Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wow smilie's here, now we can really start the party.

Re- rice. There was a lot of publicity, quite a while ago now, about leftover rice developing an enzyme which could be poisonous (I remember reading the original article in the Guardian food pages which puts it at pre 1995). Several SM seemed to stop selling rice salad around that time.

Current thinking (which I follow) is that this enzyme only develops in rice left around at intermediate temperatures, hot and cold are fine. So when I cook rice salad I decant the rice mixture into a sieve (to drain any hot liquid) and stand it on the emptied pan so it gets maximum exposure to cold air (put it on the back door step or behind the back door if desperate but my kitchen is generally cool). Might stir it to root out any residual heat from the middle or run cold water through (trying not to lose any flavouring). Then transfer to bottom of the fridge (stuff freezes there if left too long) and eat over the next few days. I haven't been ill yet.

So if eating some, I would serve it then put the leftover to cool whilst you were eating and decant to the freezer asap. Hope that helps (not tintended to worry you to death). A friend did his work experience at the local country park and one of the local takeaway owners brought bagfuls of rice for the geese and ducks every morning - but that would have been hanging around, 'keeping warm' for hours and would then be thrown out at the end of the evening.

I went for my check up yesterday and am now allowed to walk (around the house only) without crutches so having a lazy day today. You wouldn't think a half hour drive each way (driver allowed an extra 3/4 hour going but we sailed along) and just over an hour sitting on a good chair in the warm could make you so tired.

Making lots of plans (expanding and filling in my goals for 2015). Some people are doing 15 in 15. So far have lots of jottings (inspirational bits from other people/ principles/ intentions and strategies for making things happen). Need to refine it and try to find more 'f' words (for alliteration not frustration). If I say I have 10 lines of A4 on making my own clothes (and 3 lines of writing on every 2 lines, as the maths paper hid itself) you get some idea. Lots of ideas for saving money but obviously some trade offs with time, but hey got lots of that atm. Going to work on finishing a few small embroidery projects later and must pot up the soup to freeze. Must shake a tail feather.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »
    Wow smilie's here, now we can really start the party.

bdayparty2.gif
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

nowpanicking - risotto is on the planner at Greying Towers for January too - thanks for helping INOD :D

Mint1955 - I certainly do remember you from the previous thread. Exciting times with the move - not to mention the prospect of better weather??? :D

Aloofdragon - thank you for your kind comment :D Jump right in and join us :D

apple muncher - :wave: I love hearing about all the owls you are knitting :D

wishus - it is funny that we call them wormholes isn't it? Or are y'all closet Dr W fans? :D

Goldiegirl - I'm fast thinking that 'rich but simple' is the only way too go - everything else is too stressy! Have your feet touched the ground yet after your momentous couple of weeks? :D
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Ooh thanks Lilt - will look out for them, not keen on the idea of gelatin.

Agreed teapot - Lilty which section are they in? Sweeties? Baking? Free From?

7 week wonder - are the statues as breathtaking in RL as they look in all the pics? Are you going to try to go in different seasons to see what changes light brings?

Cheery - lovely to have you along :D But you're leading the way with MSing, budgeting and busting those renewal quotes - I've gotta keep up wif ya! :D

Upsidedown Bear - you're back :j

mothernerd - goodness! Glad that you've got the all-clear to walk without crutches in the house - but no rushing things - right? And yes, I can understand how a hospital visit can wipe you out physically. Loving the goal setting. Same going on here at Greying Towers, as we get further with a plan, Stan :D

So. Yesterday.

Well, I did spend money. I got the TV guide and some kitchen roll. And I dropped on some YS'd celery in m&$. I was quietly looking at some YS'd mushrooms, but because I got elbowed out of the way by a middle-aged couple :eek: I didn't buy any. Their need was clearly greater than mine........... I did also drop on a branded new fleecy top for £4.99 too. I got it, as I have seen fleeces in CS go for more - that clearly have been worn and are bobbly :(

I paid the credit card bill, and the bank-teller pulled a face..... at the tiny amount...... *sigh*

Yesterday evening we sat in front of the woodstove and just nattered. It was nice :D

For dinner, as it is still December, and Tuesday's are still Thrifty we had soup. And I made.........*drumroll, purleeeeese* - Zuppa di Zio Antonio :D Which, as you will remember, is the soup that muddywhitechicken brought back from her Uncle's in Acrossthepondshire :D Of course, Zio Antonio may wish to have nothing to do with my version, as of course, I made it without meat :o But I hope that he will be proud that I started my version with a soffrito :) Picture here;

009_zpsfbaba9cf.jpg

I hadn't got any fresh parsley, so the leaves scattered on top are shredded celery leaves (Zio Antonio says these are good too :D) and there is a little dried parsley sprinkled over for ponce as much as anything :) Keeper of a recipe, as it is just the sort of ingredients that I have (usually) in the house :D And also, Zio Antonio cooks like I do - bit of this, bit of that, and cook until it's done... :D

Dinner this evening will be curry. I make Rick Stein's Cashew nut curry on a NYE now. It's a bit of luxury, as we don't go out, and I think that this is the 3rd or 4th year running we will have had it. I doubt very much we'll stay up to hear the bells, but I suspect that fireworks will alert us to the fact that 2015 has ushered in. I must remember to put the beans on to soak for tomorrow's meal too - 'Hoppin John' :j

Right, well. Better get a shift-on and greet the day :D

Thanks everso for popping in, reading and commenting. I greatly appreciate it :D

See y'all later.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for doing my meal plan for me GP, I'll just lurk a few days behind ;).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for doing my meal plan for me GP, I'll just lurk a few days behind ;).

But love, there ain't gonna be no oxtail soup here, neither :(;)

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    But love, there ain't gonna be no oxtail soup here, neither :(;)

Greying
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2014 at 8:03PM
    Options
    mmmmmm - soup looks delicious GP!

We too have had soup - thrice this week! - First batch was weekend lunch with homemade chicken bone stock & italian stellini pasta & all the bits of veg that were lurking - OH declared it morish & had two big bowls - I'd say that statement alone is a triumph...

Second time was for my breakfast the next day - finishing up the last bowl - nothing like a warm bowl of soup to chase away the chills first thing in the morning...

Third was a posh pot, picked up red-stickered, so almost free at MrW - we had it for dinner with buttered toast & spinach egg-cups. Cheap & filling - we both enjoyed it - so much so that a different variety with lentils will feature tonight alongside the crackers & 'cheeseboard' (plain eating cheese:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:) ...

In the spirit of frugleness, I shall now venture down the stairs to put on fresh pot of bone broth & pop on the kettle for a cuppa (no heat in our little cottage overnight makes for chilly mornings!)

...and before I forget - the OH wants 'my ladies' to know that he scored two large family size boxes of biscuits for £1 in the 'post-madness-that-poses-for-xmas' sale...
    ...he says he's learning...
    ...nevermind we don't buy biscuits...
    ...ever...
    ...let alone anything that is family sized!:o:rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That soup looks so yummy greying you inspired me to make some for lunch today you can't beat fresh home made soup keep recipes going please doing your leftover cheesy pasta tonight before we pop to friends for couple if drinks to celebrate New Year.
    Frugal challenge 2024

• nowpanicking
    Options
    Ooh soup looks awesome... can you post a link to the recipe please GP? :D

I also had soup last night... must be the season for it! Was lentil with lots of carrots and turnip in it... was very tasty :)
    New starting debt 30/12/2018 £30,164.76:eek:
    Revised debt £29,361.70 2.66% paid
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    wishus - it is funny that we call them wormholes isn't it? Or are y'all closet Dr W fans? :D

Not in the closet at all - I'm a massive Whovian! :hello:
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 863/2024 Awards 🥇
    (26/04/24)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts