Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Dan29 wrote: »
    I don't know which channels or countries you're thinking of, but there is no licence fee funded programming broadcast abroad without local broadcasters and/or subscribers paying for it.

Have you gone back in time before Satellites existed now then because the BBC isn't encrypted although that's what the majority want
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ootoobeah wrote: »
    Why should the BBC have the right to make us pay to watch tv? Fair enough if they want to charge us to watch BBC like other channels do, but at least the other channels give us the option.

The problem is that as soon as every programme has to attract a large audience to generate advertising or subscription income, public service broadcasting will disappear altogether - on all channels.

It's only the current funding arrangement that stops the entire television industry slipping down to the standards of some other countries. Things aren't perfect as they are but there would be no reason for any of the broadcasters to produce any non-populist programming if the BBC had to attract mass audiences for as much of the time as possible to survive.
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    Have you gone back in time before Satellites existed now then because the BBC isn't encrypted although that's what the majority want

The BBC saves a hell of a lot more money by not having to pay Sky for encryption than it loses by a few people in France being able to watch via satellite.

Also I don't think that's what greytroot was referring to.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    The BBC saves a hell of a lot more money by not having to pay Sky for encryption than it loses by a few people in France being able to watch via satellite.

Also I don't think that's what greytroot was referring to.

Oh right you think its just people in France that can get it now then ? It always amazes me what people will say to try and defend the BBC but then I'd do the same if my favorite broadcaster had millions of people forced to subiside it
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    The problem is that as soon as every programme has to attract a large audience to generate advertising or subscription income, public service broadcasting will disappear altogether - on all channels.

Not while the government is also telling other broadcasters to do it but I'll let you off for forgetting to mention that!
    It's only the current funding arrangement that stops the entire television industry slipping down to the standards of some other countries.

I think we should all bow to this persons knowledge because I've never come across someone who speaks for the entire television industry like this. I have seen some BBC employee's and pro BBC people talk rubbish to defend it though ;)
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Originally Posted by squirreltufty
    If we lose the BBC we will end up with TV that caters to the lowest common denominator

Defiant said: Is this just your lefie opinion or do you have proof?

The Jeremy Kyle Show. Glitterball. All New You've Been Framed.

I rest my case.

Appreciation of quality is not just a left wing trait!
  • Dalavich
    Dalavich Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    So, that's your BBC career with Jeremy :money:Vine finished then?
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    The Jeremy Kyle Show. Glitterball. All New You've Been Framed.

I rest my case.

Appreciation of quality is not a left wing trait!

which costs me sod all but lets see the kind of tosh which you are happy with to see the majority of the public being forced to pay for

Cash in the attic

oops sorry http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/2907_bbc_antique.shtml

Homes under the Hammer (yawn)

Bargin Hunt (ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

To buy or not to buy :rotfl:
  • gvlewis
    gvlewis Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    And of course the BBC at present is pro all those so that suites your agenda ;)

You just don't get it do you? I don't have a political agenda. All I want is factual balanced News and Current Affairs programming.

As I have stated, I am not happy with the current set up because I think there is too much of a left wing bias. However, I stil think that there is a much better chance of getting the unbiased truth from the BEEB than there is from any commercial organisation.

Despite, what I believe is a bias towards the left, the BBC has a far better reputation throughout the World than any commercial organisation. That is why so many in those areas of the World who don't share the same freedoms as we do tune in. They no they have a far better chance of hearing the truth than Voice of America or any local service.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    gvlewis wrote: »
    You just don't get it do you? I don't have a political agenda. All I want is factual balanced News and Current Affairs programming.

And as we know the BBC doesn't provide that so I sugest you watch Skynews because they do balance things out and listen to both sides of a conflict. They don't have people employed by Hamas either unlike the BBC...

I stil think that there is a much better chance of getting the unbiased truth from the BEEB than there is from any commercial organisation.

Then you either haven't read the facts which have been posted here or work for them in someway
    Despite, what I believe is a bias towards the left, the BBC has a far better reputation throughout the World than any commercial organisation.

The Americans think its biased and anti American, the Isrealis have just picked Al Jazeera above the BBC for news LOL
    That is why so many in those areas of the World who don't share the same freedoms as we do tune in. They no they have a far better chance of hearing the truth than Voice of America or any local service.

Oh you remind me so much how the SS would protect the Nazi party
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport