Any problems with ditching Oystercard now?

Options

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    That means that the following information is unnecessary:

The information was not unnecessary.

If you have not used the card for a PIN transaction, you cannot use it for a contactless transaction, irrespective of whether TFL do end of day processing or not.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TfL transactions avoid that requirement by not processing the card transaction in real time, but at the end of the day... when it is physically impossible for the cardholder to enter a pin.

That answers my question! Why don't they tell people this?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't they tell people this?
    I do not understand that.

This TfL webpage tells us:
    When do we charge you?

When you use a contactless payment card to travel, we take a single payment at the end of each day for all the journeys you made, so you're usually charged for your travel the day after you made your journeys.
  • Altarf
    Options
    I do not understand that.

This TfL webpage tells us:

But they don't mention the PIN requirement.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    But they don't mention the PIN requirement.

Don't they?

Does the TfL page headed My card doesn't work address that?

I can't think of anything else they need to say about PINs, can you?
  • Altarf
    Options
    Don't they?

Not on the page you originally posted it didn't.

Why would I go looking for a "My card doesn't work" page, when I want to know *how* to use my card.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    Now that I can use a contactless credit card for travel in London it seems I might as well take my Oystercard back and reclaim the deposit on it. But before I do so I thought I might ask on here if anyone has had any problems with using a credit card on tfl. If my credit card doesn't work then I have to pay the cash fare which is a lot more, so I have to be confident in my credit card. So how's the credit card system working?

I would keep it if I were you. I haven't tried using the contactless card on TFL because I have a gold card on my oystercard. However, if using pay as you go, I would still stick to the Oystercard. I keep my debit card in my purse, in a bag. I wouldn't want to keep taking it out as I approached the barriers. Also you could find that their system corrupted your card and then you couldn't travel without a backup card.
  • Altarf
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    Also you could find that their system corrupted your card and then you couldn't travel without a backup card.

With Oyster, the terminals write to the card.

With contactless, the terminals cannot write to the card, the terminal just registers the fact that the card has been presented.

How will the card be corrupted?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Back to the original question:
    Chomeur wrote: »
    Now that I can use a contactless credit card for travel in London it seems I might as well take my Oystercard back and reclaim the deposit on it. ...

I spotted this on another forum:

[keep your oyster card for] the riverboats, the Emirates Airline, or buses 15H, 402 and 477.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • alexanderalexander
    Options
    I've ditched my Oyster card now and rely on contactless. It's worked so far. I do have a spare contactless card I can use if my main card fails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure