Forum Home» Motoring

Private number plate advice - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Private number plate advice

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
37 replies 3.8K views

Replies

• Iceweasel wrote: »
    You can get a completely anonymous 'cherished dateless registration plate' for as little as £20 - then you need to pay DVLA £80 to get it changed on to your car.

Are you talking about ones from NI ?
  • bery_451bery_451 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    benje302 wrote: »
    Depends on what you are after.

If you want something like A2 BFG then use the DVLAs site

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/

Prices start from £250

You will be the ower of the plate and not the nominee.

You can then move it from car to car (subject to current fee)

You can not make your car look younger.

If you want a plate like ABC123 there are quite a few sites like newreg. You will only be the nominee and not the owner so to speak as that will be the person who first registered it.

Hope this helps.

Ok so the dvla website is the only website that does private registrations properly?

Other sites like newreg only lease the plate meaning buyer not owner of number plate?

What are the current fees associated with private number plates?
  • I've got no problem with private plates, I've got one myself. I've never seen any for sale for as low as £20 though. Would you care to point me in the right direction?
  • bery_451 wrote: »
    Ok so the dvla website is the only website that does private registrations properly?

Other sites like newreg only lease the plate meaning buyer not owner of number plate?

What are the current fees associated with private number plates?

They are not leased to you. It means the registered owner or the nominee can put it on their car.

I sold one of my plates ages ago (was on a retension certificate) and they failed to put it on the car within the year. I got the letter from the DVLA stating the certificate was about to run out)

If you buy a £250 plate from DVLA that includes all fees. All you need then are numberplates made up.

All answers can be found on their site
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It hasn't been mentioned, but the registration can be held on a retention certificate. This costs £25 each year, payable to DVLA until you choose to assign it to a vehicle.

I have VAN580Y now on a retention certificate, as an 'investment'. Plus several others.

Originally I considered it appropriate, almost part of the livery, on my van, when I sold commercial vehicles.

Its now worth whatever anyone may see it's value, a few pennies or a few thousand pounds. Just depends on the person that would like it. Same as all the other numbers out there.

VB
  • IceweaselIceweasel Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    benje302 wrote: »
    Are you talking about ones from NI ?

Yes - Norn Iron plates have no year indicator numbers and can be put on any age of car in the UK.

They currently have three letters (one of which is an I or a Z followed by 4 numbers.
    I've got no problem with private plates, I've got one myself. I've never seen any for sale for as low as £20 though. Would you care to point me in the right direction?

Loads on e-bay stating at £20.

Not many native ethnic Brits have a name that begins with a Z of course, but there are loads of plates in various combinations with an I in them.

Several small-time private sellers who have a half a dozen mopeds in the shed make a little hobby of it.

Here's one just as an example if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=121561364766&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=duncanjoes&_sop=15

Plates with several zeros or repeated digits cost more of course.

I have no connection with any of the NI sellers - other than as a satisfied customer.
  • Mates just bought a blacked out lowered old 330 coupe with black wheels, and wants DRU66Y; would suit the car perfectly.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    Yes - Norn Iron plates have no year indicator numbers and can be put on any age of car in the UK.

They currently have three letters (one of which is an I or a Z followed by 4 numbers.

Loads on e-bay stating at £20.

Not many native ethnic Brits have a name that begins with a Z of course, but there are loads of plates in various combinations with an I in them.

Several small-time private sellers who have a half a dozen mopeds in the shed make a little hobby of it.

Here's one just as an example if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=121561364766&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=duncanjoes&_sop=15

Plates with several zeros or repeated digits cost more of course.

I have no connection with any of the NI sellers - other than as a satisfied customer.

That's amazing! I never thought you would get them so cheap.

Here's mine. Audi S6, V10 engine and my initials.

image2_zps57b087b2.jpg
  • facadefacade Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worth noting that however you do it, you do not own the number. You simply pay through the nose to be allowed to use it.

If you actually paid the £500,000 I last saw PEN 15 offered for, and someone objected to seeing it as they thought that PEN 15 spelled a rude word, or you were changing the spacing to make it do so, then that number can be withdrawn, and I doubt if you will get the money back.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • IceweaselIceweasel Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    facade wrote: »
    Worth noting that however you do it, you do not own the number. You simply pay through the nose to be allowed to use it.

If you actually paid the £500,000 I last saw PEN 15 offered for, and someone objected to seeing it as they thought that PEN 15 spelled a rude word, or you were changing the spacing to make it do so, then that number can be withdrawn, and I doubt if you will get the money back.

Quite right - no-one owns any number- no matter how much they pay.

What you have is the right to display it legally.

I have no idea how many (if any) have ever been withdrawn for re-arranged spacing.

It's more likely that the matter is dealt with by a police warning and theoffender told to get new plates with the correct spacing.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support