 but as 3 adults we can find a better use for the money!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Safety concerns. If you need to evacuate a plane you want everyone moving towards the exit, not parents trying to move against the flow to retrieve children 10 rows back. (assuming plane is not in air). Same if the oxygen masks are needed - you want everyone to remain in seats, not trying to check on kids.
    Indeed. Interesting table at the bottom of the article showing the different airlines' attitudes to this - it seems Easyjet and Thomas Cook guarantee to sit children and parents together without a fee, and Thomson/First Choice practically guarantee it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure