Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Managed almost 10 hour sleep last night, which is more than the previous 5 nights in total!

Got the last of my Christmas shopping done at the towns retail park, happily I managed to get in to the Football team's shop 5 mins before it closed at 1pm.

Currently sat on my bed with The Librarian and my Kindle failing to wrap any of the pressies I've bought - though this year I did remember to buy wrapping paper.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Survived Christmas and Boxing Day.

We've not been too badly affected by the flooding up here, a few road closures in the village for localised flooding and looking at the Village facebook group there are a few places that houses have had to sandbag but again no major damage so far.

Sorted out a few books to get sent off to ziffit, and a lonely one for webuybooks (need more to reach the £5 minimum) but been informed I'm going for a run with my sister shortly so will sort some more this evening. Am mainly hoping to get rid of enough that there will be space on my bookcases for the signed books I brought back up here with me.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Survived Christmas and Boxing Day.

As did I - what a coincidence... ;)
    We've not been too badly affected by the flooding up here, a few road closures in the village for localised flooding and looking at the Village facebook group there are a few places that houses have had to sandbag but again no major damage so far.

Well that's good news. I've been watching the news and it has looked bad in many areas. Round here the flood-plains have flooded (as they do) and the horses that live there have looked miserable on their little islands, but no actual harm done (that I can see).

Though having said that, apparently planning permission has been granted to build on one of the floodplains, so I can see that ending in tears...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay for surviving. :beer:

The worst damage in the village was the cricket and tennis clubs flooding - but given they're on the lowest flat land in the area alongside the river that wasn't entirely surprising, unfortunately there are two 150 year old cottages on the same area of land which have suffered from minor flood damage.

Currently trying to find enough books to send to webuybooks as the box for ziffit is filled (ziffit seem to offer better prices on the things they'll accept too which is nice).

Also am down to three books from goodreads I have here which are unread and of the 7 that were here on Christmas Eve only one is signed thus qualifying for a place on my bookcase - the others are in the boxes ready to be sent away.

Once the books are boxed and ready to go I'll start thinking about sorting out internet access in the new place and getting in touch with plusnet to cancel the current broadband - handily the original contract ends in early January so if they supply the new place and are still best value I should be able to start fresh rather than taking it with me since I never use the phone line I don't have to worry about keeping a number.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Been for a run around the more local reservior - far too many people. Although the upside was that I was running not paddling as I was doing the other day.

Beyond that nothing spent, nothing achieved, but I have just cashed out £2.50 at one of the survey sites which is on the way to paypal.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    Yay for surviving. :beer:

:beer:
    The worst damage in the village was the cricket and tennis clubs flooding - but given they're on the lowest flat land in the area alongside the river that wasn't entirely surprising,

That's the sort of thing that should be built there. Parks, car parks, sports grounds, industrial estates, horse fields, nature reserves etc. Not homes.
    unfortunately there are two 150 year old cottages on the same area of land which have suffered from minor flood damage.

That is rather unfortunate - were they ex mill-cottages?
    Currently trying to find enough books to send to webuybooks as the box for ziffit is filled (ziffit seem to offer better prices on the things they'll accept too which is nice).

If they offer better prices, would it not be better to get another box from them and let webuybooks go hungry?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Either ex-mill or farm linked to the original use of the land on the other side of the river.

The ones going to webuy are ones not accepted by ziffit or webuy are offering better money for them - I've plenty of book cases I need to check through so I'm sure by the time I'm heading home I'll have found enough to get to the minimum for them.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Options
    In case I don't get back on before the bongs of Big Ben, Happy New Year and peace to you and yours for 2016. Hope you have a good party.

:kisses3:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year.

I spent my evening tucked up in bed with a book and a selection of bad films on my humax box, drinking an endless supply of tea. It was lovely.

To kick off my New Year of decluttering and trying to finally make a lasting impact on the debt I've printed off the label to post the box of books to ziffit - the nearest drop off location is a mile or so from the house so I'll go there tomorrow before I head south again in the afternoon.

I've had an email this morning letting me know a deposit has been registered in my name for my new address so seems like the agent have the money I transferred so I just have the bills at the current house and a couple of weeks rent to pay this month. Then next month the horror of sorting out the bills for the new place start.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Happy new year! :D I need to sort out my books at some point in the next few months...
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family