🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Poor credit affecting spouse

Options
I have a really poor credit raing and my husbands is excellent. Its something he doesnt know about and that I am trying to put right without him knowing. He has known in the past that I have a poor credit history and for that reason we are not in any way connected, as in we have seperate bank accounts, mortgage etc. However, I am an additional credit card holder and I think this makes me associated with him on his credit file. Could this possibly affect his getting credit even though his score is excellent. Or prevent him from getting a re mortgage, car lease etc?

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    No, being an additional card holder does not make you associated on his credit report so panic over, it won't affect his ability to obtain credit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    As said that wouldn't create a financial association,

However if you want to double check for yourself then get copies of your credit reports from each of the 3 credit reference agencies - and check that he isn't showing as a financial associate.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • CarterG
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Do you know if I would be taken into account or looked into whatsover as he says I am on his credit file but just as someone associated to him. Thanks
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    CarterG wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Do you know if I would be taken into account or looked into whatsover as he says I am on his credit file but just as someone associated to him. Thanks

If you are on his file as a financial associate, you must have both applied for a joint product at some point down the line, that is what caused you to be linked. If you're on there, yes it would affect his rating and the lenders would also search your files too for any products he wanted.

I can confirm that having a partner or family member as an additional care holder does not mark them as a financial associate on your credit file, as I have done in the past with my ex and current partner and neither one appeared on my files.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • CarterG
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Really useful and much appreciated :j
  • CarterG
    Options
    If I take cashback on my credit card when I am in the supermarket, does that show on my bill? Or does the statement just show the whole amount I spent.
  • CarterG
    Options
    Also does anyone know the amount a credit card company is likely to charge for cashback after making say a supermarket or petrol purchase?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You won't be able to get cashback on your credit card from the supermarket.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi CarterG

As Candyapple has said, for a financial association to appear on a report a joint application will need to have been made at some point.

If you don't have any active joint accounts it is simple enough to be financially disassociated, you can get it removed from your Experian report by completing a questionnaire. You can find out more and there's a link to the questionaire here.

If you use a credit card to withdraw cash, then that is recorded on your report so lenders would be able to see this.

I hope you find this information useful!
    Kind Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • CarterG
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Also I thought too that you couldnt get cashback with a credit card but my credit card is with sainsburys and everytime I go in I'm asked if I want cashback?? If this is possible do you know if I would be charged & also if the cashback would appear on my statement. If you have any ideas would you let me know.
    Much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family