Should I keep my bills

Options
ellywellywoo
ellywellywoo Posts: 107 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have so many utilitiy bills for gas electricity phone water etc. Do I need to keep them or can I just put the figures on a spread sheet in case I need to refer back to them and then just bin them?

I want to have a big clear out but afraid that i should be keeping hold of them!

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uh uh.

Digital copies are more prone to manipulation than any other form of "proof".

On any form I've been asked to provide proof for it has always been stipulated to provide the documents themselves and not any copies.

I keep all mine two years (more 'cos I'm lazy) just to make sure I can go back a full year any time from.... NOW!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with other posters, 2 to 3 years for utility bills. I also read all the meters (gas,elec,water) on the 1st of each month and keep a record of the readings. This is a much better guide to consumption than quarterly bills. You also get to spot trouble sooner IE water meter reading jump means check for leaks.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    definately keep originals especially if you do your own tax returns. I think the tax man can go back 6 years so if you've claimed part bills / phone etc (eg if you work from home) he may want to see proof. Mortgage paperwork keep until paid off.
    Perhaps put them in a cardboard box up in the loft (assuming you have a loft).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've got all my utility bills, bank statements, cheque book stubs, credit card statements, credit card slips, payslips, receipts, etc etc going back 30 years. The whole lot fit into one cupboard in the sideboard about 18" cube.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure