Should I pay to sit with my 4 year old

Options

Comments

• holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MasterPoo wrote: »
    So right across the aisle from me I've been giggling to myself at the discussion, lady with daughter seat 20F Emirates Business Class the original owner has just boarded, luckily she was flexible, mother daughter duo thankful, original owner moved to window seat which is much better than the aisle!

Whilst writing this, I've been asked if I'm travelling with family and if I'd consider swapping I've said "not unless you're upgrading ME to first, no thanks" she smiled and said not to worry, DAMN would've been good to be upgraded to first lol.

She's now gone to single traveller who I overheard asking for window seat earlier, they've agreed a swapsee! Flight scheduled to leave at 22h15, it's now almost 23h30.....hopefully musical chairs is over now, but I'm very happy to have my boys where I booked for (all window seats in a 121 formation)

I drinking my bubbly now......

Enjoy the Bubbly. Have a great holiday.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    ALI1973 wrote: »

Anyway, my feelings are you shouldn't *have* to pay, as the airline know how old their passengers are, and should plan accordingly IMHO, BUT I always would if I want to ensure we are sat together, its a small price in the grand scheme of things.

Isn't this life in general ?

If I want a decent sized and clean hotel room I*may* get it in a one or two star hotel but the it becomes an almost certainty in a five star hotel . My choice what price I pay to ensure I get what I want or if I gamble.

I might prefer organic veg ... or free range eggs and feel all retailers *should* provide them ....but the reality is most retailers will charge me more for them

We live in a consumer society.
    If people genuinely felt strongly enough not to pay -and voted with their feet and didn't book with airlines who charged for "extras" they felt should be included then the airlines wouldn't continue to charge it but if it is a convenience that has value -then a significant percentage will pay and the disaffected have the choice of paying or taking a risk with seats and start their holiday on a sour note.

It isn't that long ago that a package holiday always meant just that. You paid one package price and things that are now priced as optional like seats together, meals, transfers and a 20 kg baggage allowance were automatically included. The market has changed.

Personally I don't book packages now and won't pay for avoidable extras. My OH was horrified when I wouldn't let him add on pre allocated seating on a LCC booking. However has now realized that if you check in as soon as open seating opens - you don't need to pay. He however gets twitchy until we have seat numbers whereas my attitude is more laid back -given the choice he'd pay for it - whereas my attitude is I don't believe airlines should be encouraged to add on extras so making the effort to check in spot on time is a better option.

I remember seeing a middle aged couple throw a tantrum at one airport because they hadn't booked seats together (it wasn't a flight you had to pay to do so) and were seated apart -To see a well dressed thirty something shouting and screaming "but we are married !" and stamping her foot like a toddler made for amusing preflight entertainment. They were actually seated directly across the aisle from each other so not really apart......and the funniest part of all -they didn't speak a word to each other the whole (transatlantic) flight anyway.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Isn't this life in general ?

If I want a decent sized and clean hotel room I*may* get it in a one or two star hotel but the it becomes an almost certainty in a five star hotel . My choice what price I pay to ensure I get what I want or if I gamble.

I might prefer organic veg ... or free range eggs and feel all retailers *should* provide them ....but the reality is most retailers will charge me more for them

We live in a consumer society.
    If people genuinely felt strongly enough not to pay -and voted with their feet and didn't book with airlines who charged for "extras" they felt should be included then the airlines wouldn't continue to charge it but if it is a convenience that has value -then a significant percentage will pay and the disaffected have the choice of paying or taking a risk with seats and start their holiday on a sour note.

It isn't that long ago that a package holiday always meant just that. You paid one package price and things that are now priced as optional like seats together, meals, transfers and a 20 kg baggage allowance were automatically included. The market has changed.

Personally I don't book packages now and won't pay for avoidable extras. My OH was horrified when I wouldn't let him add on pre allocated seating on a LCC booking. However has now realized that if you check in as soon as open seating opens - you don't need to pay. He however gets twitchy until we have seat numbers whereas my attitude is more laid back -given the choice he'd pay for it - whereas my attitude is I don't believe airlines should be encouraged to add on extras so making the effort to check in spot on time is a better option.

I remember seeing a middle aged couple throw a tantrum at one airport because they hadn't booked seats together (it wasn't a flight you had to pay to do so) and were seated apart -To see a well dressed thirty something shouting and screaming "but we are married !" and stamping her foot like a toddler made for amusing preflight entertainment. They were actually seated directly across the aisle from each other so not really apart......and the funniest part of all -they didn't speak a word to each other the whole (transatlantic) flight anyway.
    :rotfl:pathetic! Seriously though, holidays are supposed to be about fun and relaxation. If where you sit on a plane or whether your room will be a bit small causes people such stress and anxiety, it might be better if they just stayed at home. Are they really going to enjoy the holiday if they worry about such trivia?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I've just checked in for BA. All seats together. Baring an upgrsde we will not be moving for anyone[smile]
    You haven't read the T&Cs I take it :) (my smilies are working!)
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Not me - I am of the " it's a reasonable additional charge that the airlines apply for ALL passengers" camp.

As long as there is no compulsion to pay to PowerBook your seats, it's fair enough to me.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Nor me.

"MSE is demanding...".
    Really?
    Demanding of whom?

If they're demanding it of the CAA, they don't seem to be listening. :rotfl:
    The airlines aren't technically breaking any rules set out by the regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
    Its guidelines only state that airlines should "aim to sit parents close to children", or if this isn't possible, they should not be separated by more than one aisle and by no more than one seat row.
    But MoneySavingExpert.com believes the airlines are using sneaky tactics and not serving families well. This "family tax" is yet another extra cost for holidaymakers looking to get away.
    We asked the CAA whether it plans to tighten the guidelines to guarantee parents are seated next to their children for free. It says it has no plans to change the rules.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE should just 'demand' that the CAA is sorted out. They're rubbish on this and enforcing reg ec261/2004.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    MSE should just 'demand' that the CAA is sorted out. They're rubbish on this and enforcing reg ec261/2004.

MSE should keep their noses out. It's got sweet FA to do with them. 'Family tax'? Like it only affects people with kids lol.

I think it's terrible that some parents think that everyone should have to pay more, just so they can be seated with their kids. :mad:

The CAA and EU261 has already been sorted.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Checked in 7 days prior to our holiday, and again on our departure day for the return flight. All 5 of us in one row.

The weather was terrible on the way out with wind and driving rain. Boarding took an age as they were only allowing around 20-30 on the plane at a time, front door only.

The 2 folks in row 1 were like frozen snotters by the time we all got on.

£110 saved, and a wee chortle at the pair in the £15.99 seats.

Happy Days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport