Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Defiant, do you watch no BBC at all?

Why should I watch it squirreltufty is your next tactic to try and force feed people who would rather do without it ? I suspect you think its the best thing since sliced bread so why are you people so scared of it going subscription and paying for it by yourselfs ?

Ps have you bothered to check the poll I think you'll see just like every other one the No's outway the yes's
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a waste. I don't watch BBC at all. Ever. I watch all of the channels with commercials. I would rather watch commercials and have good programming than have crap like Eastenders with no commercials. The BBC is rubbish. I'd happily get rid of all BBC channels to save £135 a year. I can't even receive most of the BBC channels anyway.

You didn't watch the spectacular Planet earth? Oh well, your loss.
  • sdwatson21
    Options
    Alledgedly the BBC is the envy of tv viewers around the world - relatively low cost (very) high quality programmes - and I for one believe that this is fairly true - though not without minor reservations. Yes it seems to have lost its way a bit - I don't class reality shows that use the public wannabes to give cheap programming up to its standards - but then I don't like soap operas and many do - hopefully it is being directed back on track.

However I do think the license fee is worth it - ok Sky is up to 4 times more expensive but it does little in original programming but has huge throughput - so you pays your money and takes your choice.

As for compulsory payment - we are unfortunately bound by history - Sky has a technological barrier (a viewing card) which may come for the BBC when digital transmission is the only way forward. I reckon many who profess to not want BBC would return to it when they realised what they are mssing.

And a word for commercial TV - it has been struggling for a while and readily embraced the phone-in method of revenue generation - maybe the demise will now escalate!
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    sdwatson21 wrote: »
    Alledgedly the BBC is the envy of tv viewers around the world - relatively low cost (very) high quality programmes

Low cost :huh: can you tell everyone else here another broadcaster that needs £4.5 BILLION ($9 BILLION)

As for high quality programmes ? that's a matter of opinion but I'm sure all those who have come to expect millions of people to be forced to subsidise them will think its high quality yes
    - and I for one believe that this is fairly true - though not without minor reservations. Yes it seems to have lost its way a bit - I don't class reality shows that use the public wannabes to give cheap programming up to its standards - but then I don't like soap operas and many do - hopefully it is being directed back on track.

So you'd have no problem in paying for it with the rest of the minority via subscription then ;)
    However I do think the license fee is worth it - ok Sky is up to 4 times more expensive but it does little in original programming but has huge throughput - so you pays your money and takes your choice.

We're not talking about Sky or Virgin Media they don't force you to sign up and send people round threatening you but yes the key word is choice and the mighty BBC doesn't give you one
    As for compulsory payment - we are unfortunately bound by history - Sky has a technological barrier (a viewing card) which may come for the BBC when digital transmission is the only way forward. I reckon many who profess to not want BBC would return to it when they realised what they are mssing.

Fine it's not a problem then is it you can pay for it via subscription
    And a word for commercial TV - it has been struggling for a while and readily embraced the phone-in method of revenue generation - maybe the demise will now escalate!

Profits are rising but ITV did have a dry spot yes down to the old controller that didn't have a clue but he's gone so whats the next excuse ?
    sluggy1967 wrote: »
    You didn't watch the spectacular Planet earth? Oh well, your loss.

I didn't but I'm sure it was well worth £4.5 BILLION duh
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Where is the £4.5 billion figure from - out of interest.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    ckerrd wrote: »
    Where is the £4.5 billion figure from - out of interest.

This years increase in the TV Licence and the sales so in simple terms basic math
  • ckerrd
    Options
    So £4.5 billion a year? A lot of money then

Defiant - one of your posts earlier had this line:- I have and so I know the US have the same amount of adverts as the UK and the DVD's without the ads prove it.

I take it from that you were saying that both UK and US television have the same advertising time per hour (for example)

I am afraid this is not the case
    Advertising on TV in the UK is governed by Ofcom and in the US by the FCC

Ofcom guidelines
    The total amount of advertising in any one day must not exceed an average of 7 minutes per hour of broadcasting

FCC guidelines
    Except with respect to children's television programming, no law or regulation limits the amount of commercial matter that a station may broadcast. In TV programs aimed at children 12 and under, advertising may not exceed 10.5 minutes an hour on weekends and 12 minutes an hour on weekdays.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    So £4.5 billion a year? A lot of money then

Defiant - one of your posts earlier had this line:- I have and so I know the US have the same amount of adverts as the UK and the DVD's without the ads prove it.

I take it from that you were saying that both UK and US television have the same advertising time per hour (for example)

the ads are around the same although weekends are different
    I am afraid this is not the case
    Advertising on TV in the UK is governed by Ofcom and in the US by the FCC

Yes and if you take the adverts out of a 60 minute show its around 20 minutes but DTT and pay tv are a little different.

I hope people are taking note again how desperate the BBC supporters are now getting :rotfl:
  • ckerrd
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    the ads are around the same although weekends are different How can they be when no limit in the USA but limits in the UK?

Yes and if you take the adverts out of a 60 minute show its around 20 minutes but DTT and pay tv are a little different. Don't understand this at all you can have a maximum of 12 minutes in the UK so not sure where the other 8 minutes come from. And you can have pay tv on DTT.

I hope people are taking note again how desperate the BBC supporters are now getting :rotfl:

I am merely pointing out that your statement was incorrect about commercial TV. Nothing to do with the BBC there.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    I am merely pointing out that your statement was incorrect about commercial TV. Nothing to do with the BBC there.

okay I'll play along with you.

This is a rip of a US TV show which runs for 60 minutes on the American TV station Sci-Fi with adverts taken out

Stargate Atlantis - 43:42 minutes

http://www.nforce.nl/nfos/shownfoblack.php?nfoid=109027

The next is HEX which was shown on Skyone and also runs for 60 minutes with adverts taken out

Hex - 45 minutes

http://www.nforce.nl/nfos/shownfoblack.php?nfoid=94999

Not really a big difference is it so you see the truth can hurt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills