We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mystery shopping thread 26 *please read the op first**please no client names or fees

Options

Comments

• Cybi-Ping
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but I've done a handful of shops this year & am wondering if I was supposed to have sent a tax return in? I did register as self employed before I started, but do have another job where I'm an employee. Any advice about whether I need to do this and the easiest way to do it would be appreciated. Thank you!

The tax year runs from April to March, did you do any mystery shopping before April last year?
  • gemmacarolyn
    Options
    Cybi-Ping wrote: »
    The tax year runs from April to March, did you do any mystery shopping before April last year?

No-I started in July 2014.
    Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucherBest 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDsBest 2020 wins: £100 cash 2021 wins: 130 books 2021 wins: Jubilee silver necklace 2023: 8xfootball shirts, Spar vouchers, £200 Tesco voucher,
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No-I started in July 2014.

Your OK then as the self assessmt which needs to be in by midnight is April 2013 to March 2014.
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to a specific spread sheet suitable for mystery shopping please?
    Or would some one be kind enough to send a copy of theirs I could use as a template?

TIA
  • missymouse
    Options
    Tbh I am not earning nearly enough to pay any tax even with my main job. I will start keeping records but most jobs I end up with very little once you have bought something which is more than reimbursement etc and petrol.
  • gemmacarolyn
    Options
    Larac wrote: »
    Your OK then as the self assessmt which needs to be in by midnight is April 2013 to March 2014.

Thank you! Will they send me a reminder after April, or should I look for the forms after then?
    Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucherBest 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDsBest 2020 wins: £100 cash 2021 wins: 130 books 2021 wins: Jubilee silver necklace 2023: 8xfootball shirts, Spar vouchers, £200 Tesco voucher,
  • NotAMorningPerson
    Options
    missymouse wrote: »
    Tbh I am not earning nearly enough to pay any tax even with my main job. I will start keeping records but most jobs I end up with very little once you have bought something which is more than reimbursement etc and petrol.

I believe you will still need to fill in a tax return even if you are not earning enough for it to be taxable - I'm under the tax free limit but have still had to fill them in the last couple of years.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    missymouse wrote: »

Any extra you spend beyond the reimbursement is not tax deductible, you choose to spend that extra. For instance, I couldn't do an MF clothes shop with a reimbursement for a small item like a tie and buy a nice suit and write off the rest to tax.

You do still need to fill in a tax return as long as you are self employed, even if you earn zero.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you! Will they send me a reminder after April, or should I look for the forms after then?

No forms, you fill it out online. You may get a reminder from HMRC but there is a chance you have to look after yourself.
  • Babycakes
    Babycakes Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New Gyp assignments are up now. I cannot see any Pizza ones - have they all gone that quickly?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback