GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Is it safe to switch to a smaller provider?

PS: I am not against consumers being protected, I am against a man with a computer getting a supply licence and when it all goes t**ts up handing back it to Ofgem to sort out.

Surely, in light of our excellent result, one of us should start a living room company, offering 10 year capped deals at way below cost, we all sign upto them, and then when it goes bust, we get picked up by someone else who will honour the contract, and everyone else covers the losses :D

Now that would be moneysaving ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it just me that has found it rather coincidental that since the 'switch' to Co-op I've been bombarded with marketing spam from Ovo through my letter box? This despite having never had anything to do with Ovo nor given them access to my personal details.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    Is it just me that has found it rather coincidental that since the 'switch' to Co-op I've been bombarded with marketing spam from Ovo through my letter box? This despite having never had anything to do with Ovo nor given them access to my personal details.

I was with Ovo in the past but all the mail that I have received has been of the generic nature; i.e., to The Occupier.
  • Seejuu
    Seejuu Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never been with Ovo and have not recieved any mail from any company suggesting I switch from GB Energy Supply.
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where do we submit meter readings now? The form on the GBES site has gone now.
  • mparter
    mparter Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So when I first signed up to GB Energy a couple of years ago, I was paying £97 per month for gas and electricity. This dropped to £91 shortly before they went bust.

After Co-Op took over the accounts, I requested a refund as I had built up a £440 credit on my account (so was clearly paying too much). I left £150 credit in my account as a buffer. Today, I received an email from them saying they need to adjust my monthly payments to £105!

So despite it being clear that £97 was too much, they now think I need to pay £105! I'm wondering if they want me to be in credit by a couple of hundred pound which is why they are increasing my payment. Or maybe they want rid of me as a customer as I'm on a fixed cheap tariff and I'm costing them money?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mparter wrote: »
    So when I first signed up to GB Energy a couple of years ago, I was paying £97 per month for gas and electricity. This dropped to £91 shortly before they went bust.

After Co-Op took over the accounts, I requested a refund as I had built up a £440 credit on my account (so was clearly paying too much). I left £150 credit in my account as a buffer. Today, I received an email from them saying they need to adjust my monthly payments to £105!

So despite it being clear that £97 was too much, they now think I need to pay £105! I'm wondering if they want me to be in credit by a couple of hundred pound which is why they are increasing my payment. Or maybe they want rid of me as a customer as I'm on a fixed cheap tariff and I'm costing them money?

DD payments are nothing more than payments made on account. You will be charged for what you have used at the agreed fixed tariff rates.

Is the revised DD amount based on an actual meter reading that you have provided to the supplier? How long do you have left on your present contract?

I know my annual consumption in kWhs; I monitor my consumption monthly, and I know before the supplier does whether my monthly payment needs to go up or down. The problem that suppliers have is that they do not have a crystal ball so the algorithms that they use to calculate usage are at best a guess. For example, I have PV Solar but my supplier doesn't know this so my annual consumption based on Winter consumption is much higher than what I actually consume over a 12 month period. Hence the need to monitor and have a conversation with the supplier if needs must.
  • satchef1
    satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Mines going from £72/month to £106/month.

Sure, it's not an increase in charges. But there's also been no increase in usage. My account is still in credit, even coming out of Winter. I can't see why the payments should be going up.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I have had the same today, my winter 6 months rate is being hiked massively by £100 a month and my summer 6 months reduced a bit but still more than enough for my use.

Having just come out the winter period (the summer rates start from April) I have only a small deficit that will soon clear. If I were to pay the new rates its clear I would have a huge credit by the end of next winter!

I certainly don't run a bank and intend lending them hundreds of my money for months or want the hassle of trying to get them to refund it.

So I will take the lower summer payments and settle up and switch away come the winter rates.

They get monthly reading, why can't they just take payment for what is used?

(and it was all going so well, I was even going to stay another fixed term)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure