Ice Damage to my car

Options
Hi guys,

I need some legal advice here regarding my car. During the night some ice has fallen from the ledge of a private building and landed on my car. It's caused quite a fair amount of damage to my car and has caused the roof to cave in on itself. I can't post the pictures I've taken but basically there's a ledge on the top of the building where the ice has fallen from and another ledge further along the building where there is a huge build up of ice. I'm parked on a council street but the ice damage has come from a private building.

I'm only a student and can't really afford to get this repair work done myself, so I just wanted to know if legally I can claim the repair costs back from the private company? As it seems silly to have a ledge that high up on the building, its clear this kind of thing will happen. Also, it's in no way my fault as I only parked on a council street, it's not in a necessarily dangerous location.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• nidO
    nidO Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you can prove some kind of negligence on the part of the building owner, this is damage for you/your insurance to repair.
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Is one of those situations where it's pure bad luck I think.
    Can't you push roof out with your feet?
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Claim off your own insurance.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid that you will have to claim on your own insurance.

It isn't the fault of the building owner that ice has fallen from the roof, unless they deliberately dislodged it so that it would fall.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • captainawsome
    Options
    Seriously? So if some ice fell off your house roof onto a car parked in the street you'd accept liability and pay for the persons car? No? I'm sure it would be a different story if the shoe was on the other foot. Stop clutching at straws and Accept that it was nobodies fault.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not your fault but it's difficult to see how it's the building owner's fault either. Some things in life are just bad luck and nobody's fault in particular. When they happen you either have to take them on the chin, or claim on your own insurance (if you have any).
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seriously? So if some ice fell off your house roof onto a car parked in the street you'd accept liability and pay for the persons car?

That's just ridiculous.

You should be claiming off them for damaging your ice, denying you the enjoyment of a scenic Winter Wonderland, thereby ruining your Christmas.

You probably also got whiplash.
  • sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it not the school holidays again.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    Claim on your insurance, that's what you pay for.

If there's a viable claim against the building's owners your insurers will pursue it, they're the experts.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    TomJ17 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As it seems silly to have a ledge that high up on the building, its clear this kind of thing will happen. Also, it's in no way my fault as I only parked on a council street, it's not in a necessarily dangerous location.

Thanks for any help :)

If it was clearly a danger why did you park under it?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure