Any problems with ditching Oystercard now?

Now that I can use a contactless credit card for travel in London it seems I might as well take my Oystercard back and reclaim the deposit on it. But before I do so I thought I might ask on here if anyone has had any problems with using a credit card on tfl. If my credit card doesn't work then I have to pay the cash fare which is a lot more, so I have to be confident in my credit card. So how's the credit card system working?

Comments

• SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've had no problems using my contactless (debit) card on TfL, don't use it every day but at least a couple of days a week. I'm keeping my Oyster until the remaining credit has gone, though I will hang onto it since I didn't have to pay a deposit when I got it many moons ago.

Perhaps if you only have one contactless card, it may be worth keeping Oyster as a backup, but if you have more than one it would be fine to return it IMO.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    I find Oyster a bit better than using a credit card.

It reacts quicker at the gate and you only get one account entry per top-up, rather than everyday.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    theEnd wrote: »
    I find Oyster a bit better than using a credit card.

It reacts quicker at the gate and you only get one account entry per top-up, rather than everyday.

Personal choice of course, but the one entry per top-up is because you're paying in advance in order to "pay as you go", contactless is truly pay as you go (also one less card to carry and you don't have to top up). Depends how often you use the service I suppose, for infrequent users I would say contactless is a clear winner, for the more frequent user there is less difference.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm an infrequent user(maybe 4 times per month). Contactless (debit card not credit card) has worked without problem.
  • What happens if the contactless credit card requires a PIN? As you cannot enter a PIN on a bus or Underground, how do you get around this?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What happens if the contactless credit card requires a PIN? As you cannot enter a PIN on a bus or Underground, how do you get around this?

You don't have to enter a PIN for contactless payments.
  • Chomeur wrote: »
    You don't have to enter a PIN for contactless payments.

I thought that as a security measure, 1 in 20 contactless payments requested a PIN?
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I thought that as a security measure, 1 in 20 contactless payments requested a PIN?

That would only be a problem if you used a card exclusively for the tube/bus. If you are using the card normally, then you will be making PIN transactions occasionally in normal shops.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2014 at 2:41PM
    TfL transactions avoid that requirement by not processing the card transaction in real time, but at the end of the day... when it is physically impossible for the cardholder to enter a pin.

That means that the following information is unnecessary:
    Altarf wrote: »
    That would only be a problem if you used a card exclusively for the tube/bus. If you are using the card normally, then you will be making PIN transactions occasionally in normal shops.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Altarf wrote: »

That is my point. What if you are? Or one of the 1 in 20 times happens when you use the tube or bus?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure