We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Take a peek at my hand?

1…789101113»

Comments

  • hazmatt97
    hazmatt97 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A very interesting read! You hold a lot of cash, I'm interested to understand why you don't put more of that into GILTS? Is the likelihood of UK gov going bankrupt surely less than your high street bank you're storing cash with going bankrupt? 

    Is all of your equities in ISA wrapper?
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Ray_Singh-Blue Posts: 525 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 April at 7:26AM

    Update #45 Q1 2026

    Far be it from me to claim any special insight. Even a stopped clock is right twice per day. But this worked out:

    • "history suggests there’s always another energy squeeze lurking somewhere. Stuff in the news makes me wonder if another supply shock could be around the corner. If that happens, the companies in VDE should see profits, and valuations, rise."

    As you probably know, there has been a bit of turbulence lately. The Oil and Gas fund SPOG has risen quite a lot. Bought for £30K 3 months ago, now worth £45K.

    The bet was simple: "that it outperforms VWRP enough, at some point over the next 5 years, to crystalise a portfolio advantage". Well, that's what happened. Somewhat quicker than expected, truth be told. It was worth 230 units of VWRP, and now it is worth 370 units. 

    So, I had to make a call. Has that bet been won *already*??

    I concluded yes, and last week sold it.

    Same with LITB, the lithium fund. Up 80% since January 2025. It has done its job. So, sold that too.

    ---

    At the same time, the trusty core holding VWRP is down a little, probably due to uncertainty in wider markets.

    Grappled a little with whether to buy back in. Markets might fall further still. Falling knives, etc.

    But concluded I don't want to be less than 50% invested in equities, for any length of time. The risk of missing out on upside is just too great.

    So I bought back into VWRP to restore target asset allocation of 60% stock, 40% cash and bonds.

    The full portfolio is now:

    • VWRP £334K (56%)
    • GOOG £20K (4%)
    • Cash £201K (33%)
    • VGOV £40K (7%)

    Total £595K

    ---

    Bonds though! What can you do with them? A lot of people suggest a balanced portfolio of stocks and bonds, and I like the idea in principle. Stocks provide growth at the expense of volatilty, bonds balance that with steady predictable value and income. Except, the bond fund VGOV hasn't really done that. It has dropped, dropped and dropped even further. It has had a really bad decade, and is showing a big red number, and quite frankly can get in the bin.

    However, I sense binning bonds would be completely wrong at this point. Maybe they offer value and the chance of gain. Unlike stocks (which can go to zero or to the moon), they ought to revert to some sort of mean.

    The obvious thing to do here may be to buy more bonds in hope of a recovery, and that’s roughly what I’m planning to do in Q2, when introducing some new funds for a new tax year. But keeping the 60:40 balance mentioned earlier. Easy numbers for sleeping.

    That's all I have to say on the matter. Keep on keeping on,

    Ray

  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Ray_Singh-Blue Posts: 525 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September at 3:20AM

    Update #46 Q2 2026

    A little early with this update, but I have some free time on a Saturday afternoon, and am in a pensive mood after a roller coaster few weeks, so here goes.

    The balance is currently £651K

    The bulk of that increase is due to funding the ISAs for the 2026/27 tax year. The rest is mainly due to the increase in world stock markets, and an increase in the value of Alphabet shares. (As markets have been volatile, I also indulged in a little bit of cheeky shuffling of funds back and forth between the tracker fund VWRP, and the money market fund CSH2.)

    Those Alphabet shares have more than doubled since I bought them in early 2025. Sold them, and on a whim bought some shares in my favourite affordable pub chain. Google is such a great company, and only time will tell if it was an incredibly stupid move to ditch it in favour of cheap pubs. But right now Alphabet still makes up 4% of VWRP, which means I still have about £11K invested in it through that index tracker.

    Vanguard's UK government bond fund VGOV dropped to an all time low of £15.30 last month. Topped that up, and am hopeful of gains beyond the yield which is currently 4.7%.

    In his short but excellent book 'If You Can' (free here), William Bernstein writes:

    How risky are stocks? You’ve no idea. During the Great Depression, stocks lost, on average, around 90 percent of their value; during the recent financial crisis, they lost almost 60 percent. Although you might think that you can tolerate this kind of loss, guess again. It’s one thing to think about temporarily losing 60 percent or even 90 percent of your savings, the actual experience, in the moment, is unimaginably upsetting.

    If you want high returns, you’re going to occasionally have to endure ferocious losses with equanimity, and if you want safety, you’re going to have to endure low returns.

    Well, at this stage in the journey, the thought of "ferocious losses" scares me more than the prospect of missing out on high returns, and so I am happy with slightly under 50% of the portfolio in equities (in fact, 25% is my mental "low tide mark"). If and when markets take a dip, I hope I'll revisit that and top up though.

    For the moment it's hard to see where the next bit of growth will come from, but hopefully for now I am reasonably well insulated against big losses in the event of a correction.

    Sat out the SpaceX IPO. Expect to own it through VWRP eventually.

    Good luck all & see you in 3 months.

    Ray.

  • moneysaver1978
    moneysaver1978 Posts: 695 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for another insightful update! I too sat out the SpaceX IPO - I was rather tempted and by the time I had decided (still not 100%), the window to make an order closed.

    Still feels like an exit strategy for the earlier investors although I do like the long-term prospects. I may still take a punt either directly or fund once the (gold) dust settles.

  • Update #47 Q3 2026

    Value of portfolio crept up to £657K this quarter.

    I'm now pretty much settled on 50% equities, 50% cash or bonds, and think this strategy will see me out.

    Interestingly the trailing dividend yield on VWRL is only 1.3% at the moment, lowest ever. And the yield on 30 year UK gilts is nearly 6%, highest since 1998.

    I'll buying more bonds while licking my lips, and will buy equities with hands over my eyes. That's just the way it has to be. No point second guessing the market, I have come to decide.

    Good luck as always,

    Ray

  • brucefan_2
    brucefan_2 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    A little late to the game in thanking you, Ray, for your commentary, which, as always, makes for good reading.

    £6000 in 2023
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.