We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Overpayment of Housing Benefits £14k

Options

Comments

• specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    You say you only have £42 disposable income per month, presumably for the past 4 years you have had £330 ish, have you not saved anything?
  • starbright789
    Options
    I also have a car to repay back so have been repaying that then the rest goes towards my parents mortgage, so no, no savings or holidays
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I pay my own everything now, rent, council tax, water, electricity, all my bills, everything is fully up to date on everything.

You do seem quite organised in that you know you're fully up to date on utilities, rent and CT and I don't wish to be rude, but how could you possibly not have noticed the additional income being received every month ?

Does the original Local Authority even know that you've moved from their area ?
  • NYM
    Options
    Why are you paying towards your parents mortgage ?
  • starbright789
    Options
    I am quite organised in the sense that I fell into alot of debt when I was younger and had bad credit scores, so now because im working, as soon as I get paid I pay all my utilities and rent first, then whatever is left thats what I figure out how to use so i dont owe anything and spend recklessly.
    This is my fault for not checking or questioning things but I just need to figure out the best way in dealing with it now.
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    I smell something fishy here, there's no way that you can be so organised but didn't know about the extra payments, your stement has 2 columns, one in and one out
  • starbright789
    Options
    I realise that, but it has always been online, and i have always been in overdraft hence why I never want to check them in the first place.
  • NYM
    Options
    I also have a car to repay back so have been repaying that then the rest goes towards my parents mortgage, so no, no savings or holidays

Have you moved into your parents home and are paying them *rent* ?
  • tamiami
    tamiami Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Can your parents not get an advance on the mortgage, for what you have paid, and you pay the arrears off with that.
  • starbright789
    Options
    no no, i have only been helping them out as they are both elderly.For clarification purposes, I do not live with my parents, i am not on their mortgage papers, i only help them out as they are old and because I am the oldest I am expected to help them out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport