PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How often do you....

Options
PenniesMake£s
PenniesMake£s Posts: 93 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 January 2015 at 11:31AM in Old style MoneySaving
Clean your fridge / freezer?
Clean your kitchen cupboards out and wipe inside, doors etc?
Clean your oven?
Clean the inside of your windows and the window frames?
Dust the top of door frames and light fittings?

These are some of the jobs I put off doing, because they are quite boring frankly, but I have to do them and I am curious about how often you all do these jobs. I started doing my kitchen cupboards today and it is taking me much longer than I expected.

Also how do you organise your kitchen cupboards? I bought some food storage containers today for the rice, pasta, lentils etc having previously just stored things in the bags they come in but I need to buy a lot more containers and they're not that cheap so I am also wondering what you all use for this too?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Runcorn_Bridge
    Options
    Defrosted my freezer yesterday, last done two+ years ago.
  • 1of3
    1of3 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Clean your fridge / freezer?
    Clean your kitchen cupboards out and wipe inside, doors etc?
    Clean your oven?
    Clean the inside of your windows and the window frames?
    Dust the top of door frames and light fittings?

These are some of the jobs I put off doing, because they are quite boring frankly, but I have to do them and I am curious about how often you all do these jobs. I started doing my kitchen cupboards today and it is taking me much longer than I expected.

Also how do you organise your kitchen cupboards? I bought some food storage containers today for the rice, pasta, lentils etc having previously just stored things in the bags they come in but I need to buy a lot more containers and they're not that cheap so I am also wondering what you all use for this too?

Hi

I do them when they need doing- if that makes sense? I don't have a specific day/time to do them. I normally stick on the radio or music just to get over the monotony of doing them.

I used to use containers but now stick to bags or boxes that they come in. I often found that if there was a special offer pack then I'd end up keeping it in the bag anyway as it wouldn't fit or that the lid would become loose overtime and stuff would go soft so I invested in some of the clips and found them easiest. I found that it also acts as a visual reminder that I need to stock up on certain items as I am near the end of the packet- but that's just me!
    NOT BUYING IT 2018!

Consumerism is.....buying things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't know and probably wouldn't like even if you did know them.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As little as possible.
    Oven probably once a year.
    Tops of door frames? Can't see them, can't reach them, problem solved.
    Freezer - when it needs defrosting, every year or two.
    Fridge - when I get fed up of how festering it looks, maybe every couple of months.
    Inside of kitchen cupboards..... ermm........no comment.

Oddly enough when I worked in residential care and had a duty of care to those living there I was a stickler for cleaning and hygiene. Just can't seem muster up the same sense of obligation for at home. I work on the basis that if it's only me I'm poisoning, it doesn't matter so much.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fridge - Usually on a Friday when its at its emptiest.

Freezer - Frost free. Doesn't need defrosting.

Kitchen cupboards - Every 3 months or so.

Windows - I try and aim for one side of the house a month. I usually get my son to help with the high windows.

Oven - Steam cleaned at least 3 times a week, hob and oven.

Lights and fittings - Once a month

Tops of door frames - Gets swished with the feather duster twice a week.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Humm

Let me see - I have a self defrosting freezer. No Problem

Easter - the sun starts attempting to shine through the windows and lights up the grime!! There is tempting chocolate around! Put radio on LOUD and scrub - kitchen walls/ tops of cupboards/ move freezer & Fridge & washing machine and clean behind. feel virtuous!:D

Can be re done late summer just before my big summer BBQ I always hold
    Windows - once a month summer - every two months winter

Storage solutions - Wilkinsons and Lidil often have containers on offer and are not that expensive and durable. Herbs and spices I store in ex coffee jars (Dowe Egberts especially good!) Warning!! Be sure to label them correctly!! This means I can buy larger (and cheaper)quantities of these when visiting Chinese supermarkets once or twice a year!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Freezer - frost free

Fridge. - about every two months

Oven- every time I use it it gets wiped out but the shelves get done every couple of months

Larder - all the time I have lock n lock for dry goods and wee jars for spices. Neither were expensive as I got them in blue cross sales I use them because my larder has slide out shelves and it's so easy to see what I have and everything is tidy

Windows, when I'm sick of the smears. Patio doors weekly as the dog makes a mess of them

Tops of doors - can't see them, can't reach them so leave them for the once or twice a year spring clean

Same as elsien in a way. I work in a kitchen and that's scrubbbed down daily and I'm meticulous there about stock rotation and hygiene but a lot more laid back at home
  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    Most of that is under my 'spring clean' so I do it once a year.
    Bar the windows and the fridge cleaning which I do every couple of weeks :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2015 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Fridge - whenever a shelf is empty enough to give it a clean (I don't do the whole fridge at once); veg drawers weekly, before I do the F&V run which I do on Saturdays.
    Freezer - defrost as soon as I see ice crystals fall into the tray at the top (last done about a week ago).
    Oven - main one infrequently, as I rarely use it; micro/combi gets a quick swish'n'swipe every time it's used, and doesn't therefore need a major clean; hob after every use.
    Windows and frames - those I can reach every time a canine guest goes home (I'm a host for a dog-sitting service, and have "nose-art" to remove); kitchen window and frame - whenever I can get DH to do it as I can't safely reach it. Average - probably once a month.
    Tops of door frames and light fittings - weekly with the duster-onna-stick; more thorough clean when I can get DH to do it - again, me and step stools is not a good mix.

Storage - flour, sugar etc in L0ck'n'L0ck boxes; rice, pasta fusilli, and (believe it or not) wild bird food in big plastic screw-top containers given us by a friend; they originally held rice when new, and he had some empties going begging; lentils, pearl barley, sesame seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, dried herbs etc. in old coffee/jam jars scrounged from another friend who hoards glass jars because she can't bear to throw them out. Dried fruit in its packets, all in a flat L0ck'n'L0ck box that was a freebie from somewhere (I forget where). Porage oats in a L0ck'n'L0ck cereal container - I use oats to make fruit crumble, which we have a lot, as well as we sometimes having actual porage, so I get through a lot of oats! Items where the inner packet is in a box, eg veggie suet, stay in their original packs; all jars and boxes are clearly labelled.

Choice of storage containers is whatever I feel will be easiest for me to cope with, as my hands are very arthritic, and I tend to drop flimsy packets very easily.

We had our kitchen completely refitted in September, and I am being very careful to keep the new cupboards tidy and clean up any spills as they occur, so hopefully a twice-yearly take-everything-out-and-do-a-thorough-clean will now suffice.;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clean your fridge / freezer? - I wipe the bottom of the fridge about once a month when I see crumbs, don't ask why I get crumbs in the fridge I just do :D Freezer, mine is frost free so maybe once a year I pull out the bottom drawer and wipe underneath that.

Clean your kitchen cupboards out and wipe inside, doors etc? - About once a year.

Clean your oven? - Probably twice a year. I have big promises of wiping it out regularly after its clean but I never keep it up.

Clean the inside of your windows and the window frames? - About once a month

Dust the top of door frames and light fittings? Tops of doors, every time I dust. Always have done naturally. Light fittings when I see cobwebs.

As others have mentioned when it comes to work its completely different. I am a cleaner in a Nursing Home and my kitchen bin must be cleaned everyday. Thats me saying it 'must be' the bosses say it should be but the other cleaners don't bother (we have our own areas that we are responsible for) Same for my fridge and microwave.

Also how do you organise your kitchen cupboards? I bought some food storage containers today for the rice, pasta, lentils etc having previously just stored things in the bags they come in but I need to buy a lot more containers and they're not that cheap so I
    am also wondering what you all use for this too?

I keep most things in the packets they come in.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    My Mum used to laugh at me when I had to spend the whole afternoon cleaning the oven. She used to tell me to give it a quick wipe every time I used it. Its taken me a long time to realise that she is probably right, but you have got to be really disciplined to do it!

My kitchen cupboards get cleaned out very rarely and the freezer just gets defrosted when it needs doing but the rest of those jobs get done at least once a month. I just find it easier if I can keep on top of things.

Oh and my cupboards arent very well organised, just packets and tins as they came from the supermarket!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure