PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• hebwood
    Options
    Hi there

Either would be fine for me, but perhaps a new thread for the New Year wins.

Looking forward to going forward with KM and you all in 2016.

Thank you everyone. H.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy with a new thread or keeping old.............but does OP still post? A new thread would need a link in first post would be handy just in case someone stumbles across it and ploughs through almost 10,000 posts only to find we have all hopped off somewhere else:rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    See what you think of this as a possible start
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69806464&posted=1#post69806464

Post 3 will be for blog links and articles mentioning MK

Post 2 for other useful links
    Post 4 for links for disposing of things
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Greent that looks great, thank you!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it seems quite apt that we declutter the old - I'm sure the new thread will bring us even more joy throughout 2016!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for getting the new thread going.

As I look back and take stock over other things in my life and plan for 2016. I was working out if KD has been working for me. If you look round the house this morning with mounds of washing and drying everywhere then perhaps you would wonder too! I'm still a short time into my journey but if I look at my mindset there is a change. For me it is a slow and steady wins the race. I dip into KD when I have the time and motivation. I'm not missing the hundreds of CDs, tapes, photos, clothes and the space left behind has made it bright and airy and started to lift my spirits. I have an empty shelf under the stairs at the moment, one of those that are too high to access on a regular basis and have not decided what it should home. Thinking of the photos from under the bed.

I still struggle with the 'I paid good money for that' but I have noticed that now and again I have a 'out you go' splurge as having to have piles of things for car boot/eBay get in the way!

I have finally thrown out the bread bin. Since an early age I have been conditioned into having one. Now I am not too sure.
    Go get it!
  • allybee101
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread greent. And thank you everyone for this old thread.
    When I think back to this time last year I was in a very different place. I dread to think how my life and home would be if I hadn't found this. Probably drowning in clutter.
    It's not been an easy year but if I was still stuck in that old place it would have been even worse. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (or the empty shelf space between the 'stuff'!).
    It has been a joy travelling the kondo road with you all, learning lots and laughing lots, and I look forward to our next chapter.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • GrannyKate
    GrannyKate Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Non MK shopping but I plead a good reason. I bought some storage boxes. I have a large dresser in dining room with three cupboards below. I find it hard to get down on the floor to get things out and have forgotten what is in there even though it was Kondoed earlier in the year. I found it much easier to have things in baskets I can just slide out but they were much smaller than the shelf sizes. So used the two smallest boxes at Christmas as containers for present and hamper. Middle cupboard now contains two larger simple wooden boxes filling the 2 shelves almost completely - these now contain all my table clothes, runners and serviettes. Easily lifted out. 2 very large table clothes of my mothers put to one side - think I should let them go but not sure. Need to get the rest of the stuff out of the other 2 cupboards.

Kondoed some of my Christmas money on pair of pjs - the pair I wore last night are not fit for rags.
    2024 Decluttering Campaign 512/2024 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
    2024 Weight loss target 1/25 lbs
    2024 1p challenge 104/366 days Total £91.91

• greent
    Options
    GrannyKate wrote: »
    Non MK shopping but I plead a good reason. I bought some storage boxes. I have a large dresser in dining room with three cupboards below. I find it hard to get down on the floor to get things out and have forgotten what is in there even though it was Kondoed earlier in the year. I found it much easier to have things in baskets I can just slide out but they were much smaller than the shelf sizes. So used the two smallest boxes at Christmas as containers for present and hamper. Middle cupboard now contains two larger simple wooden boxes filling the 2 shelves almost completely - these now contain all my table clothes, runners and serviettes. Easily lifted out. 2 very large table clothes of my mothers put to one side - think I should let them go but not sure. Need to get the rest of the stuff out of the other 2 cupboards.

Kondoed some of my Christmas money on pair of pjs - the pair I wore last night are not fit for rags.

Totally acceptable - you tried with what you had - it didn't work (but you then re-purposed the ineffective storage) and you've bought effective storage which sparks joy in how you store things - I think that classes as MK! :T

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    Options
    I will add links into the first few posts on the 2016 thread as I find them/ people post them. If anyone remembers any from here which they found useful, please re-post them! :)
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport