IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Sold Car Privately - Buyer Unhappy - Wants to return - Help

edited 1 March 2015 at 12:34AM in Motoring
327 replies 87.5K views

Replies

• It was on the phone today. I don't have recordings (I thought this was illegal unless you told them) and she said is going to submit something in writing to me, i presume based on what her mechanic has said.

if they try talking to you again tell them to put it in writing so you can pass it on to your legal team. that will help you with evidence if needed
  • if they try talking to you again tell them to put it in writing so you can pass it on to your legal team. that will help you with evidence if needed

No, this is bad advice. No need to do or say anything else, wacko.
    The buyer is completely without a leg to stand on and the law is on the seller's side. Getting more involved is only going to escalate this. Just have no more conversations at all, be firm.
  • No, this is bad advice. No need to do or say anything else, wacko.
    The buyer is completely without a leg to stand on and the law is on the seller's side. Getting more involved is only going to escalate this. Just have no more conversations at all, be firm.

so if your following your advice just ignore them then if they follow through with what they are threatening & the op receives a small claims court action to defend the more evidence they have to back up & advice gathered the easier it would be to defend/chuck it out.

better to be prepared & know what your on about then starting to panic & cave in to fall into their hands.
  • I don't know why this is ongoing.

The OP needs to stop responding to any further communication.

That will be the last they will hear of the matter.
  • ppddppdd Forumite
    1 Post
    I don't know why this is ongoing.

The OP needs to stop responding to any further communication.

That will be the last they will hear of the matter.

Agreed, good tip. Even a car salesman would cut communication. This wasn't even a new car.
  • Dan-DanDan-Dan Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont worry about this fasttrack nonsense , it takes months , i have a claim about a £300 carpet that hasnt seen action since early October
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • edited 1 March 2015 at 12:53PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    49K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 March 2015 at 12:53PM
    You don't need any more advice. Firstly, did she ask you if the vehicles had any known faults? If not, and as long as you didn't volunteer any opinion on it's condition: ('it's in perfect condition') then she has not got a leg to stand on.
    You are not obliged as a private buyer to divulge anything, you are simply obliged to answer any questions truthfully if they are asked. You went beyond that and voluntarily divulged a fault with reverse gear. Furthermore, the vehicle was legally roadworthy when you sold it. I doubt she will bother to pursue this through the SCP, but if she does, you simply need to go and put your case and it will be dismissed. Don't lose any more sleep over it.
    All down to a inexperienced buyer paying £2.2K for a 12 year old vehicle and naively expecting it to be without issues or maintenance costs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would feel guilty about this given the short timescale of the fault.
    If they agreed to have MY trusted mechanic look at it, and fix it I would offer to pay 50% of the costs.
    But that's my personal, moral possition, not a legal one. Obviously you'd want some kind of written agreement that makes it all binding with no further costs due to you.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop going round the houses (especially from the useless volunteers at citizens advice type knitting bees). If you have genuinely sold a car privately and been honest with the buyer, they have had the opportunity to inspect and test the goods, been happy, agreed a price and paid you. It is now their vehicle (thousands of components fighting against each other and mild steel trying to return to dust since it was new).
    Politely state, if, they contact you again that it is their vehicle, you have already been generous with your time, you are not liable for any faults they have subsequently discovered (show me a factory fresh car and I'll fill an A4 with faults) and you will not be engaging in any further contact.
  • barbiedollbarbiedoll Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be a huge rise in the number of buyers who appear to know everything about their rights but nothing about their responsibilities. It's not just car buyers, have a look on the ebay board, buyers there seem to think that they can try after they buy, even if it's a second-hand t-shirt that cost a couple of quid.

If your buyer has such a hot-shot mechanic, I wonder why she didn't take him along when she bought the car? And what about her dad, who thinks he's a legal eagle? Why wasn't he there to help her?

When me and my husband bought a second-hand Ford, we took it for a test drive and we realised that the clutch wasn't that good. We haggled down the price to reflect this, and we were happy with that. If there had been any problem with reverse (or any other) gear, we would have googled the problem, asked on here or asked our mechanic, and then either haggled or walked away.

It's now her car, her repair bill. She should have called in the troops, with their expert opinion, before she handed over the cash.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides