Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Options

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The holiday week has begun.

I spent today not doing a whole lot, went for a swim at the lake this evening, the male has now taken my car to the pool this evening for his swim as he didn't feel like getting in and out of his bike kit.

Went to Mr T on my way back from the lake, purchased a box of wine, carton of OJ, milk and some cheese - planning to finish up some of hte random bottles of alcohol in the cupboard this week, so tonight I have a glass of Tia Maria and OJ.

Tomorrows plan is to go for a run, and hit the survey sites.

Got a £25 prepaid mastercard which has been transferred to paypal and will be moved over to the bank tomorrow.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    I read along but rarely get time to comment Scuba.

You are doing really well!

I had a mouldy sealant situation around my the base of my shower tray - I bought some of the thick folding cotton wool, rolled it into sausage shapes and squidged it into the corners covering the mouldy bits, I splodged on some bleach over the cotton wool and left it a couple of hours. Sorted!!
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If I currently had any bleach :rotfl:

The worst area is where my landlord decided to use sealant to keep the shower screen from moving - its a hinged screen so the rubber "foot" thats supposed to keep water from getting out under it has got water under it from being kept in the same position and gone disgusting, I've broken the sealant from around it and cleaned up what I can but its the corner I can't get in to thats really bad compared to the rest.

Although talking about the moldy bits when the rest of the bath is currently full of mud seems daft :o Rinsed out my mud run/trail shoes this morning.

Drain cleaner doesn't clear mud apparently.:o:o

In the meantime I'm SB'ing and trying to find a engage/smores playlist thats crediting on insta. Video loyalty on insta is working for me again after a couple of days of a soft ban and yesterday let me get over 250 watches, so I set it going again early this morning - so started my day with about 20 watches already.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Withdrawn £27 from paypal to the bank. I dipped in to the over draft last week so this should clear that error (I over paid an extra payment to a credit card as I didn't notice the pending payment hadn't come off my balance yet), there'll be a fee to pay but it should be minimal, and as I'm still waiting for the onepoll payment I know I shouldn't have any problems next month.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Had to go in to town earlier, bought three new nail polishes from Boots using my points, so I now have pretty multicoloured toe nails - they were stained an interesting range of yellow to brown shades from the recent mud runs and my old nail varnishes have dried up.

The discovery of said dried up nail polishes meant I then decided to sort out my make up box And by sort out I mean empty the lot in to the bin. Can't remember the last time I wore any of it so no point keeping it cluttering the place up - I have two lipsticks and a mascara left that I do wear occasionally and were not in the box (they live in my toiletries bag in my suitcase......).

Also binned the best part of a ream of paper work from old self employed work.

Sadly all of those things were in a cupboard so out of sight and the rest of the living room still looks just as messy as ever.

Need to pack tonight for my trip to Scotland, so suitcase out, toiletries packed - including a lovely set gift set I want to give to one of the friends we're staying with, annoyed me that I had to unpack it in to the travel bag before I can repack it to give to her - luckily it's not a set that I've had to damage the packaging to get in to it.
    Irritatingly I can't find my solid shampoo and conditioners, I can't remember when I had them last so am hoping they're in the toiletry bag I keep at the males place, if not I'll replace the shampoo bar and tin next time I can get a gift card for the shop from surveys etc, but haven't found another solid conditioner that I think will work.

Feeling reasonably good about the clearing out of stuff but not the lack of my flat getting tidier.

Next up I need to see if Amazon sell ironing board covers for my small table top one so I can get rid of the cheap Mr L's one which I've managed to bend (I burned the cover on the good one, but it cost more at the time to buy a cover than the Mr L's one was at least 18 months possibly even 2 years ago).

While looking for the solid travel stuff I've also discovered that I have more towels than the average small family (5 bath towels, 6 smaller ones, 9 hand towels, four face cloths, and 12 assorted others, not including my three microfibre ones for swimming and travelling), so clearing that little lot out needs to be on the priority list.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• Working_Mum
    Options
    Hi Scuba,
    sounds like things are ticking along!!

You can Freecycle towels etc but also check out your local Women's Refuge - they are always in need of towels for the families who stay with them

You're doing well sorting things out!
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Scuba,
    sounds like things are ticking along!!

You can Freecycle towels etc but also check out your local Women's Refuge - they are always in need of towels for the families who stay with them

You're doing well sorting things out!

I need to sort out which are in any fit state to be used again first.

Today has been taken up by dealing with the RBS fraud team - my "dodgy internet earnings" account had a rather large amazon transaction on it last night which was not me, and then calling Santander to unblock my debit card after I had a brain freeze and couldnt remember my PIN yesterday, I don't have time to sort them all out before I head over to Reading to visit Ikea (want some specific items, have cash for them and only them, wish me luck), and to do a lake swim event.

When I'm home from the lake I need to make myself clean again and head over to the OH's place as we're leaving for the airport from there in the morning for my 5k and half mile swims on Saturday.

Currently trying to work out what I need to pack, so far I have my wetsuit, a swimming costume, a pac-a-mac, fleece top, and sports t-shirt. I'll fly in jeans, so will grab another pair out of the clean laundry mountain (yeah haven't got around to putting anything away this week), and some undies. Will have a look at the expected weather and throw in another top later.

Then I need to work out what sports nutrition I think I'm going to need - I know I'm going to want sports drink but can't decide if I'm best just buying something like lucozade or packing an empty sports bottle with my SIS powder already in it so I just need to add water on Saturday, then if I have space in my toiletries bag for a couple of gels - that said if I don't the male should do.

Already got my two swim packs, a book (proof copy so I can pass it on/leave it behind once I've finished it), and the toiletry bag in my case - everything else is sat on my sofa.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Home from the weekend on Sunday night but only just having chance to sit down and relax.

Spent a little more than I had planned - the weather was colder than I expected (checked the weather, thought it didn't look too bad, forgot to factor in that I'd be wet, and Loch Lomond is often breezy), so bought a zip up top from Primark for £7 - I really wanted one of the Great Swims ones but can't possibly justify their £30 price tag! Plus a little more spent on coffee and food travelling.

I decided to buy my sport nutrition there so spent £10 in tesco on a sports bottle and dissolvable hydration tablets from the brand I prefer, and a couple of gels.

Saturday was a long day with my first swim being at 8am, we left the flat about 6am to get there on time. Weather was near perfect for it, the Loch was flat calm as there was very little breeze until mid morning. I amazed myself by finishing the 5k swim in under 2 hours (about 15 seconds under), I genuinely had no idea how long it would take me so I'm incredibly happy with that. A 5k swim is considered the equivalent to a running half marathon, so given my minimal training I had no expectation of getting anywhere near that sort of time! The male said they saw me coming around the bouy at the end of each lap at a consistant 40 min mile pace, in the water I have no concept of pacing just wanted to concentrate on swimming steadily and had to really talk myself down at the start when I wanted to push harder and faster!

After the second swim in the afternoon we headed back to the flat as we'd made plans to catch up with some other friends in Edinburgh, so all you can eat Chinese food was the post swim refuelling plan. Really good, if you're in Edinburgh China Red is worth a visit.

The friends I stayed with insisted on buying us dinner on the Friday night and then snuck off and paid for dinner for all of us on Saturday too. So I'm going to work out roughly what was spent on assorted food and drinks over the time we were there and send them some cash this week, as when I offered before we left they both said no it didn't matter, but it does to me so they're getting some cash to cover the extra expenditure.

The down side is that while mentally and physically somewhere else post 5k swim I dropped my phone and smashed the screen, I got a screen protector to stop myself hurting my fingers on the broken glass but need to get it replaced as there are far too many edges and holes where shards have come out. So thats going to cost me around £70 this afternoon.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Phone screen replaced at Timpsons, £69.95 with a 12 month guarantee which is about the same price as the local small independant phone shop which doesnt have a guarantee.

Also sold another shpock listing, got the offer this morning and its been picked up already - still only a small item but it's something and £2 in to my tin, I'd really like for people to start paying me for things with a £2 coin instead of £1's though, my £2 tin hasn't been fed in months and it's feeling pretty heavy so I'd like to get it full so I can empty it and pay a chunk off a debt with it.

In earnings today I'm making use of the bonus playlist on s'mores for IGC, 0.77 points per 3 ads instead of the usual 0.7, its not crediting rapidly but often enough. Also the Instagc videos are running happily on my tablet, and phone (when I'm not using it) while I top up the bonus points with Minute staff clicks and trying to do YS surveys. I hit the first target on SB earlier so just running the video apps on my second handset until they finish then I'll turn that one off.

Having finished a few books last week I need to have another go at selling some to ziffit and webuybooks which can be my evening plan I think.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Back at work today.

Remind me again why we have to work for a living?

Another shpock item hopefully sold, all being well the buyer will come tomorrow before I go to work.

Also had a message from DPD saying I have a parcel arriving tomorrow - the only thing I can think I'm waiting for is my loo brush from Nielsen.

Managed to get enough books together to send to ziffit so have placed that "order" and requested that they post me the freepost label as my printer has no ink and I'd rather not buy any until I absolutely have to or see it on offer.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills