Overpayment of Housing Benefits £14k

Options
starbright789
starbright789 Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 29 January 2015 at 4:07PM in Benefits & tax credits
I am hoping someone can so desperately help me.
I received a phone call at work asking me to confirm if I work at my company and what salary I am on. I called the council back and enquired why they are asking this.
Turns out they have been paying me housing benefits over the last 4 years which amounts to £14,000
I had no idea as I am always using my overdraft and I hate to admit but I am terrible with money.
I am very very scared that i will be arrested anyday and thrown into prison. I want to make the situation right but I froze up when i was talking to the council on the phone and just hang up.
As I have moved several address in the space of 4 years they had been sending letters to which I did not receive. They sent me the bill via email add and I have sent them a response back asking them to justify this and also asking them how come it has taken then so long to rectify the situation.
I was made redundant 4 years ago and use to go and sign on to get income and housing benefits. On my last day of signing on I told them I will no longer be reciving their benefits as I had found a new job.
Can someone please help me as this is driving me insane and I cannot function.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Of course you won't be arrested and thrown into prison!

You will, however, have to pay it all back if their demand is correct.

It was your responsibility to inform all relevant departments of your change in circumstances, including all of your changes of address
  • starbright789
    Options
    Phew, yes I have written to them to ask them how can start repaying ect.
    so relieved that I will not go to prison. I did inform them in person of my change of situation :( i didnt have to go and sign on any longer so they should see I was in full time employment.
    Thank you Cheeky monkey :)
  • NICHOLAS_2
    Options
    So you didn't notice that extra money in your bank then? Likely story.

Never the less...

I would be interest to know how much they will want you to pay back a month lol.

They will probably want all of your disposable income, so you may have been better off in prison in terms of your future quality of life :o
  • starbright789
    Options
    I have always been into my overdraft and can prove that with bank statements. It's frustrating that it wasnt picked up on sooner. I dont have much of a disponsable income after rent ect so I am always curious as to how much they would like back. I think i have a disposable income of about £42 that is "left over"
  • burlington6
    burlington6 Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    27 years to pay it back :S
  • starbright789
    Options
    thats why I am scared they will send me to prison as there is no way I can pay that back. I have max £300 in savings, again, have bank statements to prove that. I just do not know what to do.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Phew, yes I have written to them to ask them how can start repaying ect.
    so relieved that I will not go to prison. I did inform them in person of my change of situation :( i didnt have to go and sign on any longer so they should see I was in full time employment.
    Thank you Cheeky monkey :)

Why "should they see"? it is your responsibility as the claimant to make sure they are updated with any chances in your circumstances.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • starbright789
    Options
    I know but i did inform them on my last signing on day :( its one big mess really.
  • helping_hand2014
    Options
    ok you have a large overpayment it can be stressful but relax and stay calm

yes you will have to repay the money back they will work it out and send you the repayment plan but if the repayment is too much let them know what you can afford to pay back each month or week aslong as its being being paid im sure they will be happy enough
  • starbright789
    Options
    Ok, thank you helping_hand2014, should I wait to hear back from them? I just posted a letter address to them today, tracked and recorded delivery, do you know how long these things can take?
    I have never owed anything all my life, dont even own a credit or store card as I hate having debt, and now this happens!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure