We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Overpayment of Housing Benefits £14k

Options
14567810»

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The op wont have to pay anything back as their disposable income will drop from £42 a week to a minus figure once the £300 a month stops coming in.

Have the HB told you when they will stop paying you yet ?

I'm sure that she will have to make an arrangement to pay. It is a criminal offence to fail to notify a change of circumstances.
    They won't let her 'get away' with it.

It's vitally important that a Statement of Affairs is drawn up to show where her income is spent.

Paying towards her parents mortgage is not a legitimate expense so she'll make some savings there.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The op wont have to pay anything back as their disposable income will drop from £42 a week to a minus figure once the £300 a month stops coming in.

Have the HB told you when they will stop paying you yet ?

It will be recovered & the LA will attach either benefits or wages to do so. They may take a lower amount each week but it will be recovered irrespective of the o/p having very little dispisable income.

The onus remains on the clm't to report changes. Simply not checking your bank statements will not cut it as a reason.

Bottom line is she has had £14k of public money she wasn't entitled to and she will have to repay it. In addition to that she may face criminal proceedings
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... they had been sending letters to which I did not receive

I'm still confused how HB continued to be paid if the OP didn't respond to any correspondence they sent her?
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    I'm still confused how HB continued to be paid if the OP didn't respond to any correspondence they sent her?

Because claims now have no end date and run continuously. If no letters were ever returned there would be no reason to investigate.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport