anyone bought fitbit or similar??

Options

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the garmin Vivofit that's on hotukdeals. I think it's gone down to £35 now but it does me as I was intregued how much I walk at work
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2017 at 1:36AM
    Options
    Best bang for your buck at the moment is the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 which does all the usual step counting as well as having a heart rate monitor and phone alerts (i.e. buzzes when you get a message).

It also functions as a watch & the battery lasts 2 - 3 weeks.

You can get it delivered direct from China through Gear Best for around £20ish or less (will take a few weeks to arrive) or can buy from a UK supplier for around £10 more.

http://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_362705.html
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • wanttobeasaver
    Options
    I have a Fitbit HR & I love it. Well worth the money. I bought it after xmas with money I received as gifts
    Save 1500 - (Monzo Card Pot by Dec 2021) 1020/1500 
    12 NSD MAY 3/12
    Lose 21lb by July .......................4 /21LB 
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold mine! Know how far I walk and how badly I sleep and to be honest, the Fitbit clicks up the steps when you move your arm in a walking motion so how accurate is it?
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope that nobody thinks this an arrogant post - but what is the point of Fitbit or any simlar watches?
    As Techno has pointed out out, you know how far you have walked/run/cycled, and the intensity (how you feel), so what is the point?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not sure that most people do know.

If you get out a map and plan a 10 mile walk or a 20 mile cycle then that is about what you will do. If you just walk to town and walk round the shops and then walk home - how much is that? It is a more common scenario than the planned walk.

The majority of those I know who have started using one were shocked to see how little they moved when they thought they were reasonably active. I also think that setting a target, whatever it is, and then recording against it does encourage some people to do a bit extra if they are falling short on a given day - which can only be a good thing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I hope that nobody thinks this an arrogant post - but what is the point of Fitbit or any simlar watches?
    As Techno has pointed out out, you know how far you have walked/run/cycled, and the intensity (how you feel), so what is the point?

If you have a sedentary office job like I do, having a fitbit to make you aware of just how little walking you do in the course of an average day is incredibly motivating. For example I walk for about 25 minutes to get to work, and that gets me up to 2000 steps. Some days I get a lift to work and don't get any morning steps in - and my fitbit is a helpful reminder to try and do extra activity elsewhere to make up for it. Otherwise it's all too easy to just ignore my lack of activity.

I also sync my fitbit up with myfitnesspal, to tell me how many calories I've burnt through activity which has helped hugely with weightloss.
    It's not for everyone, but I've had my fitbit for over two years and love it.
    Edit: Mine is also pretty much spot on in terms of accuracy. I know this because I've compared the data to gps apps, and also manually counted steps (because I'm sad like that)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have a sedentary office job like I do, having a fitbit to make you aware of just how little walking you do in the course of an average day is incredibly motivating. For example I walk for about 25 minutes to get to work, and that gets me up to 2000 steps. Some days I get a lift to work and don't get any morning steps in - and my fitbit is a helpful reminder to try and do extra activity elsewhere to make up for it. Otherwise it's all too easy to just ignore my lack of activity.

I also sync my fitbit up with myfitnesspal, to tell me how many calories I've burnt through activity which has helped hugely with weightloss.
    It's not for everyone, but I've had my fitbit for over two years and love it.
    Edit: Mine is also pretty much spot on in terms of accuracy. I know this because I've compared the data to gps apps, and also manually counted steps (because I'm sad like that)

Fair play to you, because it is obviously working:beer:
    I also have a sedentary office job, and manage to go to the gym three or four times before work during the week and at weekends as well.
    I also walk quite a bit, and if and when the weather cheers up a bit, will try walking to work and back a few times a week (12 miles return trip). I also do housework and gardening.
    I have heard some tales of people using Fitbit in order to "reward" themselves with treats once they have reached a certain target, although I suppose the same could be said of some folks after they go down the gym.
    I suppose at the end of the day, it is a case of "each to their own";)
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 May 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    andygb wrote: »

I have been asking myself that for years.

Maybe they think the more technology they use the fitter they will get.

I can understand the use of Garmin watches for people who do ultra marathons and alike, to track their progress over the hours and make sure they dont get lost, but for running around the block whats the point?
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    asset2004 wrote: »
    do you have a link for this, would be interested to try it.
    TIA

Apologies for the late reply, the link is here

£6.39 with free postage at time of posting link.

I've had one since before Xmas, the only issue I have with it is sometimes the strap comes open and it falls off when I'm taking off my coat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW64-Smart-Bracelet-Pedometer-Wristband-Bluetooth-Watch-Activity-Fitness-Tracker-/172073486642?var=&hash=item2810610932:m:mGJsTCU-Cu1r2NPcXkn2flA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure