We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Warning on Halifax Clarity Cards
DawnCBUk
Posts: 28 Forumite
Hi All
I just got a letter from Halifax in the post wherein they stated that they will NOW be charging for withdrawals abroad.
Text of letter:
From two months after you recieve this letter there will be the following charges on SAVINGS ACCOUNTS:
A non-sterling transaction fee of 2.99% of the amount withdrawn, and;
A non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the amount withdrawn (minimum 1.50)
Alternatively if you withdraw money from a overseas cash machine using the cash machine providers exchange rate we will charge 1.5% (minimum £1.50) plus the overseas cash machine provider fees.
Would love to know others comments and MSE. Does this mean the Clairity card is NO longer the best choice for withdrawals abroad?
EDITED:
Hmm I do hold a debit, savings and account and a clarity card with Halifax. Let me check.
DOH.....
It appears this IS related to Halifax accounts and looking at the details it is related to their savings accounts. PHEW.
"BASHES HEAD with HAND" that will teach me to avoid reading the bloody first line and not jumping to the charges and interest rates!
Cheers
Dawn
I just got a letter from Halifax in the post wherein they stated that they will NOW be charging for withdrawals abroad.
Text of letter:
From two months after you recieve this letter there will be the following charges on SAVINGS ACCOUNTS:
A non-sterling transaction fee of 2.99% of the amount withdrawn, and;
A non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the amount withdrawn (minimum 1.50)
Alternatively if you withdraw money from a overseas cash machine using the cash machine providers exchange rate we will charge 1.5% (minimum £1.50) plus the overseas cash machine provider fees.
Would love to know others comments and MSE. Does this mean the Clairity card is NO longer the best choice for withdrawals abroad?
EDITED:
Hmm I do hold a debit, savings and account and a clarity card with Halifax. Let me check.
DOH.....
It appears this IS related to Halifax accounts and looking at the details it is related to their savings accounts. PHEW.
"BASHES HEAD with HAND" that will teach me to avoid reading the bloody first line and not jumping to the charges and interest rates!
Cheers
Dawn
0
Comments
-
That is a shame, been a really useful card for travelling with
0 -
Really bad news. I will be in Thailand next month. Looks like the card will be cancelled after that.
I am not sure what the next best option is?0 -
Really bad news. I will be in Thailand next month. Looks like the card will be cancelled after that.
I am not sure what the next best option is?
Alternative to Halifax ClarityI'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0 -
I have just called the Halifax to query this. The advisor said it wont be happening on the Clarity card. She says they are not able to change this in the terms and conditions that have been signed and agreed.
I would be interested to hear from anyone else regarding ths0 -
I have just called the Halifax to query this. The advisor said it wont be happening on the Clarity card. She says they are not able to change this in the terms and conditions that have been signed and agreed.
I would be interested to hear from anyone else regarding ths
Fingers crossed.
Halifax is still advertising the Clarity on its website as offering:- No cash withdrawal fee (some ATM providers may charge a fee)
- No fee to use it anywhere worldwide
What you were told about them not being able to change the T&Cs is probably not true.
http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/terms-and-conditions/clarity-card/:20.1 We may change charges (or introduce new charges), minimum payment amounts, statement dates, payment dates and your credit limit.0 -
Hi All
I just got a letter from Halifax in the post wherein they stated that they will NOW be charging for withdrawals abroad.
Text of letter:
From two months after you recieve this letter there will be the following charges:
A non-sterling transaction fee of 2.99% of the amount withdrawn, and;
A non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the amount withdrawn (minimum 1.50)
Alternatively if you withdraw money from a overseas cash machine using the cash machine providers exchange rate we will charge 1.5% (minimum £1.50) plus the overseas cash machine provider fees.
Would love to know others comments and MSE. Does this mean the Clairity card is NO longer the best choice for withdrawals abroad?
Cheers
Dawn
Would it be possible to scan the letter/take a photo of it and edit out any personal information and post it here please?I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Folks, no need to panic. I've just spoken to Halifax and even the CS agent confirmed with her manager that they will NOT be introducing any forex charges on the clarity card. I suspect the OP is either referring to a non clarity Halifax card or is telling porkies....happy to be proved wrong though
0 -
baby_frogmella wrote: »Folks, no need to panic. I've just spoken to Halifax and even the CS agent confirmed with her manager that they will NOT be introducing any forex charges on the clarity card. I suspect the OP is either referring to a non clarity Halifax card or is telling porkies....happy to be proved wrong though

I would doubt the word of any customer service agent as most of them don't have a clue about company policy or are the last to know about any changes from higher up.
As you said, either the OP has a different Halifax cc, although why would they state 'will NOW be charging for withdrawals abroad'? Only the Clarity card offers no fees, all the other Halifax cc's charge for it already. Hence why it's vital that OP comes back and posts proof as it would affect a lot of people.I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0 -
baby_frogmella wrote: »Folks, no need to panic. I've just spoken to Halifax and even the CS agent confirmed with her manager that they will NOT be introducing any forex charges on the clarity card. I suspect the OP is either referring to a non clarity Halifax card or is telling porkies....happy to be proved wrong though

:rotfl:
This part is a bit weird: "From two months after you recieve this letter there will be the following charges".
I would have expected them to have given a date. How do they know when the letter was received?
Finger still crossed... Let's hope you're not proved wrong.
0 -
Candyapple wrote: »I would doubt the word of any customer service agent as most of them don't have a clue about company policy or are the last to know about any changes from higher up.
As you said, either the OP has a different Halifax cc, although why would they state 'will NOW be charging for withdrawals abroad'? Only the Clarity card offers no fees, all the other Halifax cc's charge for it already. Hence why it's vital that OP comes back and posts proof as it would affect a lot of people.
The charges are different to those listed here.
Hopefully this is a change for non-Clarity cards.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
