PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Elderly parents have moved to a nursing home. How best to deal with their property?

Options

Comments

• stayathomemum
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    What is your parents' preferred option?

Are they able to self fund without income from the house?

Have you considered immediate care annuities?
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/immediate-need-care-fee-payment-plans

There seems to be very little difference between your buying the house and a stranger buying it- remember that you would be obliged to pay full market value.

Are your parents entitled to Attendance Allowance or the nursing care component?

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/registered-nursing-care-contribution

Currently self funding without income from the house.
    Attendance allowance claimed.
    We would be paying market value. Not looking for a reduction at all.
    stayathomemum
  • Argghhh
    Argghhh Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    people are very quick to judge.. either way not a single one of us would prefer our parents money(our inheritance) to get swallowed up in care home fees/ taxes so those who make snide comments are just plain hypocrites
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the current market value?
    What is the expected monthly rental income?#
    What is the potential annual rental income after tax, agents fees, overheads, voids etc?
    What would you need to spend to get it up to rentable condition?
    Are your lives busy or could you manage the rental? Are you emotionally strong (or weakened by parents poor health?) - what if the rental hit a problem? Could you dispassionately cope?
    What other income/capital do parents have?
    What are the care home costs?
    What benefits do/could they claim?
    Do your parents have mental capacity? If not, do you have POA?
    Might your parents wish/be able to return home ever?

Answer all these and more, then ask the question again......
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think he will want possible potential hassle with renting the property.
    You can get agents who will handle the whole thing for you. There's no harm in getting a rental valuation done and then you'll get an idea if it's worth the hassle
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they are getting Attendance Allowance they may also be getting Pension Guarantee Credit which would be reduced if they had rental income from their property.
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Do up and rent out. This will help cover care fees and improve the asset value. Cheap and basic is the way to go.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they are getting Attendance Allowance they may also be getting Pension Guarantee Credit which would be reduced if they had rental income from their property.

The benefits have nothing to do with each other.

PGC is means tested - AA is not.

It seems to me unlikely that anyone who is self funding in a care home would be on PGC - the fees at one near here are £50,000+a year...........and that's for one person.
    http://www.payingforcare.org/care-home-fees
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP, you have not said whether or not you have POA - if not, it would simplify matters to get this sorted out while your parents still have capacity.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    Argghhh wrote: »
    people are very quick to judge.. either way not a single one of us would prefer our parents money(our inheritance) to get swallowed up in care home fees/ taxes so those who make snide comments are just plain hypocrites

People are quick to judge.

However... personally I'd be far more interested in the peace of mind that my parents are financially secure, are well looked after and have the means to pay for it.

To me, that is infinitely more important than inheriting money.

I work, I earn my living and I save for my future. I don't rely on some inheritance that might or might not happen.

I'd put my parents welfare first each and every time.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • mik82
    mik82 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Would the rental income after tax even cover nursing home fees? Given the cost of care this is unlikely. The other thing to consider is that the cost of their care is likely to increase faster than rent even if it does cover it at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure