Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you had a good evening ABA. x

I'm dreading my Dad saying he plans to move out of the family home.....I'd need to rent an entire second flat to contain the books I have here! I only have a limited selection of 'keepers' on my bookcase at my house - until I found the apps I was taking the rest to work for people who visit to take with them.

The one's here I plan to keep whittling down when I visit - need to identify authors I want to keep (Terry Pratchett, Patrick O'Brien, Julian Stockwin, Phillipa Gregory are the first I've decided are keepers) and odd books/topics like my diving books then rehome the others.

Every now and then I think I should stop obsessively entering the goodreads comps.....but I love new books, and the combination of free books, and coming home to a package behind the front door is enticing......

Hi I'm Scubaangel and I'm addicted to winning books. :D
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Happy New Year.

:beer:_party_

Happy 2016!
    I spent my evening tucked up in bed with a book and a selection of bad films on my humax box,

How bad is bad?
    I've had an email this morning letting me know a deposit has been registered in my name for my new address so seems like the agent have the money I transferred

:T:T
    so I just have the bills at the current house and a couple of weeks rent to pay this month. Then next month the horror of sorting out the bills for the new place start.

And all the changes of addresses for those catalogues you get when you bought novelty slippers from a random website some time in the 1900's... :rotfl:

Christmas is almost over and just work to look forward to in the near term. Made any New Year resolutions?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Already started changing non-essential addresses - to my Dad's house let him accumulate junk mail on my behalf. Once I've spoken to the letting agent to make an appointment to sign the lease I'll start changing financial addresses and my driving licence - was fairly painless to do online last time so hopefully it'll go as smoothly this time.

In the meantime I'm back in the south, my house is a complete tip still (had hoped the fairies might have a tidy up for me but I fear any visitors are more likely to have been Feegles). Picked up some bread and milk as the shop was still open as I passed so I shouldn't need to go out tomorrow for anything urgently.

I didn't bring very much washing back with me - took advantage of Dad's tumble drier and hid my shirts in his ironing pile so lots of things to put away but that can wait for tomorrow.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Already started changing non-essential addresses - to my Dad's house let him accumulate junk mail on my behalf.

There's nothing like generosity. And that's nothing like it... :rotfl:
    Once I've spoken to the letting agent to make an appointment to sign the lease I'll start changing financial addresses and my driving licence - was fairly painless to do online last time so hopefully it'll go as smoothly this time.

You would think they'd have it off pat by now. But it is the Government we're talking about...
    I didn't bring very much washing back with me - took advantage of Dad's tumble drier and hid my shirts in his ironing pile

What was his response? "Oh look! Women's clothing which I never wear (except at the weekends) - I wonder whose it is?" :rotfl:

Kind of him to iron them.
    so lots of things to put away but that can wait for tomorrow.

Indeed. Back to work on Monday?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup work monday :(

Dad cleared the ironing pile while hungover - I have a feeling one white shirt looked the same as every other given the state of him at the time.

Brought a couple of folding boxes back with me so think tomorrow I'm going to start sorting out my own DVD's and packing them, there are definitely some which will be off to mm/cex/wherever else might take them but I need to get some more boxes from work to post them - will go visit the post room at work on Monday as thats where they keep the flattened boxes some of our publications come in.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Yup work monday :(

Yes, my thoughts entirely...
    Brought a couple of folding boxes back with me so think tomorrow I'm going to start sorting out my own DVD's and packing them, there are definitely some which will be off to mm/cex/wherever else might take them but I need to get some more boxes from work to post them - will go visit the post room at work on Monday as thats where they keep the flattened boxes some of our publications come in.

How many CD/DVDs are we talking here?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fair few but not hundreds, just feel like lugging most of them around just seems somewhat pointless these days as I can't remember the last time I watched some of them. Am thinking I'm going to aim to get rid of about half of them before I move and then keep assessing the one's I've kept to see if its worth while or not.

Finally got the box of books dropped off tonight on my way home from work, read three more of the books frommy to read box, but all three are signed copies so have been put in a box ready for moving. I had planned to pack the rest and start dismantling my bookcase tomorrow but the letting agent have booked a viewing so I'll leave it until after that's happened.

I've made an appointment to go sign my new tenancy agreement and have an appointment to get the keys and do the move in inventory check for the new place. Just need to work out when I have a full day off work to sort out the move properly! But now thinking about what's best to have in the car when I do go to get the keys - bulky stuff from the porch area to get it out of the way or stuff from in the house - like a bookcase and it books which normally live on it to make some space to pack other things without cluttering the place up completely.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    It's a fair few but not hundreds,

That's a relief... :rotfl:
    just feel like lugging most of them around just seems somewhat pointless these days as I can't remember the last time I watched some of them. Am thinking I'm going to aim to get rid of about half of them before I move and then keep assessing the one's I've kept to see if its worth while or not.

Get rid of the ones that are weighing you down, and keep the ones that are not. If that's half, then that's half.
    But now thinking about what's best to have in the car when I do go to get the keys - bulky stuff from the porch area to get it out of the way or stuff from in the house - like a bookcase and it books which normally live on it to make some space to pack other things without cluttering the place up completely.

Stuff from the porch area - it'll improve access into the house. Your house will be cluttered while packing, it's inevitable and not something to worry too much about provided you don't completely run out of room.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    *whistles nonchalantly* I actually do have hundreds of dvds... Last year, I decided they were taking up too much room, so I bought a couple of wallets to keep them in. Instead of taking up several shelves, they now take up a little over a cubic foof — I definitely recommend this for the ones you want to keep :)
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Finally got the last of the paperwork done for the flat - keys next week, fully move hopefully the week after.

Alot of the DVD's I know I want rid of are the ones my ex left and I've just never unpacked after my parents took them home when I moved north rather than the charity shop (as the boxes were clearly marked). The others are things I bought on a whim but am highly unlikely to watch again - most of them were charity shop buys but while I'm feeling horribly broke from sorting out the move I'll try to get them sent away to get some pennies back for them.

One box has been packed up ready to go to ziffit, 24 DVD's which I should get £8 for which is more than CEX or music magpie were offering for any of them. There are a few which mm were offering a better price for so they're in another box waiting to have more added to get to their minimum order level. Will sort out another heap tonight and drop the boxes off on Monday.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills