Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phew. Managed to follow the breadcrumbs here.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cor blimey, GP, I go out for the day and come back to find you've sold the thread and swanned off in serene richness.

Happy shiny new diary. I'm looking forward to reading your progress on finding your forever home.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    Once upon a time, along time ago I stumbled across your old thread. But life got in the way and although I dropped by from time to time I stopped contributing. Then just yesterday I wondered how the thread was doing and discovered that you'd started a new thread the very same day. So I'm taking the coincidence as a very strong hint from the universe that I should come back and try and hang around this time :)
    Happy New Thread Greying :T
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2014 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

rtandon - thank you and always good to *see* you :D

greenbee - I thought you were going to be yoghurt production monitor???? :D

sugarpuss - shredding sprouts is definitely the way forward, DP has eaten far more since I've been doing that than he ever ate 'whole'.

Hopefuljoy - every post you make is uplifting and full of good news - well done! :D

beanie - wonderful to have you along - as ever :D Take care YOU :D

little_sweetie - resolutions don't work for me - goals or challenges yes, but resolutions are too vague and wishy washy.

INOD - never! It's y'all that keep me going :D

ratrace and svb53 - HELLO and WELCOME - jump right up and join in. Great to *see* you here.

Verbatim - :wave::D
    satchmo1 wrote: »
    Cor blimey, GP, I go out for the day and come back to find you've sold the thread and swanned off in serene richness.

satchmo - I WISH! You realise you made me laugh out loud at that one :D Glad you've found us :D

7 week wonder - Hello again! :D I saw you over on the 'Not Buying it' thread and was hoping all was well with you. How has the new job worked out? It sounds like you have good colleagues again - didn't you mention book-swapping with them?

Well, you will be pleased to learn that I snagged a NSD today :j There was absolutely, positively nowt that was needed, and it was too dang parky to hang around outside, so I can legitimately update my total :D

I have also spent 5 minutes putting away my fabric stash from my recent sewing projects and I have decluttered some out of date (I mean really out of date) spices which were originally a bargain from AF, but 10 bags of ground coriander is stretching even my culinary capacities! So we currently have, oooooh, 2 square inches more of free space at Greying Towers this evening :rotfl:

Dinner this evening was really, really simple food, but golly, it was tasty :D It is a recipe that I have never made before, but it is a keeper. It was a vegetarian version of Dutch Pea Soup - called 'Snert' (be v. careful if goggling.......) from the cookbook The Global Veggie Kitchen by Troth Wells. You can find the recipe I used HERE. A pic of my effort, here;

012_zps4e4f480a.jpg

As I think that the 'proper' version contains smoked ham hock, or smoked pork sausage, I accompanied my version with some flatbreads that had some grated smoked Bavarian cheese (xmas leftover) incorporated in the dough. YUM! :D I also added in some onion seeds, as they make anything taste good.

I can't remember if it wasn't JaymeeO that made this soup on TV - is it the Dutch military that eat this soup every week - on a Friday??? I seem to remember something along those lines anyway. I did compromise and use mushy peas and marrowfat peas, as I for some inexplicable reason, picked up the yellow split peas in the shopping at the start of the month, instead of the green that I intended. It still worked well and was filling, cheap and tasty. Definitely a keeper of a recipe. And, inadvertently, sooooooo right for this type of weather, 'coz baby, it's cooolllllllldddd outside :D'

I like that it's a thrifty simple recipe - at a time of general excess. I think that I'm liking making a 'feast' more special, by actually limiting it to one or two key meals, not making it a month of unlimited grazing experiences (something that seems to have been mentioned elsewhere in blogosphere too....). That said, this is a hearty soup - and I'm sure meat-eaters would love the 'original' version :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

for a declutter - ok it was a two-minute job, but it all adds up!

that garden prunings yielded sufficient heat to boil the kettle - yay for woodstoves :j

for mushy peas :j:D

Thank you so very much for popping in, reading and commenting. I appreciate it very much :D

Now, I'm away to meal-plan in front of the afore-mentioned woodstove :D

See y'all later.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    I was so confused by the garden prunings powering the kettle GP... I had images of small creatures being fed the prunings and then running on treadmills thus powering your new leccy kettle... :rotfl:
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    Good evening chaps! Breaking news...... I've taught Pirin to sit! Next stop taking over the world (evil manic cackle)!!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Greying, stumbled across your diary as have just come back to MSE after a couple of years away. Unfortunately I'm back with a whole lot of new debt so have went back to the PAD thread and am hoping a new diary will keep me on the straight & narrow. :o

Your dinners look lovely and food is something I really need to work on as have been so lazy about homemade food and menu planning. Both my DH and I work shifts so it can be difficult but really need to make more of an effort. I'm hoping you can inspire me!:T
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • sugarpuss27
    Options
    Evening GP the pea soup looks wonderful, hearty and warming. Very cold here today, just above freezing. Our little lane was like an ice rink all day, no thaw at all. However Pheobe (the sun) has been shining her little heart out all day bless her. I have been watching the sparrows fighting over the seed and the Blackbirds having a field day on the suet balls just outside the kitchen window, one Blackbird does look a bit worse for wear and I wonder if our puss has had murderous intentions as he is prone to do:eek: Good for you Billie Blackbird for taunting him through the window. A birdie with some gumption:T
    With Our Thoughts. We make our world - Buddha
    Extra payment every week challenge* 27/04/15 £10.00 Total £1975.18
    CC OCT 14 4422.18/3122.18 = balance 1290.00:T
    Weight loss 2 stone 9 1/2 :
  • laurasavon
    Options
    Just stumbled across your diary,those food pictures look delicious. I love pasta but the other half isn't so keen, might see if I can persuade him to try the dish you made as it looks delicious.

Good luck in your debt free quest
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Food looks fabarooni :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure