Forum Home» Boost Your Income

Mystery shopping thread 26 *please read the op first**please no client names or fees - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Mystery shopping thread 26 *please read the op first**please no client names or fees

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
2.6K replies 523K views

Replies

• Hi everyone. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but I've done a handful of shops this year & am wondering if I was supposed to have sent a tax return in? I did register as self employed before I started, but do have another job where I'm an employee. Any advice about whether I need to do this and the easiest way to do it would be appreciated. Thank you!

The tax year runs from April to March, did you do any mystery shopping before April last year?
  • gemmacarolyngemmacarolyn Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Cybi-Ping wrote: »
    The tax year runs from April to March, did you do any mystery shopping before April last year?

No-I started in July 2014.

Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucher, bath time hamper, Dashcam & car cleaning kit.
    Best 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDs, PS4 headset, 6 month Spotify membership, Now TV vouchers, Easter baking hamper
    2020 wins: Dog treats, Teapigs tea, £10+£50 KP Restaurant vouchers

Thanks to all who kindly share competitions!
  • LaracLarac Forumite
    924 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No-I started in July 2014.

Your OK then as the self assessmt which needs to be in by midnight is April 2013 to March 2014.
  • DollardogDollardog Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a link to a specific spread sheet suitable for mystery shopping please?
    Or would some one be kind enough to send a copy of theirs I could use as a template?

TIA
  • missymousemissymouse Forumite
    415 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Tbh I am not earning nearly enough to pay any tax even with my main job. I will start keeping records but most jobs I end up with very little once you have bought something which is more than reimbursement etc and petrol.
  • gemmacarolyngemmacarolyn Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Larac wrote: »
    Your OK then as the self assessmt which needs to be in by midnight is April 2013 to March 2014.

Thank you! Will they send me a reminder after April, or should I look for the forms after then?

Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucher, bath time hamper, Dashcam & car cleaning kit.
    Best 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDs, PS4 headset, 6 month Spotify membership, Now TV vouchers, Easter baking hamper
    2020 wins: Dog treats, Teapigs tea, £10+£50 KP Restaurant vouchers

Thanks to all who kindly share competitions!
  • missymouse wrote: »
    Tbh I am not earning nearly enough to pay any tax even with my main job. I will start keeping records but most jobs I end up with very little once you have bought something which is more than reimbursement etc and petrol.

I believe you will still need to fill in a tax return even if you are not earning enough for it to be taxable - I'm under the tax free limit but have still had to fill them in the last couple of years.
  • missymouse wrote: »

Any extra you spend beyond the reimbursement is not tax deductible, you choose to spend that extra. For instance, I couldn't do an MF clothes shop with a reimbursement for a small item like a tie and buy a nice suit and write off the rest to tax.

You do still need to fill in a tax return as long as you are self employed, even if you earn zero.
  • Thank you! Will they send me a reminder after April, or should I look for the forms after then?

No forms, you fill it out online. You may get a reminder from HMRC but there is a chance you have to look after yourself.
  • BabycakesBabycakes Forumite
    223 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    New Gyp assignments are up now. I cannot see any Pizza ones - have they all gone that quickly?