PCN Northwest Parking Enforcement Carlisle DFS

edited 31 December 2014 at 12:56PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
23 replies 3.3K views
CGAT-1979CGAT-1979 Forumite
8 Posts
edited 31 December 2014 at 12:56PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi new to this site and hope to get a bit of help. I recently received a PCN at DFS car park in Carlisle. I am initially writing to the Manager but would like some advice re Northwest Parking Enforcement and the IAS. I have read that although PCN's should not be ignored but in the case of NPE and IAS it may be worth just ignoring this. Any advise would be appreciated.
I have a photo sign and have scanned PCN but dont know how to attach to this post.
h**p://oi62.tinypic.com/2jfy4cw.jpg

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

We are coming to the conclusion that the 'Independent' Appeals Service (IAS) is not as independent as it persuaded the DVLA it was when they were granting ATA status to the IPC. And as such we are advising not to appeal there unless you can provide some absolute proof that the PPC is pursuing on the basis of 'breach' or the NtK is inadequate. So we would need some images to check these out.

To upload a photo/scan, you first need to host it on a free photo hosting site (Photobucket or Tinypic), copy the URL, paste it here, but change the http to hxxp (or remove it all together) and we'll do the conversion. Newbies can't directly upload photos/scans until they've got a few posts under their belt.

So images of signage and both sides of the NtK (your first letter from the PPC) would be useful to us in advising you further.

Have you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Have tried to show the car park sign as below

h**p://oi62.tinypic.com/2jfy4cw.jpg
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • MarkthesharkMarktheshark Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The IAS need reporting to the SRA as they claim to use independent barristers but refuse to name them, this is an offence under the legal services act.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Thanks for the reply Umkomaas. Yes I had already looked at the sticky and thought it meant I had to ignore but just wanted confirmation.
    However I have done some more searching and think it would be a good idea to pay the £16 and pass it over to Parkingticketappeals.org.uk - just would like confirmation that this would be a good way to go.
    I did overstay in a free car park but this was not intentional as I did not see the signs. It was a pouring down the day I arrived at the park and I needed the wipers on fast to see ahead. On leaving the vehicle my priority was getting into the shop without getting a soaking, therefore did not look around the park. Just seen the sign on returning to the car and noticing the PCN on the windscreen. Last time I used this park it was possibly 10-12 months ago and there were no signs up then. Northwest Parking Enforcement Ltd only commenced 28/2/14. Also note they are members of the IPC.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you able to scan and upload both sides of the NtK you've received?

In terms of PTAS - there's been quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing going on there, to the point where we are giving no recommendations now. If you are thinking about using them you need to ask some very pointed questions as to exactly what they are guaranteeing for your £16 investment. Get it in writing!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    CGAT-1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Umkomaas. Yes I had already looked at the sticky and thought it meant I had to ignore but just wanted confirmation.
    However I have done some more searching and think it would be a good idea to pay the £16 and pass it over to Parkingticketappeals.org.uk - just would like confirmation that this would be a good way to go.
    Other services are available for less money - PTAS have changed hands and the Prankster doesn't recommend them - and PTAS do not do IAS appeals anyway.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/parkingticketappeals-changes-companies.html

http://www.parking-prankster.com/private-parking-appeals.html

I can't say much more as I am part of another firm...with the Prankster and others...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks Coupon-mad I am a beginner at this. I did email the manager at the store but I attach his response

[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hello XXXXX i am sorry for your parking ticket that you received on the 23rd December and i sorry that i cannot influence the decision on the ticket. The parking wardens come into the store to ask who's car is who's and then give out any tickets to any thats left. We do not own the car park, the company who own this are called "London Metric" and we only have a relationship with the parking company for our own staff's cars. Again i am sorry and i can only advise you to appeal the ticket with Northwest parking if you wish to take further, kind regards >>>>>

I find his reply strange as if you look at Northwest Parking Enforcement Ltd web site and click on Clients it lists DFS not London Metric - Was he telling the truth? Has he no influence - what would have happened if I had purchased something on that day - I will definitly steer clear of DFS, my mother is moving into a new bungalow shortly and was looking at some of their furniture but I think she will give them a miss now.[/FONT]
    I cannot imagine parking wardens walk round the store asking people their registration.
    Will up load PCN as soon as I get the scanner working.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unless you pay the land registry for the info you wont know the "truth"

but it is clear that he believes that his own company are not the landowner, in which case you would have to take it up with the actual landowner, whoever that may be (even if it is London Metric)

so I am inclined to believe that he is correct in stating his company is not the landowner, so unlikely to have any influence upon the landowner

you stated it was a "DFS car park" , whereas it actually seems to be a car park situated next to a DFS store (which is probably leased, not owned)

these private parking companies do state that they do "surveys" although this may or may not be true, but isnt really relevant now as you have an invoice that needs ignoring or addressing

1) either you appeal it to the IAS (for the IPC) - assuming you appealed to the PPC and failed to get it quashed

or

2) you ignore it for 6 years, only dealing with any LBC or any MCOL that may arise in the future
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • I was not disputing the ownership of the car park but the managers quote that he only has a relationship with the parking company for staff cars. I genuinely did not see the signs as it was a dreadful wet day, only on returning to the car did I see that it is only for DFS use, and as the parking company state DFS are their customers not London Metric I feel the managers quote difficult to believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides