PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: First-time buyers to get 20% discount on 'starter homes'

Options

Comments

• Typo22
    Typo22 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you volunteering to be the first of the population controlled?
    Age 60, kids 0. I've done my bit already. :cool:
    Ian
  • kayfaz
    kayfaz Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I am 26 and not a FTB anymore...however I still think it's unfair to restrict age limit at 40.

Over 40 and FTB should have been their first priority!

just my 2pence...
  • Suarez
    Suarez Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    How about work hard and save hard for a few years. It's not difficult to buy a property if you are sensible and have the right mind set.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suarez wrote: »
    How about work hard and save hard for a few years. It's not difficult to buy a property if you are sensible and have the right mind set.
    It is if you are paying extortionate rent and fees to greedy rip off slumlords
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • ahomemadetouch
    Options

its not that easy in some parts of the country
    I live in the south with my partner and toddler
    we have an income of 2109.16 / per month
    out goings of 1653.92 - if we never go out or on holiday or by clothes / shoes etdc

The cheapest 2 bed properties near us are at least £100,000
    and we are currently only entitled to a mortgage of £74,000

so its not simply a case of saving for a few years
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes but when house prices for family homes are rising at £1000 a month its not exactly easy....
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...but only if you're under 40.

... and a first time buyer. Yet more blatant discrimination that my taxes are being used for!
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "I am not living in a third world country" does not equate to "I can afford to buy a house." There is ALWAYS a line through the population below which it is not pleasant to be. It could be drawn at 10%, 20%, 30%, or whatever, but somebody is ALWAYS going to be below it.
  • EverGreen_2
    Options
    I am a blend of west and east. .... naturalized citizen who is faithful to the oath. There are plenty of immigrants who work hard, save hard, pay tax hard, and are essential for the econonmy for sure. There are immigrants who, before they arrived, knew very well how to use the system...... same applies for locals. I can give you horrible real example of how the country has been used and abused by both locals and immigrants.

My point is: are you really aware of the government's policy towards foreign investors. "Government" includes labour and conservatives, no difference. They invite foreign investors, offer then residence and citizenship REGARDLESS of the source of that money. Most of them are thieves and money laundering guys. legislation..legislation LOL. That is why the housing market is bubbling in London and around London but not anywhere else. I know the thieves of my country of birth and know where they live in London. One house or flat owned by those thieves can only be affordable to some of you who post in this forum in 500 years hard work, even in top salaries.
    God bless.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EverGreen wrote: »
    They invite foreign investors, offer then residence and citizenship REGARDLESS of the source of that money. Most of them are thieves and money laundering guys. legislation..legislation LOL. That is why the housing market is bubbling in London and around London but not anywhere else. I know the thieves of my country of birth and know where they live in London. One house or flat owned by those thieves can only be affordable to some of you who post in this forum in 500 years hard work, even in top salaries.

Maybe we should rename Marylebone and Mayfair to El Ray, as in where you go after a bank robbery in From Dusk Till Dawn. Amusingly enough, Gorge Clooney seems to be house hunting in London right now.

George Osborne should take a cut like in the movies. Like 50%?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure