Menstrual Money Saving

Comments

• I bought my first femmecup last month and ended up using it at the start of a holiday - transatlantic flight and everything. It worked like a dream - almost forgot it was in, much more comfortable than tampons.

It was a bit strange putting it in and taking it out (you definitely want a private bathroom for this!), but having got over the first one Ok, I'm less worried about continuing to use it. I'd definitely recommend it others.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A menstrual cup is a step too far for me (never got on with tampons) - but I have started using cloth pads. I will not go back to disposables.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    I got the Jaydess coil last year. After a couple of months, my period dwindled to barely anything. I now spot for, at most, half a day each month and feel barely any pain at all.

Well worth trying.
  • This thread's a couple of years old but it's a subject that isn't timely. We're bumping it up for #recycleweek next week (starts Monday 25 September).

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Redleela
    Redleela Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 29 July 2019 at 2:36PM
    I have 2 menstrual cups; a Lunette cup and a Fleur cup. The Lunette cup is the firm model and the Fleur cup is pretty soft. I chose them based on a larger cup capacity. I have a Femmecup which was the first cup I bought but it's way too small. I recommend watching some Youtube reviews on the different cups to get the size and firmness/softness right - Precious Stars has some good reviews. I have posted some useful links below.

https://www.preciousstars.co.uk
    https://menstrualcupreviews.net/
    https://menstrualcups.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/www-clothpads-org_menstrualcupcomparisonchart.png
  • Yes! And would wholeheartedly recommend a mooncup or reusable pads to any and every woman who menstruates. So much easier, don't need to run out to the local shop if you start unexpectedly, and so much better for the environment. Apparently each women produces about 11000 sanitary waste items in a lifetime. All of these end up in the sea or landfill.
    I prefer my mooncup but have friends who don't like tampons who use the washable pads. They are an initial outlay but last years :) x
  • I don't think I could bear using them when I have work or need to be out and about in public
  • I don't think I could bear using them when I have work or need to be out and about in public

Weirdly I'm quite the opposite. If I'm using more traditional tampons / disposable pads, I can smell them (I've smelt it off other people, and yes I'm particularly sensitive!). I get no odour with the moon cup, I feel cleaner, less pain, less risk of TSS, no chemicals.... Don't get me wrong, when I've my period I chose which bathrooms I'd use carefully regardless of what protection I was using. But no more squeamish with the moon cup than other sanitary protection.

I wouldn't make proclamations without trying it first. But I will admit, until I got used to using it, I didn't like using public bathrooms - but that didn't take long, maybe 2-3 months.
  • sillyvixen
    Weirdly I'm quite the opposite. If I'm using more traditional tampons / disposable pads, I can smell them (I've smelt it off other people, and yes I'm particularly sensitive!). I get no odour with the moon cup, I feel cleaner, less pain, less risk of TSS, no chemicals.... Don't get me wrong, when I've my period I chose which bathrooms I'd use carefully regardless of what protection I was using. But no more squeamish with the moon cup than other sanitary protection.

I wouldn't make proclamations without trying it first. But I will admit, until I got used to using it, I didn't like using public bathrooms - but that didn't take long, maybe 2-3 months.

The smell from disposable products is usually a reaction with blood and the chemicals within the products. Since my last post I have purchased and tried a cup, after several months I still have not managed to insert the thing! And am still continuing with my cloth pads, which are more comfortable and smell less than disposable pads (even though I store pads until the end of my period untill washing them).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    I don't think I could bear using them when I have work or need to be out and about in public

I work 8 hours a day in a customer facing role, I have never had a problem using reusable pads, I have never had one leak if I get stuck with a customer longer than I would have wished (knowing its that time of the month), I am more comfortable and no longer aware of the tell tale smell you get with disposable pads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure