Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    First day on the coast has been a lovely day weatherwise but I've come down with a cold over night so although I did walk I only walked about half the distance I planned to and am absolutely knackered from it. After my walk I came back to my hotel to shower and change then went and ate a bag of chips on the beach for dinner, was going to go to a pub/bar for a few drinks but since I'm feeling awful I bought a bottle of wine, some cold and flu capsules, and a bag of hard mints and am back in my room. I think I'm going to amend tomorrows plans to a visit to the Oceanarium and then head up to Ikea and home.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Hopefully have a friend coming over with her husband tomorrow lunchtime to help me build the bed at last!

Now that sounds really dodgy... ;)

Is your bed done now?
    First day on the coast has been a lovely day weatherwise but I've come down with a cold over night

:(
    so although I did walk I only walked about half the distance I planned to and am absolutely knackered from it.

But at least you did some walking.
    After my walk I came back to my hotel to shower and change then went and ate a bag of chips on the beach for dinner, was going to go to a pub/bar for a few drinks but since I'm feeling awful I bought a bottle of wine, some cold and flu capsules, and a bag of hard mints and am back in my room.

:grouphug:

Well you take care of yourself, and don't push yourself too hard when being ill. This is the Voice of Experience (as opposed to the Mysterons). I pushed myself too hard during my recent illness and received an emphatic beating in return.

I'm still not right, so shall be burning remaining holidays to get better.
    I think I'm going to amend tomorrows plans to a visit to the Oceanarium and then head up to Ikea and home.

Enjoy your fishes. And your meatballs.

I assume you're an IKEA meatball fan?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think repeating mentally its a sore throat and runny nose apparently doesn't make it go away - walking along the undercliff road/Prom sections I was mostly fine, having to walk on the soft sand in some places near killed me (they're doing alot of work rebuilding the groynes west of Boscombe Pier), and walking up hill in to town to find drugs and then back up the cliff zig zags was utter utter hell who knew a sore throat stops the ability to breathe through the mouth or nose......

Bed frame is built, need to put the last few slats back in to it, and wash the mattress cover since it was a bit damp and had a few mould spots from being on the floor so long - the matress itself had a couple of small faint spots so sprayed it with a mold spray and left it to dry while I'm away.

I'm actually not a huge fan, last time I was there I tried the veggie/vegan version and preferred those to the original meat ones. But my plan remains go in grab items I want and escape again without looking too closely at anything interesting looking since I don't have anyone sensible to talk me out of spending.

Looking at the rain on my hotel room window and listening to the wind I'm quite glad I've amended my plans already, I'd have been quite disappointed if I couldn't get a decent walk in come tomorrow if I'd still wanted to (bit like when I went to Swanage a few years ago, first day was glorious, second day blowing a gale and horizontal rain near the cliff tops).

It's weird though here I don't think twice about popping in to a bar for a drink alone or a resturant for a meal yet at home I'd be really unsure about it, can't quite work out why that is. Not like I need to be worried about people thinking I'm sad and alone, since my friends/those whom I give two hoots about know I'm quite content being single and doing stuff alone when I can't talk someone else in to joining me.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    And home, this morning the rain was doing that horizontal thing again so I decided against walking to the Oceanarium and instead went to Ikea earlier than planned.

Spent a little more than I planned but that was on a storage pouffe/footstool which is bright yellow and I'd been looking for something colourful I can use as an extra seat when I have guests and I would imagine it'll be tough enough to me to use as a step when I need to change bulbs or reach high shelves. I also found out just how fun the Ikea Family card is - I redeemed my joining freebie (value of the item I picked being £1), had a free filter coffee, and then scanned my reciept on the way out and "won" a picture frame worth £14. So I spent about £34, and came out with £15 of freebies. The frame I don't need so I've already listed it on the local faceache selling page.

My bed is rebuilt, got the cover in the washing machine now, I expect that won't be dry until tomorrow so I've stuck the old bedding back on and will change it for clean once I've put the matress cover back on.

Going to have a brew and then might shuffle the bedside tables in to place so that my bedroom looks like someone lives in it rather than camps out and I stop stubbing my toes on the bedside table in the small corridor outside the kitchen.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    I think repeating mentally its a sore throat and runny nose apparently doesn't make it go away -

But at least repeating it mentally doesn't make it much worse, whereas repeating it verbally would... :grouphug:
    walking along the undercliff road/Prom sections I was mostly fine, having to walk on the soft sand in some places near killed me

I hate walking on sand for that very reason. Usually, the wet sand near the sea is better because it has more "body" to it.
    (they're doing alot of work rebuilding the groynes west of Boscombe Pier), and walking up hill in to town to find drugs and then back up the cliff zig zags was utter utter hell who knew a sore throat stops the ability to breathe through the mouth or nose......

You be careful... :naughty:
    But my plan remains go in grab items I want and escape again without looking too closely at anything interesting looking since I don't have anyone sensible to talk me out of spending.

:rotfl:
    It's weird though here I don't think twice about popping in to a bar for a drink alone or a resturant for a meal yet at home I'd be really unsure about it, can't quite work out why that is. Not like I need to be worried about people thinking I'm sad and alone, since my friends/those whom I give two hoots about know I'm quite content being single and doing stuff alone when I can't talk someone else in to joining me.

Perhaps you're just more comfortable talking to strangers you'll never meet again as opposed to strangers who will "see you around"?
    Spent a little more than I planned but that was on a storage pouffe/footstool which is bright yellow and I'd been looking for something colourful I can use as an extra seat when I have guests and I would imagine it'll be tough enough to me to use as a step when I need to change bulbs or reach high shelves.

It's not "tough" you should be looking for, but "stable" - and I don't mean shaped like a horse...

I have a small set of folding step ladders just for the purpose you've stated. They live down the back of the fridge freezer, so don't take any room. They're not impossible to fall off, but they take some trying.

dilbert-19-06-1996.gif
    Going to have a brew and then might shuffle the bedside tables in to place so that my bedroom looks like someone lives in it rather than camps out and I stop stubbing my toes on the bedside table in the small corridor outside the kitchen.

You toes will thank you for that.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My toes are thanking me, my leg however is not....I keep walking in to the end of the bed.

If I need to I'll get a step ladder but for now I think the stool/pouffe thing will do, assembled its a sturdy thing and as long as I don't fill it with heavy stuff it shouldn't be too heavy to move around to where I need it.

Redeemed £10 supermarket voucher from one of the survey sites.

What's this talking to strangers rubbish - I live in the south now. I do as the Southerners do, sit in silence proecting an aura of "speak to me and die" then open my mouth and they hear a vaguely Mancunian accent and run away anyway. :D
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    My toes are thanking me, my leg however is not....I keep walking in to the end of the bed.

Spatial awareness is what you need - you'll have to practice walking around with your eyes shut.
    If I need to I'll get a step ladder but for now I think the stool/pouffe thing will do, assembled its a sturdy thing and as long as I don't fill it with heavy stuff it shouldn't be too heavy to move around to where I need it.

So how long until you fall off it? :p
    Redeemed £10 supermarket voucher from one of the survey sites.

What's this talking to strangers rubbish - I live in the south now. I do as the Southerners do, sit in silence proecting an aura of "speak to me and die" then open my mouth and they hear a vaguely Mancunian accent and run away anyway. :D

Ah yes, I forgot about that. We had a MSE meet many moons ago, and one person from the South said "...and people talk to you up here!"

Same county - different world...

How's you? On the mend?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    One day I'll be bothered to sort out breaking up posts in quotes.....

Or I could try to remember that I can no longer open my bedroom door and fall face first at the floor and be certain of hitting something soft - now I hit the foot of the bed frame first and thats a touch on the ouchy side.

From seated or standing? :rotfl:

Yup it's incredible the difference, although it suits me being the reserved shy type that I am at home while I'll sit and make conversation with anyone its flippin hard work and I actually much prefer to be left alone and in peace. Especially as I have to be happy smiley and confident all day at work which is extremely hard work at times!

The cold seems to have decided to jump around stages - I'm no longer trying to expell my lungs from my body, which is nice, but have returned to the bunged up nose can't breathe stage, which make my dentist appointment this morning not so much fun - not that I suspect anyone normal likes seeing a dentist - and even less so when it was decided that the cracked/sheered off edge from popcorn eating a few days ago was too big of a missing piece to just file the sharp edge and leave so it meant another filling (in fairness it was a big chunk of tooth that came away but I had hoped it'd be small enough to be left alone for now).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    One day I'll be bothered to sort out breaking up posts in quotes.....

It takes seconds... :p

Cut and paste is your friend...
    From seated or standing? :rotfl:

And with something wet in your hand? Trick is to avoid spilling...
    Yup it's incredible the difference, although it suits me being the reserved shy type that I am at home while I'll sit and make conversation with anyone its flippin hard work and I actually much prefer to be left alone and in peace.

You never know - one day you'll meet a stranger you'll want to talk the hind leg off. And then they'll start talking about their axe... :rotfl:
    Especially as I have to be happy smiley and confident all day at work which is extremely hard work at times!

I know that feeling. I'm supposed to avoid being negative and sarcastic, which given how often the Stupid burns is really difficult.

However, I prefer to just re-cast it as being witty and amusing in the face of adversity.
    The cold seems to have decided to jump around stages - I'm no longer trying to expell my lungs from my body, which is nice, but have returned to the bunged up nose can't breathe stage, which make my dentist appointment this morning not so much fun - not that I suspect anyone normal likes seeing a dentist - and even less so when it was decided that the cracked/sheered off edge from popcorn eating a few days ago was too big of a missing piece to just file the sharp edge and leave so it meant another filling (in fairness it was a big chunk of tooth that came away but I had hoped it'd be small enough to be left alone for now).

Why did you want it leaving alone? Does it make that much difference between being filed and being filled? (Apart from one 'l')
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Fillings mean injections, drilling, and numb face when arriving at work!

Work once again survived. Got to pack an overnight bag ready for tomorrow as I'm on a split shift and then overnighting at work.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills